Magnuson TVS1900 Kit Available Now

fonzie

First Name
Alfonso
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2020 JT, 1996 Bronco
Bonehead award of the day goes to me… My coolant pump wiring did not have a fuse or perhaps I pulled it out during install (doubt it). Smh
Jeep Gladiator Magnuson TVS1900 Kit Available Now A4E64262-27C8-4547-BEDA-9753009D2C7F

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
Off at the shop!

Yes, Washed it before dropping him off, just embarrassing to drop off a road grimed rig.

crashnburn80

First Name
Crash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Supercharged Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Vehicle Design Engineer
My Gladiator appears to have suffered catastrophic head gasket failure with the Magnuson supercharger. The driver side head gasket looks to have failed, pouring massive amounts of oil onto the driver side cat and throughout the engine bay and undercarriage. It is difficult to see in the photo but the highest point the oil contact is on the underside of the exhaust manifold. The crossmembers were all dripping in oil, and even the rear axle has oil on it.

Jeep Gladiator Magnuson TVS1900 Kit Available Now tempImagegboQm5

The truck was at light boost on the highway when there was a distinct abnormality (moderate pop/bang noise) followed by massive amounts of smoke and steam, reduced power, rough running. I immediately pulled over to the shoulder on the highway, and oil almost instantly flooded all lanes of the highway (in the rain).

I cannot see anywhere the oil would be coming from other than the head gasket, especially one that would immediately affect power and engine operation. Engine coolant is still at the correct level. I installed the blower myself, Jeep already knows it is highly modified from taking it in for another issue. Pretty annoyed.

Edit: Supercharger was installed 9 months ago.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
I don’t think they added anything, looking at some older pics that tube (guessing the one close to the alternator, that runs to the air in take?) is metal on other installations. Maybe they changed the material?

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
Awwww that sucks huge!

who installed, what time? You have the maggi warranty backing you up?

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
My Gladiator appears to have suffered catastrophic head gasket failure with the Magnuson supercharger. The driver side head gasket looks to have failed, pouring massive amounts of oil onto the driver side cat and throughout the engine bay and undercarriage. It is difficult to see in the photo but the highest point the oil contact is on the underside of the exhaust manifold. The crossmembers were all dripping in oil, and even the rear axle has oil on it.

Jeep Gladiator Magnuson TVS1900 Kit Available Now tempImagegboQm5

The truck was at light boost on the highway when there was a distinct abnormality (moderate pop/bang noise) followed by massive amounts of smoke and steam, reduced power, rough running. I immediately pulled over to the shoulder on the highway, and oil almost instantly flooded all lanes of the highway (in the rain).

I cannot see anywhere the oil would be coming from other than the head gasket, especially one that would immediately affect power and engine operation. Engine coolant is still at the correct level. I installed the blower myself, Jeep already knows it is highly modified from taking it in for another issue. Pretty annoyed.

Edit: Supercharger was installed 9 months ago.

Phlegmon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator
Occupation
Radiologist
Head gasket failure should leak coolant, not oil. Pretty sure you punched a hole in the block (rod failure). What are your details? What tune are you using? If you were running the included Mag. tune, you should be under the Mag. warranty (unless you had a non-SAE shop install it).

Sponsored

cmb396

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Head gasket failure should leak coolant, not oil. Pretty sure you punched a hole in the block (rod failure). What are your details? What tune are you using? If you were running the included Mag. tune, you should be under the Mag. warranty (unless you had a non-SAE shop install it).
^What he said...

Phlegmon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator
Occupation
Radiologist
You're looking at a new shortblock, at a minimum. Bright side: Now's the time to build your motor! There are now forged pistons and upgraded rods for Gladiators. This would be the time to do it. Get a new shortblock from Jeep and find a reputable engine builder. Then, message DaveCS1 (he's SUPERBLY tuning Magnuson equipped Gladiators... and he's a cool guy) and crank up the boost! The supercharger included in the Magnuson kit can efficiently run WAY more than 8psi.

Sorry about your luck, man. This one ain't gonna' be cheap for you.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
There are a number of lightly used longblocks on FB market place and ebay. They run about 2500. That will be the most reasonable. Once you purchased one I would promptly replace both intake camshafts, rockers and lifters.

The next cheapest option, would probably be Bruiser Conversions.

Not sure what the operating conditions were for the failure, but many available tunes do not have adequate part throttle fueling. Running them on the interstate or in cruise can be a dicey situation as the boost wants to build to pull the truck in the higher gears. The people that use my tune will notice a fair amount of part throttle torque off the line. This is because I have designed in the part throttle fueling and cam strategy to keep things safe.

I am curious if you had any service lights or the avengers symbol befor this happened? It takes a fair bit of noise to get to the destruction phase. If lights are not turning on and power is not going away, I cannot imagine how it has been calibrated, but that is a borderline practice in my book.

crashnburn80

First Name
Crash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Supercharged Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Vehicle Design Engineer
I installed the supercharger myself. So no warranty coverage from Magnuson. It is still running the stock Magnuson HP tune.

Engine still ran and had reduced power when I turned it off. No visible signs of damage on the lower block, though it is a very tight area that is difficult to get adequate visibility. The truck didn't make any bad noises before the failure. The day before there was a minor burning smell when parked in the garage.

You're looking at a new shortblock, at a minimum. Bright side: Now's the time to build your motor! There are now forged pistons and upgraded rods for Gladiators. This would be the time to do it.
Already ordered an 835hp Rivian not long ago which will be quicker. I'd rather not sink unnecessary money into this truck at this point.

There are a number of lightly used longblocks on FB market place and ebay. They run about 2500. That will be the most reasonable. Once you purchased one I would promptly replace both intake camshafts, rockers and lifters.

The next cheapest option, would probably be Bruiser Conversions.

Not sure what the operating conditions were for the failure, but many available tunes do not have adequate part throttle fueling. Running them on the interstate or in cruise can be a dicey situation as the boost wants to build to pull the truck in the higher gears. The people that use my tune will notice a fair amount of part throttle torque off the line. This is because I have designed in the part throttle fueling and cam strategy to keep things safe.

I am curious if you had any service lights or the avengers symbol befor this happened? It takes a fair bit of noise to get to the destruction phase. If lights are not turning on and power is not going away, I cannot imagine how it has been calibrated, but that is a borderline practice in my book.
No check engine lights, only odd thing was stability control and auto start would sometimes shut off on long drives. No obvious bad noises. Truck ran perfectly fine right up till it didn't.

atoy74

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Dave, what are the main reasons why Magnuson's tune is causing problems vs what you've done?? What is it about their tune that's causing this catastrophic failure but seemingly only after some time?
Sponsored