First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
I had this decision 10 days ago and I went with the Mojave just for 2 simple reasons

1. Too many Rubicons around my area

2. I don't rock crawl and have no urge to I like forrest trails and off the beaten path roads

Oh and the orange that's a winner for me too :)

I agree !!!

1) I got a better deal as all the Rubicons sold out and my Mojave was still on the lot ... I offered a low ball price and got a great deal ...

Honestly there are 2 kinds of buyers. The kind that research everything and make an informed decision based on their actual need/want and those that gotta have the most bad ass thing which has always been the Rubicon .. Deservedly so ...

I thought just like you ... I will never rock crawl .. Actually where I live I could not find a rock to crawl if my life depended on it ... I will off road though but, mostly on Michigan sand or rutted trails and no where near as serious as the real ballsy 4x4 guys do ... Just not something I want to do ...

Mojave will do a lot of what Rubicon will do (at least at my skill level) and around town where it will be (more than I care to admit) it will ride better etc etc etc ...

I have had it off road (by my definition) and it was great ... Did fine and never worried me. It will do way more than I will ever be able to ... At my skill level or where I live ...

2) I dont want to be bothered with 5k-10k in other ad-ons for lift etc ... The Mojave is a bit lifted from the factory and it looks real nice as is .. It will also comfortably take 35 inch tires ...

3) It came with the towing package.

4) It is unique in my area ... So, I kind of like that too ...
Sponsored

MaybeAMojave?

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave, 6spd. 2018 Tacoma TRD Pro 6spd (totaled by a drunk driver April 2020)
Occupation
Former Aerospace Engineer, Current home renovator
My advice... Drive a Rubicon and a Mojave around town. On potholed roads. On the highway. Around some curvy roads.

The Mojave is waaaay better at all of these than the Rubicon. The Rubicon is woefully underdamped from the factory. Bobs around out back. Brake dives coming to a stop. Leaning into the corners. The Mojave rivals my 2018 Tacoma in road manners/handling.

How many of your miles are doing serious rock crawling where you'd need the lower low range and front locker (leaving sway bar off, because manual disconnects can be added for cheap)?

How many of your miles are driving on bumpy roads, around town, and on the highway?

Now, all that comes with a big caveat: Keep it at stock ride height and don't carry heavy loads.

The position sensitive dampers / Mojave specific springs are designed to work at the stock ride height, while not carrying massive loads, and with unsprung (wheel/tire) weight somewhat close to stock. If you must have heavy 37s, or a lift - Mojave probably isn't worth it. If you must carry 1000+ lbs in the bed or tow a 7000lb trailer. Again, probably shouldn't get a Mojave.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
My advice... Drive a Rubicon and a Mojave around town. On potholed roads. On the highway. Around some curvy roads.

The Mojave is waaaay better at all of these than the Rubicon. The Rubicon is woefully underdamped from the factory. Bobs around out back. Brake dives coming to a stop. Leaning into the corners. The Mojave rivals my 2018 Tacoma in road manners/handling.
So you know this how? From doing a test drive or two? From the seat of your Tacoma?

MaybeAMojave?

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave, 6spd. 2018 Tacoma TRD Pro 6spd (totaled by a drunk driver April 2020)
Occupation
Two test drives in Rubicons doing exactly those things. ~4000 miles now in my Mojave. ~20,000 miles in the Tacoma. Mixed use, probably 20% forest service roads, 2% trails, remainder city/highway.

Don't get me wrong. I've had a bunch of old Jeeps and 4x4 trucks that drove far worse and still loved them (International Scout with leaf springs all around, manual drum brakes, manual steering and non-syncro 1st at the extreme end of that). I just think the Rubicon is a little too focused on a use most people probably won't spend much time doing.

But hey. I'm just like a guy on the internet. I also chose to get a 6spd -clearly not the optimal choice for pavement or trails. Do what makes you happy!

So you know this how? From doing a test drive or two? From the seat of your Tacoma?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Two test drives in Rubicons doing exactly those things. ~4000 miles now in my Mojave. ~20,000 miles in the Tacoma. Mixed use, probably 20% forest service roads, 2% trails, remainder city/highway.

Don't get me wrong. I've had a bunch of old Jeeps and 4x4 trucks that drove far worse and still loved them (International Scout with leaf springs all around, manual drum brakes, manual steering and non-syncro 1st at the extreme end of that). I just think the Rubicon is a little too focused on a use most people probably won't spend much time doing.

