Sponsored

Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT 255/85/17 (35" Pizza Cutters).

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
Actual measured OD of the 255/85R17 Baja Boss AT is 34.6"

FYI, this size, 255/85R17, was not available in the KM2. The KM2 was available in 255/80R17, which was only 33.3". I ran them on my JK before changing to the Baja Boss AT.
Yep, that's what my KM2 was. It's been years since I had them. But I liked the narrow size.
Sponsored

OffAxis2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
25th. Anniversary Ducati Monster 1200 #188/500
Occupation
Company car hauling truck driver 26 years 2024.
I have them, absolutely love them and have decided they are the only tires I ever want!

I am in Michigan and this is their second winter. Originally bought (Fall 2022) for a winter specific set, but will be running them year round. My self-ordered 2022 Mojave is my first Jeep and I can say without a shadow of a doubt, said vehicle and tire setup are 100% the best winter/wet weather driving vehicle I have ever owned. Thoroughly impressed!

Last years “Snowmageddon” around Xmas was an absolute breeze to manage. A particular instance was Xmas Eve I-75 south of Flint was CRAZY BAD and there I was… from work towards home, in the far left lane, breaking trail, maintaining the speed limit, avoiding all of the white-knucklers, with 100% confidence and smiling the whole time while doing so.

They cut through road edge puddles with hardly any “grab” also. I run them at 32psi cold and have no issue with their road noise. I have not run mud-terrains since the late 90s, so I don’t have the best comparison and I am a truck driver too. My hearing kind of really sucks. Tinnitus.

Never have owned anything but new bought 4x4 pickup truck vehicles. More than just a few too. Well, 1991 GMC Jimmy K-5 (last year if the straight axle) and 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro thrown in there. No sedan, coupe, etc.

These pictures are all with an AEV lift/GCBs and 1.5” wheel spacers. I no longer run the wheel spacers, simply because I felt I wanted to keep them more covered during the winter months and honestly not bothered by their more flush with the front fenders than the rear fenders aesthetic.

EDIT: The very last picture is without wheel spacers and generally speaking, those are size “original” front/rear RokBlokz.

I’ve seen talk about being somewhat difficult to balance, but I added a video short below too. I am holding my phone and just saying. They are as smooth as one would expect. Zero complaints across the board.

One last thing, I also have a set of 6 Kenda Klever R/T 35.10.5x17 that I would part with. Nothing wrong with them. They’re fine tires. I just like the Mickeys far more.

IMG_1809.jpeg

IMG_1808.jpeg

IMG_1807.jpeg

IMG_1806.jpeg

IMG_1805.jpeg

IMG_1804.jpeg

IMG_1803.jpeg

IMG_1791.jpeg

IMG_1507.jpeg

Last edited:

jav_eee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
I have them, absolutely love them and have decided they are the only tires I ever want!

I am in Michigan and this is their second winter. Originally bought (Fall 2022) for a winter specific set, but will be running them year round. My self-ordered 2022 Mojave is my first Jeep and I can say without a shadow of a doubt, said vehicle and tire setup is 100% the best winter/wet weather driving vehicle I have ever owned. Thoroughly impressed!

Last years “Snowmageddon” around Xmas was an absolute breeze to manage. A particular instance was Xmas Eve I-75 south of Flint was CRAZY BAD and there I was… from work towards home, in the far left lane, breaking trail, maintaining the speed limit, avoiding all of the white-knucklers, with 100% confidence and smiling the whole time while doing so.

They cut through road edge puddles with hardly any “grab” also. I run them at 32psi cold and have no issue with their road noise. I have not run mud-terrains since the late 90s, so I don’t have the best comparison and I am a truck driver too. My hearing kind of really sucks. Tinnitus.

Never have owned anything but new bought 4x4 pickup truck vehicles. More than just a few too. Well, 1991 GMC Jimmy K-5 (last year if the straight axle) and 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro thrown in there. No sedan, coupe, etc.

These pictures are all with an AEV lift/GCBs and 1.5” wheel spacers. I no longer run the wheel spacers, simply because I felt I wanted to keep them more covered during the winter months and honestly not bothered by their more flush with the front fenders than the rear fenders aesthetic.

EDIT: The very last picture is without wheel spacers and generally speaking, those are size “original” front/rear RokBlokz.

I’ve seen talk about being somewhat difficult to balance, but I added a video short below too. I am holding my phone and just saying. They are as smooth as one would expect. Zero complaints across the board.

One last thing, I also have a set of 6 Kenda Klever R/T 35.10.5x17 that I would part with. Nothing wrong with them. They’re fine tires. I just like the Mickeys far more.

