Sponsored

Max Tow and Lockers

Red Hot Sloth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Yea, per axle. I was quited $800.00 labor for a complete ARB front rear locker install from my local tech’s.
I cant recall iff the top if my head which vendor it was that had the complete front/rear ARB locker kit including compressor, wiring harmess and hoses but it was just under 2k. Might have quadratec.
Anyways, $800.00 labor for the install of said kit is a decent price around me in SoCal. So I’m looking at 3k...
Just empty every pocket hahaha!
Sponsored

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Is adding lockers difficult or expensive?
Yes, it’s basically the same labor as doing a gear swap to a different ratio. When I had them installed in my old JK it was about $800 in labor, plus the lockers themselves.

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
Is adding lockers difficult or expensive?
yes not a garage install unless you have significant experience and tools. Best left to a shop. Expect it to cost about $2k for both axles for install (parts extra). May as well do gears too at the same time.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, installing the locking carrier setup in my boss's wrecker sounds easy compared - took me maybe a couple of hours. But then it wasn't electric or vacuum operated.
Once you get into the gear swapping then it takes some serious attention - pinion depth, preload, carrier preload, lash, checking the pattern...... time involved.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Will adding lockers aftermarket drastically decrease payload/towing?
Axle parts are considered "unsprung" weight and therefore don't affect payload at all. Payload applies to things that add load to the suspension.

I think the standard BLD system works fantastic in low range. I don't miss having lockers at all. If lockers were a must for me, I would have gotten the Rubicon because it would be easier to add Max Tow coil springs to a Rubicon than it would be to add Rubicon lockers to a Max Tow.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Axle parts are considered "unsprung" weight and therefore don't affect payload at all. Payload applies to things that add load to the suspension.

I think the standard BLD system works fantastic in low range. I don't miss having lockers at all. If lockers were a must for me, I would have gotten the Rubicon because it would be easier to add Max Tow coil springs to a Rubicon than it would be to add Rubicon lockers to a Max Tow.
Logic.

If a person is in a fix where you want lockers, you may want the sway bar disconnect as well. Lockers are for serious situations where the electronics won't handle it - the BLD for example.
Then you get Rubicon - the towing isn't that much lower with a Rubicon than max tow and even payload isn't enough different that I personally would be concerned.
7,000 pounds towing for Rubicon - 7600 for max tow - 600 pounds difference.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Logic.

If a person is in a fix where you want lockers, you may want the sway bar disconnect as well. Lockers are for serious situations where the electronics won't handle it - the BLD for example.
Then you get Rubicon - the towing isn't that much lower with a Rubicon than max tow and even payload isn't enough different that I personally would be concerned.
7,000 pounds towing for Rubicon - 7600 for max tow - 600 pounds difference.
650, and for me it was a big enough difference. 500lbs of payload more so.

What is BLD?

I wont need a sway bar disconnect because I dont like rock crawling, which is where the articulation would be needed (perhaps in deep ruts on trails too?)

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
650, and for me it was a big enough difference. 500lbs of payload more so.

What is BLD?

I wont need a sway bar disconnect because I dont like rock crawling, which is where the articulation would be needed (perhaps in deep ruts on trails too?)
In some places it's called "Brake Lock Differential" and others it's referred to as "Brake-Limited Differential". In any case, it uses the brake at each wheel to force power to go to the opposite side of the axle. It works like a Limited Slip Differential, except that it works better because it's electronically controlled and it happens in the front and rear. And there are no clutches to wear out or friction modifier required. Some folks say it will wear out the brake pads faster, but I've never seen that and you'd have to spend a large majority of your miles in 4L to see that.

khokhonutt

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport
The answer to this really is, it depends a lot on your locker solution. A lunch box locker can be done in your garage and is cheap, but there are functionality and comfort considerations with those. They work well on the trail, but can be a bit squirrely on the road. Anything selectable or anything (like a true track) that replaces the carrier means you're going to have to set up the gears. That's where expertise, and therefore labor, increase the cost. A good gear guy is well worth the extra labor cost and will probably help steer you in the right locker/gearing decision for you.

Ghostwave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 cj8
LOL - Well, I hope it's adding to.

I have a personal or vested interest in this - my own JT Overland.

My plan is to measure my truck as it sits, sides, both ends, top of axle tube or housing to some part of the truck that will never change.
Then load it up with the max payload on the door sticker, measure again.
Then unload it and hook up my car hauler, load up a car (my longest if the traction bars and headers clear the trailer bed when loading) and measure it all again.
Then put in the max tow rear springs, do it all over again, measure everything load it up with payload, measure, unload, hook to car hauler, measure it all again and so on.
The max tow springs should arrive in a couple of weeks.
Bought some Rubicon springs if arrangements work out getting them to Iowa- will see what I can do to compare those, too.
Doing it all in the same truck should be the best way to see - what does each set of springs do when compared in a controlled way.
So let me get this straight. You want to bring data into an Internet forum?

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So let me get this straight. You want to bring data into an Internet forum?
Yeah, that's sort of like bringing wine to a kegger I suppose...........

BrentThomas

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Rubicon, 19 Cherokee, 93 C3500 454, 04 Silverado RCSB
Following

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Well, based on my first off roading experience, I did not need lockers. I didn't even need 4L going up coal truck roads on a mountainside. When DO you need lockers?

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Well, based on my first off roading experience, I did not need lockers. I didn't even need 4L going up coal truck roads on a mountainside. When DO you need lockers?
When "road" is more of a suggestion than a designation.
Sponsored