But hey. I'm just like a guy on the internet. I also chose to get a 6spd -clearly not the optimal choice for pavement or trails. Do what makes you happy!

Well, at least you're honest; I think. You've "driven a bunch of old Jeeps," own/owned a Taco, you test drove 2 Rubicons and you bought a Mojave. Not sure why a Rubicon would "dive coming to stop" and your statement insinuates your Mojave doesn't when I understand they have the SAME BRAKES.

Glad you're happy but no one should take your comments as gospel or unbiased: "The Mojave is waaaay better at all of these than the Rubicon. The Rubicon is woefully underdamped from the factory. Bobs around out back. Brake dives coming to a stop. Leaning into the corners. The Mojave rivals my 2018 Tacoma in road manners/handling."

Sponsored

MaybeAMojave?

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well, at least you're honest; I think. You've "driven a bunch of old Jeeps," own/owned a Taco, you test drove 2 Rubicons and you bought a Mojave. Not sure why a Rubicon would "dive coming to stop" and your statement insinuates your Mojave doesn't when I understand they have the SAME BRAKES.

Glad you're happy but no one should take your comments as gospel or unbiased: "The Mojave is waaaay better at all of these than the Rubicon. The Rubicon is woefully underdamped from the factory. Bobs around out back. Brake dives coming to a stop. Leaning into the corners. The Mojave rivals my 2018 Tacoma in road manners/handling."
Brake dive is more about suspension geometry, spring and damping rates than the brakes... When I say brake dive I refer to the tendency for the nose of a vehicle to drop under heavy braking. Not something to do with the function of the brakes themselves. All cars do it. Some more than others.

And yeah. I'd never suggest anyone take what I say as gospel or presume that I am unbiased. That I own a Mojave is in my signature. Do your own research. Read a book about vehicle dynamics. Come to your own conclusions.

Or you know, take both for a test drive as I initially suggested ;)

Rubi_Rhod

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR 6MT, '55 Manx Clone Bug
Build Thread
Link
I did end up with a rubicon as they were a little more available when I was looking.

I’m into overlanding and mild trails from time to time. The Mojave seemed like the better “out of the box” package for my needs. But things like the front locker, and sway bar disconnect were things that I wanted to try out in a rig as they weren’t features I had before.

And while the 2.5” resivior foxes are a nice upgrade over the rubicons 2” ones, my last rig was solid with my aftermarket fox 2.0 so didn’t feel too much like a miss.

Ultimately, I wanted rubicon with the 2.72 transfer case. As the lockers and swaybar was a chance for me to learn some things. But did have to forgo just running the backcountry in 4Lo as I enjoyed in my last truck. But with the manual transmission I figured i can just keep it to 1-3 and be just fine in 4hi and maximize my engine breaking down these hilly forest trails.

They both are neat rigs. I don’t think I would necessarily be happier one way or another to be honest. As like everything, once you know features and function you like are out there, you kinda want it all, and thats just not the real world!

OP
OP
wanderer

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon GATOR
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
I like to explore sometimes I go places where it gets really rocky and rutted I went rubicon because it is the right tool for the job. Often alone I carry the necessary recover equipment and an inreach I don’t want to drive fast. Things break then. And when push comes to shove. 2 lockers and 410s are hard to beat. I too was also an old desert racer. D37. Not too good though

rocky4by

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Ram cummins
I am a current desert racer in the Score and Best in the desert series, and I am getting ready to order our Gladiator. I have to go with the Rubicon as we want the diesel, but either way the suspension will be changed, neither one of them will ever be as good as what can be added after market, coil/ overs:like:

darksidedesign

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave in Gator
Occupation
Graphic Designer / Illustrator
Dude, why do you feel the need to torch everyone? I've seen several of your comments in this and other threads and they're all the same? You belittle and tear people down for expressing their opinion. Does it really bother you that much that people have opinions that differ from yours? Last time I checked, we're all members of the same family.

In response to the OP. I actually agree completely with MaybeAMojave? I was ready to buy a Rubicon right up to the moment I first heard about the Mojave. I have test driven a Rubicon JT at least a dozen times over the past year+. I opted to wait until the Mojave started showing up at dealerships before making a final decision.

