Sponsored

Mall Crawler and 40s....

SloW8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
I texted the guy running 40s on stock axles and he had no issues in the last year of driving.

If you do jump to 40s on a pavement princess, I'd have your suspension inspected every 15k miles by someone who knows how to properly check ball joints etc... As others have said, rotate and balance your tires regularly and you should be fine.
Sponsored

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
A Gladiator is basically the Swiss-Army knife of vehicles: 1) it's a truck, 2) a convertible, 3) an off-road vehicle, and 4) comes with the fun experience and presence of owning a Jeep.

I'm new to the Jeep world and plan on enjoying all 4 aspects of my Gladiator, but you'll have to enlighten me why there's disdain for "Mall Crawlers" (which basically enjoy 1, 2, and 4 above).

I would imagine Mall Crawler owners help buy plenty of aftermarket gear, which would only expand the vehicle's popularity. And at the end of the day, what do you care if the OP takes his Jeep to the ballgame on a Saturday while you take yours off-road?

A little education here is appreciated...

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I'm new to the Jeep world and plan on enjoying all 4 aspects of my Gladiator, but you'll have to enlighten me why there's disdain for "Mall Crawlers" (which basically enjoy 1, 2, and 4 above).
Because most (I said MOST) mall crawlers are posers. They buy their vehicles from dealerships at outrageous markups to pretent like they have put in the money (actual pocketbook pain) and time researching parts/upgrades and installing them (either ourselves or through a small business/mechanic). That they also take the time to learn about off-roading, the responsibility it entails, the skill for actual wheeling instead of just a gravel road, and the risk posed to our well-being, physically and financially. They try to look like us but without putting in their dues or time, and will frequently be a soccer mom who just wants the sense of security coming from a Jeep with a winch. They act beligerant as drivers, because often they have money and spend copious amounts of time at the mall (hence the name) living oblivious lives to those around them. Also in part it is the disdain for those who are wealthy by means of not hard/honest work (ie daddy's/husband's money, inheritance, etc)

ETA: I'm speaking at least from experience, having dealt with plenty of kids and day-drinking housewives rolling around and being asshats on public asphalt. There are rare cases where someone bought a built up Jeep from the dealership, and actually WANTS to go off-roading and join me on outings.

Lynn_F

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
To each their own...I work hard for my money and do most of the work on my Jeep myself. That being said I cant afford to spend the money to repair the thing after every offloading trip nor go without my gladiator for more than a day because I wont have a way to get to work. I can understand why some people may think it's silly to spend 60K on an offroad capable vehicle and not take it offroad but I personally dont understand how people spend 60K on a daily driver and then take it offroad and tear it up. Moral of the story is that people can and should spend their money however they'd like and then damn sure do whatever they want to with what they buy.

Sponsored

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
Okay, so it's the poseur aspect of a modified Jeep with no intentions of using any of the equipment that was (more than likely) overpaid for...

When I surfed and skated in my younger years, we looked the same way at surfer poseurs here in SoCal...

6299f58a-rolls-royce-ghost-surfboard-01.jpg

That being said, unlike the Wrangler which honestly doesn't offer *that* much utility, the Gladiator is a truck and a guy like me will use it primarily as a truck and secondary as an off-road vehicle. We've already mapped out some SoCal trails, which the kids are going nuts for...

But I sounds like the OP is on this board and trying to learn more about his vehicle and how to properly fit it, so I think maybe a little more support and less eye rolling for a guy like this would be beneficial.

Stuck-up Soccer Mom in the Wrangler with 40s? Yeah, eye roll that b*tch.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Got my JT in February and at last succumbed to the 255-80-17 tires. That size AT3w only weighs 52.5 lb, which is 10 lb. lighter than the similar but wider Rubi size, so my ball joints should be safe. I don't want to have to get the tire/axle option requiring a specific shade of green paint, the John Deere. :giggle:

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Nerd Alert!
I have no horse in this game but increasing diameter of tires (and wheels) puts a lot more forces on the components than just the "scale weight" of the tire itself. So it's not just that 37" weighs 10# more, its the fact it's 10# more AND it's on a longer moment arm.. Like a longer wrench.
So even if they weighed the same, it would still put a lot more force on your components.
Increasing negative offset or pushing wheels out further also adds torque to some components in a similar concept.
Search Rotational Inertia and gyroscopic Precession for examples.

