Sponsored

Looks like I'm waiting for a 2021 Gladiator

Elanachan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep TJ Wrangler Sport, 2014 Toyota Prius
Vehicle Showcase
I think me and @JeepDreams can agree that it isn't all about the T-factor, otherwise us Jeep girls wouldn't be a thing. Back on topic, it boils down to counting my pennies for multiple large financial obligations, and at best my JT would be second place in that list of things that need to be bought in the near future. I might be getting another vehicle with way better gas mileage before hand to serve as my daily driver (AWD Prius), with the JT coming immediately after for my heavy hauler/play vehicle.
Sponsored

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
I see your Mucho Macho Honcho and raise you the Macho Powerwagon

main.php?g2_view=core.jpg

main.php?g2_view=core.jpg

The "Dude" for that smells like horses and feels like oak wrapped in old leather experience
18rip5gdm6lsdjpg.jpg

Bonus Canadian Fargo Dude camper special, you ladies like dancing eh?
a23439fff3c35479a8366b5d9ed54cde.jpg

The Street Van with all the swag
39_t1200.jpg

And finally the angel/imp combo of The Warlock and The Little Red Express
71930_Front_3-4_Web_t1170.jpg

4772947967_fbcecc7de5_t1170.jpg

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
I think me and @JeepDreams can agree that it isn't all about the T-factor, otherwise us Jeep girls wouldn't be a thing. Back on topic, it boils down to counting my pennies for multiple large financial obligations, and at best my JT would be second place in that list of things that need to be bought in the near future. I might be getting another vehicle with way better gas mileage before hand to serve as my daily driver (AWD Prius), with the JT coming immediately after for my heavy hauler/play vehicle.
Oh I agree there, off roading to me is about as equal opportunity as you can get, all are welcome to challenge! That and I think my wife can read the trail better than me. My usual group is a very bring the whole family into the woods affair which is great because no one gets left out of the fun, the boredom, the challenges and the victories. It's a great affirmational journey of self discovery -not joking here- where anyone can see a challenge, attempt it, be supported and come on top.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
Holy crap this thread has taken an interesting twist.... never knew talking about Jeeps could result in discussing the different polarity's of relationships....

JeepDreams

First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gobi Jeep Renegade. Priors: 2007 Rescue Green Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Holy crap this thread has taken an interesting twist.... never knew talking about Jeeps could result in discussing the different polarity's of relationships....
That's 'cause us Jeep folks are multi-faceted, ya know? LOL

Sponsored

OP
OP
eternus

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
That's what I appreciates about this thread, a lot of stereotype-busting going on (though unfortunately a little stereotype-reinforcing as well.)

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I'll come at it from the other angle. Here's why I did NOT wait to get one:

- The pricing on JL increased THREE times in the first model year as they saw how popular the new model was. The pricing on JT is only going one direction, and that's UP.

- Since this is Jeep's first entry into the hot mid-size truck segment since 1992, I feel they had a lot of pressure on them to bring their A-game right out of the gate, and I'm betting the engineers and bean counters felt it too. Hence, the current model year may very well end up with features of the build that are as good as it's going to get. As time marches on, the bean counters may start to remove this, remove that, change this, etc. to save pennies here and there. I've seen that happen many times in the past.

- Since this is a hot brand new model, the financing is as good as it's ever going to get right now. The banks are having to estimate residuals, since there is no Gladiator sales history to pull from. Therefore, it's very likely that as time moves on the residuals will decrease and monthly payments will go up if you want one of these trucks, which will compound the issue of increasing MSRP each model year that goes by.

- By leasing now, I will be driving the latest model the entire time I'm in the lease, and by the time Jeep updates the Gladiator in 3-4 years I'll be at the end of my lease. This will put me in a better position at lease end because the values will still be high on the current model when it's decision making time.

OP
OP
eternus

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I'm not saying you're wrong, but it is funny how we can all come at the problem from a different angle. I definitely considered why now was better than later and can advocate for the devil in both directions. I'm flummoxed that they managed to bump the price on the Wrangler multiple times last year, but I'm not sure how much that affected the people buying under invoice... I had always heard the price bump as to MSRP, maybe that just made selling at invoice easier, and got people buying because they thought they were getting an even better deal. In any case, we'll see where it goes this year.

Quality, I don't disagree... I don't feel like waiting so they can work out the bugs, I think that was largely handled by the JL already so the JT is that much more solid. That being said, if there is an issue with those inner wheel well liners... that should get fixed, or some low-cost alternative should be along in a year.