I had the opportunity to take a Rubicon and a Mojave on extended test drives, one right after the other. I was amazed at the difference between the two. I'm not planning to do any major rock crawling, despite living in Utah. If that was my interest, I'd have purchased a JLU. I needed and wanted a truck.

I'll be the first to admit that most of what I know about off-roading, I learned here on the forum. I am by no means an expert. I simply know that my Mojave suits my needs perfectly and is hands down the most comfortable/smooth ride I've ever experienced in a truck. I have never had more fun driving any vehicle I've ever owned. I think that's what it all boils down to. The technical specs are important to some. But for me, that smile every time I get behind the wheel is all that truly matters.

Sponsored

Adawg1203

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE

I disagree with your assessment of the Rubicon. You are in my opinion exaggerating some points.

The Mojave is a nice machine but stop trying to make it sound as if it's a sports car.

As for road manners the JTR is rather well behaved for the type of vehicle It is. Stiff, but behaved.

Adawg1203

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
Brake dive is more about suspension geometry, spring and damping rates than the brakes... When I say brake dive I refer to the tendency for the nose of a vehicle to drop under heavy braking. Not something to do with the function of the brakes themselves. All cars do it. Some more than others.

And yeah. I'd never suggest anyone take what I say as gospel or presume that I am unbiased. That I own a Mojave is in my signature. Do your own research. Read a book about vehicle dynamics. Come to your own conclusions.

Or you know, take both for a test drive as I initially suggested ;)
You are definitely being biased about the brake diving. Lets try not to make it seem like "it's a thing" on the gladiator, unless you have a Mojave.

GEETCH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
I read that the JL tubes were .282" (7.1mm), and JT axle tubes were .4" (10.1mm). Let me try to find a source.

EDIT: Here are some bits of publicized info regarding JT/JL axle tubes:

Dynatrac says: "JL axle tubes are 2.75" diam x .282" thickness (so JL has 7.1mm thick tube walls, as compared to the JK's 2.5" x .25" or 6.3mm thick tube walls)
--- they also state that they THINK the JLR tubes are the same, but had not yet cut one open to verify.

FourWheeler says: " To better cope with the rigors of pounding through unforgiving terrain at speed, the Mojave front axle required an increase in axle tube wall thickness to 10mm, which is thicker than the Rubicon technically required. So Rubicon can thank Mojave for its 10mm axle tube wall thickness"
--- The above makes it sound like both the Mojave and Rubicon have 10mm axle tube walls. However, the way its worded is imprecise.

FCANorthAmerica says: "The standard heavy-duty Dana 44 front and rear solid axles on the Gladiator also have extra-thick tubes and forgings for additional strength, rigidity and durability."
--- The above makes it sound like ALL Gladiators have thicker axle tube walls than JL Wranglers?

Quadratec says: (regarding JT Axles) "Jeep contracted with Dana utilize the company’s third generation Dana 44 heavy duty front and rear axles throughout all trim levels. With Wrangler, you get these just in the Rubicon edition. "
---This makes it sound like ALL JT's have the thicker axle tube walls, but only the JL Rubicon has the thicker tube walls. (?)

I'm still looking for something more definitive. However, it does sound like some of the confusion revolves around the differences between JL Wrangler and JT Gladiator axle specs.
When I first started researching the Gladiator last year I emailed Jeep Customer service about this exact question here is their response:

I appreciate the time and effort taken to contact the Jeep Information Center. Congratulations on your recent order of your new 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon! You've made an excellent choice in your order selection, and I wish to thank you for your service.

The specifications for the all-new 2020 Jeep Gladiator axle thickness are as follows:
Front - 10mm thick tubes
Rear - 6.25mm thick tubes

I do hope this information further assists with your inquiry. If you have any further questions concerning your order or you wish to review the order status, I would encourage you to reach out further to your MAS Representative or by calling: 516-921-2800.

Thank you for your interest and loyalty. We’re proud to have you as a member of the Jeep Family!

Sincerely,

Jeff
Jeep Information Center
O|||||||O

Footer

Privacy: http://www.jeep.com/universal/privacy.html

“Our goal is to provide you with the most capable vehicle you’ve ever driven – one that exceeds your expectations of quality, comfort, capability and ease of operation.”

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
For me:
Which one has better towing/hauling capacity?
Which one has lower t-case + lockers?
Which one is available w/ the diesel?
Which one doesn’t have orange accents?
Kinda no-brainer...
Mojave got a cool hood & wheels tho

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.