Sponsored

Mojave front locker using Rubicon switch.

OP
OP
Temperance

Temperance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Software Engineer
Does it have to be the OEM Z Locker or will the one for aftermarket lockers work?
It appears that the units are both functionally the same. The only difference is that the OEM plugs into an OEM locker and the aftermarket has a generic plug which you'll need to wire yourself.
Sponsored

JohnQ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MOJAVE, 2018 GC Trailhawk, 1989 Jeep Comanche
It appears that the units are both functionally the same. The only difference is that the OEM plugs into an OEM locker and the aftermarket has a generic plug which you'll need to wire yourself.
Do you know if the eaton locker has an oem style plug? And will your harness plug into either one of the Z auto units? I think I need to do some more homework. Thank you for your help.

OP
OP
Temperance

Temperance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Do you know if the eaton locker has an oem style plug?
It appears to use a plug that is similar to the Z-automotive aftermarket one. You will likely have to splice it yourself if the plugs aren't exactly the same.

And will your harness plug into either one of the Z auto units?
Yes, both the Z-automotive OEM and aftermarket have the correct female plug for the factory wiring harness.

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
The Mojave front locker wiring harness uses the same gauge wires as the factory one so it'll support up to 8 amps. I believe that the Eaton locker uses less than 5 amps. You will however, need the Z Locker OEM from Z-Automotive. This works similarly to the locker module I made but it just senses voltage to the locker to provide the correct status.
So with the cable, dash switch, and an Eaton e locker, we are not replacing the Mojave axle, just adding to it, correct?

OP
OP
Temperance

Temperance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
So with the cable, dash switch, and an Eaton e locker, we are not replacing the Mojave axle, just adding to it, correct?
Yes, although I went with an ARB locker which replaced the front open differential. The locker was installed and shimmed when new gears (5:13) were added to save on labor. Adding a locker requires drilling a hole for the wires or air tube. I drilled out where the factory Rubicon axle wires are routed. Otherwise the rest of the Mojave front axle is retained. You'll also need a locker controller that mimics the axle lock sensor if going with the Eaton or an air locker. I sell the air one on my site and Z-automotive sells the one for electric lockers. Although the one from Z-automotive can be used for an air locker as well but you'll have to manually turn the air compressor on.

Sponsored

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
Yes, although I went with an ARB locker which replaced the front open differential. The locker was installed and shimmed when new gears (5:13) were added to save on labor. Adding a locker requires drilling a hole for the wires or air tube. I drilled out where the factory Rubicon axle wires are routed. Otherwise the rest of the Mojave front axle is retained. You'll also need a locker controller that mimics the axle lock sensor if going with the Eaton or an air locker. I sell the air one on my site and Z-automotive sells the one for electric lockers. Although the one from Z-automotive can be used for an air locker as well but you'll have to manually turn the air compressor on.

Awesome. I am going with the e locker at my mechanic's recommendation. I already have a z-automotive harness on the way due to my rear locker sensor going bad. And I have another on the way to have as a spare for my wife's JLR. I need to pot her sensors if I can get time to do it so I will not need the sensor.

How did you seal the hole around the wire?

And thanks for figuring all of this out.

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
OP
OP
Temperance

Temperance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
How did you seal the hole around the wire?
The ARB locker came with all of the fittings and plumbing. It uses an NPT threaded adapter. Hopefully the electric locker has all of the hardware for routing the wiring through the differential housing.

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
@Temperance What axle shaft did you use when you added the locker on the front? RCV says their Max Tow shaft will work with the Mojave, but would love to get confirmation from someone who has done it.

OP
OP
Temperance

Temperance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
@Temperance What axle shaft did you use when you added the locker on the front? RCV says their Max Tow shaft will work with the Mojave, but would love to get confirmation from someone who has done it.
The factory axle shafts were reused for my ARB front locker install. I believe the Mojave and max tow have the same axle shafts front and rear, but don't quote me on that.

Sponsored

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
The factory axle shafts were reused for my ARB front locker install. I believe the Mojave and max tow have the same axle shafts front and rear, but don't quote me on that.
I thought you had to replace the axles shafts to install lockers. I guess it is good that you do not, it might save me a few dollars. Thanks.

Bulldog4xfour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL sahara
When using a Rubicon Locker switch in a Mojave is it possible to use the sway bar disconnect button to active a solenoid, or would it become a nonfunctional button?

Bulldog4xfour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL sahara
I thought you had to replace the axles shafts to install lockers. I guess it is good that you do not, it might save me a few dollars. Thanks.
Depends on the spline count, if you use lockers with 32 splines you can reuse the OEM shafts, if you upgrade to 35 splines you need new axle shafts.

OP
OP
Temperance

Temperance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
When using a Rubicon Locker switch in a Mojave is it possible to use the sway bar disconnect button to active a solenoid, or would it become a nonfunctional button?
The Rubicon sway bar button can be enabled using the same device that is used to enable both lockers. The wiring harness for the sway bar is missing on the Mojave. The sway bar module is contained in the sway bar. It reports the status and contains all of the logic for enabling and disabling it. Theoretically someone can engineer a custom module that would do something different. However, the dash will still report the button status as a sway bar.

Bulldog4xfour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL sahara
The Rubicon sway bar button can be enabled using the same device that is used to enable both lockers. The wiring harness for the sway bar is missing on the Mojave. The sway bar module is contained in the sway bar. It reports the status and contains all of the logic for enabling and disabling it. Theoretically someone can engineer a custom module that would do something different. However, the dash will still report the button status as a sway bar.
I actually bought a rubicon sway bar to put in my Mojave that I want to actuate with air, and I was hoping that I could use the sway bar button to active the solenoid. Sound like it wouldn’t be as simple as hooking two wire up to the button though.
Sponsored