Jeep Gladiator Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT 255/85/17 (35" Pizza Cutters). IMG_1507

Jeep Gladiator Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT 255/85/17 (35" Pizza Cutters). IMG_1507

off topic but what mud flaps are you running?

Sponsored

redriderjf87

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
saltmustflow.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT, '81 Z-28, '18 TW200, '72 CT 175
Occupation
Electrical Controls Engineer
Do you have any lift on it in these pics? Looks great!
Thanks man, I just have the front leveled 1.5" (Teraflex) but otherwise stock suspension. Eventually I want to lift it another inch or so all round (maybe Rubicon springs?)

OP
OP

plumber802

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Mojave, 2023 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Union Pipefitter
Thanks for all the feedback so far and to anyone who posted pics. The MT's will be what I go with.

Sponsored

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Andy, been following this thread as it is the size tire I also want on my Mojave, after reading every thread including your original post about wanting to cut the noise of your Wildpeak MT tires. Through the thread MT and AT seem to be exchanged a lot, and an example "Offaxis2021" his tires are AT as that is that is what your posting asked about. I love the tires but also assume the MT tires will be louder then the AT tires. My needs for driving on the beaches a lot is an AT tire for less dig. My factory Wilpeak s AT at 36,000 miles still look great but they are getting loud......Jack
PS: be sure before you put your money down.

Last edited:
OP
OP

plumber802

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Mojave, 2023 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Union Pipefitter
Andy, been following this thread as it is the size tire I also want on my Mojave, after reading every thread including your original post about wanting to cut the noise of your Wildpeak MT tires. Through the thread MT and AT seem to be exchanged a lot, and an example "Offaxis2021" hi stire sar eAT as that is that is what your posting asked about. I love the tire sbut also assume the MT tires will be louder then the AT tires. My need sfor driving on the beaches a lot is an AT tire for less dig. My factory Wilpeak s AT at 36,000 miles still look great but they are getting loud......Jack
PS: be sure before you put your money down.
Hey Jack. Thanks for the feedback. The two main interests in the 255/85/17 size were better performance in the snow/ice and less noise both I think would be achieved with the Mickey"s. Less rolling resistance is also a benefit.

Andy29847

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler Rubicon, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I run the Toyo 35x11.5r17 on both my jeeps. I love them.

Jeep Gladiator Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT 255/85/17 (35" Pizza Cutters). tire size comparison

Actual tire sizes may vary.

Jeep Gladiator Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT 255/85/17 (35" Pizza Cutters). baja boss

Jeep Gladiator Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT 255/85/17 (35" Pizza Cutters). toyo

The 2 tires are near identical in height. The Toyo is a little wider. They weigh nearly the same. The cost (at Tire Rack) are +/- $10. The big drawback to the Baja Boss that I see is that the tire is 10-ply. This feature may give a rougher ride.

My Jeep is the white one.

Jeep Gladiator Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT 255/85/17 (35" Pizza Cutters). IMG_E3091.JPG

johnchabin

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR, 1993 FD3S
Occupation
Engineer
Jeep Gladiator Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT 255/85/17 (35" Pizza Cutters). IMG_E3091.JPG

First Mod on my new Gladiator.

Baja AT's 255 85 17 on AEV Salta XR's. Minimal poke. Tyres actually look much chunkier than anticipated.

Very happy.
Love to see more pics.

That’s the tire I want, but I don’t want the tread to go beyond the edge of the fender. Sidewall is fine (as with stock rubicon wheels/tires). It seems the narrower tire with the +25 AEV wheels would be about right… not to mention those are some nice looking wheels, too.

Nice Jeep. 🙂👍

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
The big drawback to the Baja Boss that I see is that the tire is 10-ply. This feature may give a rougher ride.
The 255/85R17 Baja Boss AT is not an actual 10-ply tire.

It has a 10 Ply Rating, but this only means that it has the equivalent strength to the 'old' 10-ply construction tires. The reality is that a modern Load Range E tire will usually only have 3 (or sometimes 4) ply construction. The 255/85R17 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss ATs are Load Range E with a 3-ply sidewall construction.

This misunderstanding about sidewall ply leads some people to the misconception that a Load Range E tire will be 'stiff' or result in a 'harsh' ride, especially when used on vehicles that don't require the load carrying capability (strength) of a LRE tire. The fact is that modern tire construction can produce a strong, yet very flexible sidewall. While not all LRE tire are created equal, I can say that my Load Range E 255/85R17 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss ATs are super comfortable on-road on my JK 2-door and they are super flexy off-road. They are so flexy that I now only air down to 20psi off-road, where I was going down to 15psi on my previous tires (255/80R17 KM2s).
Sponsored