Sponsored

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Hyundai Veracruz & 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon LE
Thanks but I was sure to unmarry it before taking to the dealer. Unfortunately I didn’t test it before marrying it again (and didn't want to redo the whole process just before the long road trip we just completed.).

Has anyone gotten this mopar controller installed and running successfully with a JL tazer? Or is it possible the tazer is blocking the software flash?
Sponsored

Joeyroo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
UPDATE - and good news
Go to the section in bold that applies to you and YOUR Gladiator:

If you have a 2021 Gladiator:
You will NOT have the brake lamp signal line feedback issue.
You can install pretty much any controller you want.
NO SPECIAL WIRING, NO SPECIAL HARNESS, NO NEED TO ORDER Tekonsha harness with diode.
Simply install your trailer brake controller and ENJOY, MOPAR, Redarc or otherwise.
Don't waste money or time on any special harness or flipping wires.

If you have a 2020 Gladiator BUILT in 2020:
You will NOT have the brake lamp signal line feedback issue.
You can install pretty much any controller you want, NO SPECIAL WIRING, NO SPECIAL HARNESS, NO NEED TO ORDER Tekonsha harness with diode.
Simply install your trailer brake controller and ENJOY, MOPAR, Redarc or otherwise.
Don't waste money or time on any special harness or flipping wires.

If you have a 2020 Gladiator BUILT IN 2019:
You WILL have the brake lamp signal line feedback issue. BUT - read on!
You can install pretty much any controller you want (MOPAR, Redarc, Curt, Tekonsha, etc.)
NO SPECIAL WIRING, NO SPECIAL HARNESS, NO NEED TO ORDER Tekonsha harness with diode.
Install your TBC (Trailer Brake Controller)
When finished - take your Gladiator to your dealer and point out the TSB information posted by JeepCares and Benny of AllMOPARParts.
If you have the DEALER flash your ABS with the latest software - it FIXES this issue.
You can buy and install any controller you want.
DO NOT WASTE MONEY on a special harness, don't mess with any diodes, don't buy a Ram harness from Redarc and switch wires around. THERE IS NO NEED NOW.
Install the MOPAR trailer brake controller- IGNORE the bits about any harness, no need to flip it on the mounting plate.
When done with the install, drive your JT to the dealer and point them to the information (below) about the FIX from Jeep.
IT IS FREE. It's a WARRANTY REPAIR.
THIS FIX TOOK CARE OF MINE. No argument, no hassle, they just did it and tested it and said yeah, that took care of it - and it did.

Here is the link to the post by @JeepCares -
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...r-my-impressions-and-review.36527/post-616520

Here is the PDF of the TSB (see attached brake-controller-08-102-20.pdf)

And here is the info telling your dealer to ignore the silly instructions about any sales code or wiring harness -

044DD5A4-59F8-4180-B3FB-907D1B3E90FF.jpeg
Minor point of clarity — but before Jan 8 2020 - I have this issue and a build date of Jan 3rd. I have both the aftermarket cable with diode and mopar kit cable — will swap them before taking to the dealer wednesday to have it flashed, but leaning toward putting the aftermarket cable in as it seems like the proper fix as opposed to some software being told to ignore it as opposed to whatever jeep started doing on Jan 9th which is not likely a software fix. Thoughts?

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I supplied BOTH documents so people would have the details. One says "before January" while the other specifies a date. I'd hope people would be clever enough to read both and figure out although I find many aren't even aware the day and HOUR of build are clearly specified on the door frame................

For me the proper fix IS the TSB. The diode/harness is a work-around. Any subsequent ABS upgrades/updates will include this fix anyway so if a person gets an ABS flash next November due to some OTHER issue, then next December installs a brake controller, they won't have any issues.
I'd bet the change in January 2020 was indeed software.
I also suspect that the documents we see are grossly oversimplified and it's not laid out as "ignore" as much as what to not do in such cases.

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Hyundai Veracruz & 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon LE
Update—after completely unmarrying the tazer I still got the error. Sent it back to dealer. Reminded them again to please review and act on the BCM TSB that I showed them last time (and left the print out on the seat). They admitted they didn’t do it last time but finally got it done.

So I can report it appears to be working correctly with the mopar controller and the TSB reverence’s earlier. Finally! Got the tazer reinstalled and married up again and also no issues so far but don’t anticipate any further issues.

