Metalcloak lift

Coyotesong

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Does the 3.5" MC gamechanger lift sit nose high? Or does it just look that way in pictures?
Sponsored

Billet Wilson

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock, 2021 JT Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Does the 3.5" MC gamechanger lift sit nose high? Or does it just look that way in pictures?
I literally just spoke to Metalcloak on the phone and they said there is a 1" rake. I think the higher fenders on the Rubicons are causing the illusion the fronts sitting higher.

WhiteJT8541

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
LEO
Anyone with the MC lift have their rear springs bowing? Every time I hit a bump I keep hearing a metal clanging sound coming from the rear. I was underneath the jeep and had friend stand on the bumper and jump up and down and can hear the rear springs rubbing on something. Any ideas from anyone?

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Anyone with the MC lift have their rear springs bowing? Every time I hit a bump I keep hearing a metal clanging sound coming from the rear. I was underneath the jeep and had friend stand on the bumper and jump up and down and can hear the rear springs rubbing on something. Any ideas from anyone?
I guess you already centered the rear end with the track bar ? One side is not sticking out farther than the other ?

I guess the rear tires are already centered in the wheel wells ? ie. they are not too far forward or back ?

Also, changing the pinion angle also changes the caster and slightly changes the how parallel the mounting surface of the spring is on the axle. Maybe try rotating your pinion angle up or down a little in the rear ? -- trying to get your spring mounting surface on your axle as parallel as possible to the top spring mounting surface ?

Last edited:

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
i have seen few people with MC springs on a JT and it does look lower than most manufacturers that's why i went with EVO 2.5" and MC arms.
Can you tell us more about this setup ? I am thinking of doing the same thing.... EVO 2.5" springs, All MC arms & kit, Falcon SP2s (I also go to the desert a lot). Any pics ? recommendations ? best places to buy ? Thanks again for any info.

Sponsored

Coyotesong

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
What are you setting your rear lower control arm length to with the 3.5" GC? MC calls out 23.75" which is the same length as the factory arm. I know MC states that their dimensions are just a starting point but just wanted to see what people were setting their arms to. I would think that the arms should be slightly longer than factory to make up for the tire shifting forward due to the lift.

OP
OP
jeepncrowd

jeepncrowd

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon (WILD MED)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I'm going to ask again, since I never got an answer the first time. Anybody else 3.5 inch lift really seem like a 2.5" lift? I was with another JT this weekend with a 2.5" front spacer lift on 37"s with steel bumper and winch ( like mine) and he was right at the same height as mine.

Captn_Obvious

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator Rubicon (Sting Grey)
On 3.5 GC lift with the falcon 3.3’s and a flipped drag link, I am at 3 bumpstops all the way around.
sass JT - If I may ask, what are your seat of the pants impressions of the falcon 3.3's? They're pretty pricey, wondering if you dial them in to a softer setting if they actually will eat up washboards, unforeseen last second hits-ruts on the trail, and really crappy, uneven city pavement, potholes etc.. Can you really bomb trails that much faster? I will probably never be doing hard core rock crawling (the type that unleashes carnage on your undercarriage) but I do enjoy running moderate to intermediate trails here in N GA, which can be full of surprises. Plus, it's a dream of mine to be able to simply sail over RR tracks and city speed bumps in a plush manner, like they're not even there. Thanks.

Last edited:

Captn_Obvious

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm going to ask again, since I never got an answer the first time. Anybody else 3.5 inch lift really seem like a 2.5" lift? I was with another JT this weekend with a 2.5" front spacer lift on 37"s with steel bumper and winch ( like mine) and he was right at the same height as mine.
Still waiting on my wheels so haven't installed my 3.5 GC yet, but seen a couple threads making me wonder about it - I'll definitely be taking before and after measurements. I have heard the mopar 2 in and evo 2.5 in are both reported as netting higher than advertised.

bcunning82

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Bright White
Still waiting on my wheels so haven't installed my 3.5 GC yet, but seen a couple threads making me wonder about it - I'll definitely be taking before and after measurements. I have heard the mopar 2 in and evo 2.5 in are both reported as netting higher than advertised.
I took measurements on mine and got a hair more than 3.5" at the front bumper, which is where Metalcloak has told me they measure.
Before/After Lift Change from ground
Hitch: 0.25"
Center rear fender: 1"
Rear Rock Rail: 1.25"
Front Rock Rail: 3.25" (seems wrong based on front to back increases)
Front Fender: 2.5"
Front Bumper: 3.625"
This was shortly after the lift and I have not remeasured with setteling.

Sponsored

Captn_Obvious

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I took measurements on mine and got a hair more than 3.5" at the front bumper, which is where Metalcloak has told me they measure.
Before/After Lift Change from ground
Hitch: 0.25"
Center rear fender: 1"
Rear Rock Rail: 1.25"
Front Rock Rail: 3.25" (seems wrong based on front to back increases)
Front Fender: 2.5"
Front Bumper: 3.625"
This was shortly after the lift and I have not remeasured with setteling.
Ty bcunning82 - afraid I'm a complete newbie, but does seem puzzling. Like why do you net only an inch or so in the rear - is that to be expected? (Guess I would expect 3 1/2 in gain at all 4 corners) Have you emailed or called to run these numbers by them? I've found them to be pretty great w/ customer service and being willing to field questions.