Silvertruck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
We should listen to the dude more, and hate less. I bought my JTR with lift and tires. Then I mercilessly researched the next steps. Can’t get it offroad often supporting a family but its heaven when we do. The jeep gets comments and thumbs up on every pavement parade I take. I spent an hour on soflojeeps.com because frankly they have a bad ass custom roll bar/tire carrier option I might emulate.

Making fun of a rig that spends time on pavement is like calling a hellcat a poser for not breaking speed limit. Indeed, no less bad ass. Jeep is a culture man, lets all dig it no matter where we are livin’ in it. All of you get my clumsy jeep wave.

EE7C0209-E822-4E7F-B7B3-0CD550BBE1A7.jpeg

victorval

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020
Agreed.....
I’m 5000 miles in rolling 40’s with no issue cruising around, 80mph hwy, etc....with zero negative effect on anything.....yet.

But.....there always a but lol.....Even after 5.13 gearing, I’m awaiting the arrival of some RCV axles, which will get the job done more or less (deletes FAD and insanely stronger than Stock axles.)
Even after that, I’ve broken enough shit over the years to realize that the D44’s will certainly eventually fail on the trails with 40’s.
I’ve learned that It’s just to easy to yank the 40’s off for wheeling to use 37’s. Beat the snot out of it, wash’er up, slap the 40’s back on for around town.

Hell, I had 2.5 ton Rockwell’s on a rock bouncer for several years while on 43 stickies. Broke those shafts several times and finally had to do the Ouversons conversion to 2” shafts. No more breaky breaky, ...never...ever.

Point being: Alabama Mud Machine is 100% spot on. With what you currently have (my shit included) is on somewhat of a borrowed time situation running 40’s on D44’s, even with upgrades. That rotational mass equation is never forgiving!

But....the irresponsibleness in me forgoes logical reasoning because the look and feel of the 40’s is so satisfying. I hereby declare that I will continue to roll the absolute dog shit out of them lol!

Thats what I do! 37's on the street 35's on the rocks!

Sponsored

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
Hmm...saying that you’re either an awesome rock crawling dude or a poser maul crawling wench Is a false binary choice.

I will rarely if ever rock crawl and if you see my jeep at a maul, some wench stole it. I do however have a lake house in NY and a ranch in Texas that regularly require 4 wheel drive access and hauling of materials where the five foot bed is just fine. I Love the styling of my JTR and like the look of 37’s, so I’m about both looks and utility.

salvino

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GC Trailhawk/ 2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Finance Guy
Vehicle Showcase
I was actually surprised at how long it took for this to get nasty. As someone who overlands whenever I can, but it isn't often enough, I say it's only the owner's business what he does with his rig.

Having said that, I think 40s on stock axles for driving on pavement only is a total waste of money.

Slyboots2313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Let’s be honest, if you wanted to build a rig to smash on the rocks, the JT isn’t the best platform. No shame in spending your money on what you want, brother. For me, I’ll hardly see serious off-roading, but the JT is so much more fun for the family than a Tacoma. All that “mall crawler” stuff is either in jest or machismo. Most Jeeps don’t off-road. Most sports cars never see a track. Spend your hard earned cash on what you like. But you may want lockers in case you decide to crawl over any Priuses.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
It was a legitimate question--finding out the reasonable, semi-practical limit in tire size. Most Wranglers, and even a greater % of JT's I bet do a lot more pavement pounding and malling than they get opportunities to go on dirt, two-tracks, rocky trails, etc. Still, there is that allure of "I CAN go off road, I CAN take that trail" which drives a lot of our preferences and purchases. Here in NV where I almost never see even a puddle of mud 1/2 inch deep, I see a lot of jacked up pickups with huge mud tires. Most of them never get off the pavement, I suspect. I bet some of them have to change ball and universal joints more frequently than oil filters. I'd much rather see them, with owners who enjoy them, than the happy Prius owners.:LOL: