Mojave Bump Stop Engage Early?

Ray Howrad

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S w/ Tow Package
Traded in my Maxtow for a Mojave and I feel like the Mojave blows through it’s travel easier than the Maxtow and initiates the hydraulic bump stops making a loud and harsh thunk noise. It makes me wonder if my bumpstops aren’t cycling or are too stiff. It feels great on small to medium hits at speed, but if I seek a good rut it thunks.

I love it otherwise. Just want to know if I need to get it checked out. I tried cycling them with my fingers but they don’t budge, haha.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

7D6BFCAC-23F0-443F-9F1C-EA8FF3A83E05.jpeg
Sponsored

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Sarge Mojave, ‘21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
The Mojave bump stops should hit before a non-Mojave’s bump stops would. They’re there to slow down that last bit of travel before the actual bottom out.

OP
OP
Ray Howrad

Ray Howrad

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Mojave bump stops should hit before a non-Mojave’s bump stops would. They’re there to slow down that last bit of travel before the actual bottom out.
Thanks. Makes sense. I read in another thread that the Mojave has about 3.5 inches of travel before the bump stops engage. Just didn't know they were so progressive.

dfwxjer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 dr JKRX, Navigator L, 63 Impala SS, Lexus CT200h
How fast are you going and what size ruts are you hitting? I haven't noticed this at all, but maybe you're pushing your Jeep harder than I have.

They're not progressive at all. They're fluid filled jounce bumpers so they'll handle bottoming out better than a normal poly/rubber bumpstop but they're still just bump stops.

OP
OP
Ray Howrad

Ray Howrad

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How fast are you going and what size ruts are you hitting? I haven't noticed this at all, but maybe you're pushing your Jeep harder than I have.

They're not progressive at all. They're fluid filled jounce bumpers so they'll handle bottoming out better than a normal poly/rubber bumpstop but they're still just bump stops.
I am

It happens when I go over 20 miles an hour and hit a 8” plus rut perpendicularly.
Can you depress the bumpstop by hand? I tried and they don’t budge, but I can barely get my fingers through the springs.

Sponsored

dfwxjer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn't think that would bottom out your suspension. I've hit washouts at 40-50 that hardly phased it.

There's no way you'd be able to compress them by hand. They're designed to handle your truck weight bouncing them at speed.

I wonder if the rebound sound is what you're hearing. If it's a sudden hit then the rebound travel can be somewhat abrupt.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Mojave springs are much softer than Max tow so you will hit the bump stops on smaller bumps with the Mojave than the max tow. The hydro bumps should make it a more pleasant experience but it's still gonna be jarring if you really smack one.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ

They should be progressive or Jeep cheaped out. Fox bumps are normally 3-zone where the first is basically firm shock valving to be used fairly regularly, the mid is like solid rubber bumps, and the final is super firm to stop the truck. They're normally designed to complement properly valved shocks and not just be an expensive bump stop like Teraflex and others.

If they are typical Fox bumps, what OP and others have noticed is completely normal and you'll use the first zone of the bumpstops fairly regularly. You just have to deal with the clacking when they engage.

OP
OP
Ray Howrad

Ray Howrad

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks all. I’m going to try and GoPro the stops in action. I’ll post a link if I do. I have a feeling I’m expecting too much from the stops.

dfwxjer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They should be progressive or Jeep cheaped out. Fox bumps are normally 3-zone where the first is basically firm shock valving to be used fairly regularly, the mid is like solid rubber bumps, and the final is super firm to stop the truck. They're normally designed to complement properly valved shocks and not just be an expensive bump stop like Teraflex and others.

If they are typical Fox bumps, what OP and others have noticed is completely normal and you'll use the first zone of the bumpstops fairly regularly. You just have to deal with the clacking when they engage.

I didn't know that, thanks for the info. Maybe I have been hearing mine after all lol.

Sponsored

SloW8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
My Mojave makes a pretty good thunk noise from what seems to be the front right corner. There was a post on the Mojave FB group and many others confirmed they had the same issue.

It did it when I was bone stock and does it now with the AEV lift. I think its just when it first engages it makes a clunk, but doesn't feel harsh if that makes sense.

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Sarge Mojave, ‘21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
Yep, some pad slap is to be expected with these if you're using them aggressively. I wouldn't worry about it unless the impacts feel unreasonably harsh.

Most of my time off the pavement anymore is spent about 40mph on rutted, pot-holed, washboard roads and the Mojave handles those with ease. I run out of bravery before it runs out of capability. I've bottomed the suspension a number of times but its always pretty smooth. Way less of an impact than I got from my old JKUR.

If the noise bothers you just turn the music up or get a loud exhaust! :rock:

piroman683

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gladiator
I don’t have the Mojave but sometimes when I hit a big rut I hear a think from the driver side as well. I’ve heard it when I got my Sport with a factory installed mopar lift, and after ive upgraded to the fox 2.5’s on all 4 corners + fox 2.0 bump stops on all 4 corners. I don’t hear it all the time, just once in a while. I have also jumped the shit out of my JT and didn’t hear that noise, it seems to only be when I hit a big rut and when I do hit it I know I’m not hitting it evenly with both front tires.
For reference one of the jumps I did with the mopar lift was at 70mph and I destroyed my rear driver side bump stop which is why I upgraded to the fox ones ( in addition to the rest of my upgrades)
Sponsored