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
sass JT - If I may ask, what are your seat of the pants impressions of the falcon 3.3's? They're pretty pricey, wondering if you dial them in to a softer setting if they actually will eat up washboards, unforeseen last second hits-ruts on the trail, and really crappy, uneven city pavement, potholes etc.. Can you really bomb trails that much faster? I will probably never be doing hard core rock crawling (the type that unleashes carnage on your undercarriage) but I do enjoy running moderate to intermediate trails here in N GA, which can be full of surprises. Plus, it's a dream of mine to be able to simply sail over RR tracks and city speed bumps in a plush manner, like they're not even there. Thanks.
Hey I'm here to answer a few questions you asked ... I like my 3.3's and they are my 2nd set, I had a previous '17 JKU with MC 3.5" GC lift with these same shocks... just not the sp2 versions. (have an adjustment to get softer vs sportier) I have been in a few different rigs... and I'll tell you... unless you are doing coil overs and/or fully adjustable resi shocks... you will "never ever" ride like a Cadillac in a jeep (that's due to the solid axles and having a stupid front swaybar). That's my opinion.

I have my 3.3 sp2's set at 2.5 most of the time, and i enjoy the ride soo much more than the bouncy, super loose, lumbering, shake you down the road ride the factory had. The best things about an adjustable shock is that you can adjust it to your style. The other day I had to haul azz up to the trail head to meet my wheeling buddies. I put it on 3 and ran... so good on the corners but you feel the bumps. On the trail... always set to 1 and I air down on my 37's to 12/13 psi, they are awesome on the trail and yes i can bomb faster than most... depending on how big the rocks are. When I go over railroad tracks, you feel them but your not jiggly bumping bouncing your head everywhere. The ride is controlled and there's a quick jarring and bamm done you forget that you went over them.

So here's my thoughts on types of shocks. Monotubes... basic at best, will start to break down when heated up. Remote Resi's... step up from mono's and you get better feel. Adjustable remote resins... dial in that feel even more. Adjustable remote resi's with up and down adjustments... even better to get the perfect ride to how you like it... coilovers with adjustable resi's... super hard to beat because you can control all up and down travel and you can adjust to your loads ( the one caveat... you will always be adjusting them and will require lots of fiddle work)... whew... I'm sorry did you ask a question???

Captn_Obvious

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey I'm here to answer a few questions you asked ... I like my 3.3's and they are my 2nd set, I had a previous '17 JKU with MC 3.5" GC lift with these same shocks... just not the sp2 versions. (have an adjustment to get softer vs sportier) I have been in a few different rigs... and I'll tell you... unless you are doing coil overs and/or fully adjustable resi shocks... you will "never ever" ride like a Cadillac in a jeep (that's due to the solid axles and having a stupid front swaybar). That's my opinion.

I have my 3.3 sp2's set at 2.5 most of the time, and i enjoy the ride soo much more than the bouncy, super loose, lumbering, shake you down the road ride the factory had. The best things about an adjustable shock is that you can adjust it to your style. The other day I had to haul azz up to the trail head to meet my wheeling buddies. I put it on 3 and ran... so good on the corners but you feel the bumps. On the trail... always set to 1 and I air down on my 37's to 12/13 psi, they are awesome on the trail and yes i can bomb faster than most... depending on how big the rocks are. When I go over railroad tracks, you feel them but your not jiggly bumping bouncing your head everywhere. The ride is controlled and there's a quick jarring and bamm done you forget that you went over them.

So here's my thoughts on types of shocks. Monotubes... basic at best, will start to break down when heated up. Remote Resi's... step up from mono's and you get better feel. Adjustable remote resins... dial in that feel even more. Adjustable remote resi's with up and down adjustments... even better to get the perfect ride to how you like it... coilovers with adjustable resi's... super hard to beat because you can control all up and down travel and you can adjust to your loads ( the one caveat... you will always be adjusting them and will require lots of fiddle work)... whew... I'm sorry did you ask a question???
sass JT - ...thank you man, I'm sorry my newbie question prompted a War and Peace.. but man, this is just the breakdown I was looking for. I cannot thank you enough. I was seeking truth - and you delivered. Now I think I'll put my tablet away for the night, and leave folks alone Lol.
-Peace-

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
sass JT - ...thank you man, I'm sorry my newbie question prompted a War and Peace.. but man, this is just the breakdown I was looking for. I cannot thank you enough. I was seeking truth - and you delivered. Now I think I'll put my tablet away for the night, and leave folks alone Lol.
-Peace-
:bandit: I’m sorry that I kinda went to a multi shock review, that brought out war and piece. The big thing is budget too... that’s why I went to the falcons... you get a lot of bang for the buck. Good luck on your decision sir! :movember:

bcunning82

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Bright White
Ty bcunning82 - afraid I'm a complete newbie, but does seem puzzling. Like why do you net only an inch or so in the rear - is that to be expected? (Guess I would expect 3 1/2 in gain at all 4 corners) Have you emailed or called to run these numbers by them? I've found them to be pretty great w/ customer service and being willing to field questions.
All new to me as well. I asked these questions of Metalcloak before purchase, my questions and responses are listed earlier on this post.
with gaining 3.5 at front bumper I was surprised to gain so little else where, as the lift took out more rake than I expected. Ultimately happy with with lift and the on and off-road performance. If I want to regain someof the rake, I may look to add taller rear springs from another manufacture or a small spacer for just the rear.
Sponsored