Now all I need is my trailer to arrive! Opus OP4 due in the next month.

Krullro

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ 2019 JLUS
A few questions here. My Sport S Max Tow is built 08/19. Does anyone know the flat rate for the dealer install? Also, can the 12V power outlet be moved? Or another one installed elsewhere?

Sponsored

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
A few questions here. My Sport S Max Tow is built 08/19. Does anyone know the flat rate for the dealer install? Also, can the 12V power outlet be moved? Or another one installed elsewhere?
Your 2019 built truck will need the TSB performed.
I've seen dealers charge from 1 to 2 hours (hourly rate varies with location)

The outlet can be moved although there's not a lot of cable. I pulled the wire from my 12 volt outlet as far as I could over to the right and it all but made it to the glove box, pulled tight.
(I have since bought a cable and made an extension and will put mine back in somewhere when I determine a good location for it where there's room in back for the bulk of the "outlet".

Krullro

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ 2019 JLUS
Your 2019 built truck will need the TSB performed.
I've seen dealers charge from 1 to 2 hours (hourly rate varies with location)

The outlet can be moved although there's not a lot of cable. I pulled the wire from my 12 volt outlet as far as I could over to the right and it all but made it to the glove box, pulled tight.
(I have since bought a cable and made an extension and will put mine back in somewhere when I determine a good location for it where there's room in back for the bulk of the "outlet".

Krullro

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ 2019 JLUS
Thanks. I've got a call into the dealer. They have not installed a brake controller as yet so I don't want to pay any more than flat rate. And I don't want to lose the power outlet.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase

marcwithac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Max Tow

Sponsored

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Pics of install?
He's correct in that there are other controllers, just as good, that can be located elsewhere.
The Redarc has a control knob that can be located almost anywhere and uses an Ethernet Cat5 cable to connect the knob to the controller so you could even get a longer one and put the knob almost anywhere within reach. Several forum members have installed it.
Curt or Redarc the control can be put where-ever you want within reach and not touch your 12v outlet.
The advantage - about the only ones I see - with the MOPAR is the control knob/dial looks like part of the rest of the dash, and it's covered with the rest of the truck warranty once installed (I believe 2 years otherwise as a MOPAR part)
But Curt, Redarc, both have the same functionality.
And you'll still want to get the TSB done as even 3rd party brake controllers can cause the cluster to freak out and give ABS errors. THAT IS FREE - that TSB is a warranty item as long as your truck is still covered.
So no matter which way you go - get the TSB done.
Your choices are Curt, Redarc, MOPAR - or likely others as well.
It's up to you.
Honestly, they all work fine, and pretty much the same.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Pics of install?
I don't have any pictures of mine readily available. There are several older threads showing install pictures. The only exposed piece is the round knob. It can be attached with double-sided tape, or screwed to the dash and drill a hole through the center to hide the cable. There is a small controller box that fits under the dash above the pedals.

RubiCrusHehr

First Name
Miville
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Black JTRD
Occupation
Retired
For a friend !! Hihihi !! Somebody know for sure if the Mopar brake controller works with the manual transmission ?? Somebody has it working ?? We just can't get the info from dealership.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
For a friend !! Hihihi !! Somebody know for sure if the Mopar brake controller works with the manual transmission ?? Somebody has it working ?? We just can't get the info from dealership.
Why would it not? It has no connection to the truck, transmission, cluster, etc. - it's exactly like any other 3rd party controller. It senses changes in speed and direction (deceleration, etc.) and applies trailer brakes. It's not connected to the truck in any way other than getting power from the truck, and sending power over the wire back to the trailer brakes, and the trucks brake lamp line.

Curious - What's the reason you think it might not work - or why can't a dealer answer? It's a simple brake controller, nothing else.

RubiCrusHehr

First Name
Miville
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Black JTRD
Occupation
Retired
Why would it not? It has no connection to the truck, transmission, cluster, etc. - it's exactly like any other 3rd party controller. It senses changes in speed and direction (deceleration, etc.) and applies trailer brakes. It's not connected to the truck in any way other than getting power from the truck, and sending power over the wire back to the trailer brakes, and the trucks brake lamp line.

Curious - What's the reason you think it might not work - or why can't a dealer answer? It's a simple brake controller, nothing else.
That's what I think but my friend got me wondering !!
Sponsored