The midsize truck IS a hot market, to that end Ford just brought the Ranger back and the Colorado got the Bison. With all this "new talent" in the space, the market is going to get MORE competitive each year so Jeep will either have to keep the price low, or start putting MORE into their Jeeps. The Tacoma has already started to fluff its creature comforts to seem less dated. I predict that Jeep will move the "advanced safety" stuff into a more realistic bundle, at a minimum. Additionally, Jeep LOVES to make smaller specialized versions like the Altitude or Moab... there is a chance they'll create a setup that has some of the stuff I already wanted and make it easier to get my needs met.

Financing & Leasing... this is tricky. This is the biggest reason I have for waiting, I do NOT want a car payment again, so if I can get my budget lined up in advance then I can jump over and not have a new monthly expense. The down-side of waiting, unfortunately, is that my current Jeep will be worth a bit less. )c:

I do like that there are plenty of buyers out there, and leasers. I hate to NOT have one if it means that it looks slightly less desirable... as I want my favorite Jeep mod companies to dig in and make awesome stuff. (I'm looking at you Metalcloak.)

@WXman do you have your Gladiator yet? Your build list looks pretty awesome, so I'll be curious to see some pics. My next year will be looking at Sport S buildouts for ideas. (c:

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel

- The pricing on JL increased THREE times in the first model year as they saw how popular the new model was. The pricing on JT is only going one direction, and that's UP.

- Since this is Jeep's first entry into the hot mid-size truck segment since 1992, I feel they had a lot of pressure on them to bring their A-game right out of the gate, and I'm betting the engineers and bean counters felt it too. Hence, the current model year may very well end up with features of the build that are as good as it's going to get. As time marches on, the bean counters may start to remove this, remove that, change this, etc. to save pennies here and there. I've seen that happen many times in the past.

- Since this is a hot brand new model, the financing is as good as it's ever going to get right now. The banks are having to estimate residuals, since there is no Gladiator sales history to pull from. Therefore, it's very likely that as time moves on the residuals will decrease and monthly payments will go up if you want one of these trucks, which will compound the issue of increasing MSRP each model year that goes by.

- By leasing now, I will be driving the latest model the entire time I'm in the lease, and by the time Jeep updates the Gladiator in 3-4 years I'll be at the end of my lease. This will put me in a better position at lease end because the values will still be high on the current model when it's decision making time.
You do have some great points

Right now there is huge inventory of Wranglers, maybe by design, maybe because sales are slowing, and Jeep has made some good money, but I think they (JL's) and JT's are overpriced.

OP
OP
eternus

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
You do have some great points

Right now there is huge inventory of Wranglers, maybe by design, maybe because sales are slowing, and Jeep has made some good money, but I think they (JL's) and JT's are overpriced.
I heard that they ramped up JL production to prepare for the JTs, but ended up with some delays and all of a sudden had a huge flood of Wranglers to push out. But that's all "friend of a friend's girlfriend read it online" type information.

Sponsored

DamonC64

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rubicon
I'm after a Hydro Blue JT with matching 3 piece color top and that's not going to be available until October so I may just wait a little longer and see what the next model year brings in the form of changes before I buy. So considering this is a 2020 model year that means the 2021 wouldn't get introduced until October of next year. I think based on that I have plenty of time to consider my options.

Last edited:

AJ-MJ

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Grand Cherokee and 1954 Willys
Occupation
Retired
This Green suits me!

Paint Color pg1.jpg

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I'm waiting to see the diesel and hoping they make a couple more options available on a base sport.

I'm going with soft top, so not planning on locking the doors ever. I would really like the premium soft top and LEDs, but not in the cards without jumping up to at least an Overland for the LEDs. I honestly think at the price point LED lights should be standard, but that's obviously not up to me.

DREDnot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave, 2012 Chevy Caprice PPV, 1998 M1123
Occupation
Centurion, Earth Occupation Forces
Yeah, I'm gonna wait for the last model year of the JT...2030 or so. Maybe a used 2030. For decades Ive watched suckers pay way too much to be first and get crap first year or two. Id rather get a deal and no bugs to fix. When I was looking at them at Overland expo, one of the reps asked me what I thought about the truck and I told him Its a cool truck, but no way is it a twentieth of a million dollars cool. His expression and canned answer told me hes been hearing that a lot. They are sitting on the lots here in AZ ...in all five shades of grey...haven't seen one on the street yet either and Ive been looking
Sponsored