Sponsored

Made a bonehead move...worse than cheating on my wife...

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
Funny how this thread went from a bone head move to a MT love fest! And what’s not to love with a topless MT!
Sponsored

ADK Tiro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Music Teacher
MT all the way. I have the JTR and it is a dream off road. Put it in 4WL and you don’t need to touch the clutch - only to go into 2nd. It feels more powerful shifting on the road than the automatic did - I test drove an automatic.

I also had a Ram 1500. No regrets trading it in for the Gladiator. I never wanted to buy the Ram in the first place. The owner of the dealership talked me out of the Gladiator. I wish the manual had about 1000 more pounds for towing, but my wife and I were going to downsize the camper anyway. It’s not reason enough to regret it, though.

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
Probably a pain to off-road in it (a manual.)
Sooooo not true. A solid connection between the engine and wheels works much, much better than an Auto's slippy torque converter. In my Ram I hated how I had to rev it up to get over an obstacle, then it would shoot down the backside bouncing up and down. Smashed my rocker panel early on doing that.

With a stick and the 84:1 crawl ratio you get with it (4.1:1 diff & 4:1 xfer case), you can idle up most grades and over significant obstacles without touching the clutch. You learn to judge what's coming up, getting in the right gear & having it stay in the gear you want, so the trannys not shifting at crazy times.

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Sting Ray, 6 Speed (YES!)
I’ve had at least 7 full sized 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks over the years and close to a dozen or so Jeeps for hunting/playing (mostly pre ‘70 mil-surps). Plus a Trooper, M715, Wagoneer and Corolla. ALL manuals. (See a pattern here?). I liked them all. I’ve had a ‘95 Discovery and a ‘14 Silverado with automatic. Disliked them both with strong regret for buying them. My Gladiator is a manual and I do not have enough words to describe the joy I feel every time I pull out of the driveway. I don’t understand the complaints. To me it is the best driving stick shift of them all.

bring44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Professor
In a moment of pure weakness and thinking I needed a full-size truck for the space (kids, house, etc.) I traded in my 2020 Gladiator for a 2020 Ram Laramie. UGH. I feel like I want to puke. I literally regret it so much I can’t sleep at night and don’t want to drive the Ram. I had some equity going into the Ram so my immediate goal is to get back into a Gladiator ASAP and chalk this up to a life lesson. The 2021’s look great so I’m thinking Red or Blue and possibly manual this time. I might try and move up slightly from the Sports S I had too. People who have a manual - you happy with it?
Never again will I stray from Gladys! (That’s what my kids called the Gladiator) I’m a dumba$$. Until we meet again.
The 2021 is pretty much the same truck with an updated steering box and worse colors. I sure you could work the fix into your deal. Sooo...

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jeep24MA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
The 2021 is pretty much the same truck with an updated steering box and worse colors. I sure you could work the fix into your deal. Sooo...
So you think a leftover 2020 is the way to go? The steering column is fixed for free under the recall from what I see for 2020’s. Other than that, unless you get the Willys or 80th I don’t see much difference.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
In a moment of pure weakness . . .
This is a good thread, lots of neat things said, BUT -

No, it was not worse than cheating on your wife. Just sayin'.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I have a manual, and love it. That was a big selling point for me. You will hear some don’t like it...first is too short (but needed if you crawl) and after I put on 35’s I never use 6th gear usually 4th sometimes 5th on HWY. definitely take one for a test drive but if you enjoy driving a manual, it is a pleasure.
I dig the manual too. Does everything I need it to do. https://www.youtube.com/c/JTRSpartacus

58F494E7-5518-4E83-BF07-496215B47951.jpeg

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
You learn to judge what's coming up, getting in the right gear & having it stay in the gear you want, so the trannys not shifting at crazy times.
The auto has the "manual stick" mode to keep it in a gear

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Sting Ray, 6 Speed (YES!)
I’m sorry, I gotta say it. The “manual mode” and the “paddle shifters” on automatics are as much of a joke on a Porsche as on a Hyundai (and everything in between). It’s makes it a manual as much as a skirt on a boar makes for a prom date.

OP
OP

Jeep24MA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I’m sorry, I gotta say it. The “manual mode” and the “paddle shifters” on automatics are as much of a joke on a Porsche as on a Hyundai (and everything in between). It’s makes it a manual as much as a skirt on a boar makes for a prom date.
Agreed!

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
Also agree. In manual mode, my Ram's 8-speed was good about keeping it from upshifting from my selected gear, but it wouldn't hesitate to drop down a gear against my wishes. I think it did it just to piss me off.

bring44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Professor
So you think a leftover 2020 is the way to go? The steering column is fixed for free under the recall from what I see for 2020’s. Other than that, unless you get the Willys or 80th I don’t see much difference.
Sponsored