First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Manager
So I just got my JT Willys ecodiesel and have been following the threads on the Mopar brake controller pretty closely. I ordered mine before my truck arrived and on sighing day the controller was also ready for pickup. The dealer said that the “required wire harness was back ordered and that they could not install the controller that day. I showed them the star report and told them it was not needed but they pretty much ignored me and my advice, after all what do I know. In fairness I used to be a mechanic and before that a geek squad agent before my Airforce career so honestly, I get that logic. However I told them to give me the part and I’d install it myself. Couldn’t help but send pictures to my sales guy and service department for funssies. It installed pretty much perfectly, no need to swap the controller around on the bracket, and the knob now comes put together properly from the factory so it seems all the kinks have been worked out. I tested it on my travel trailer because it’s the biggest trailer I own and it worked exactly as it should. It even works when the button is pressed manually. I’m sorry people have had issues with this controller but on the 2021 model year it appears to work exactly as intended. I wish the knob was rubberized like the other ones on the dash, but it honestly looks so factory when I showed my wife she couldn’t tell what I’d been doing for the last two hours with the dash pulled apart, it blends right into the truck perfectly. If anyone has questions about install on a 2021 JT or functionality please feel free to message me, I’d be happy to walk you through it.
Got the controller and a 2021 JTRD and sounds like it can be installed and work just fine? Right?
Sponsored

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Got the controller and a 2021 JTRD and sounds like it can be installed and work just fine? Right?
Yes - 2021 models should be fine - as well as any JT 2020 model year MANUFACTURED in 2020.
It is only the 2020 models made in 2019 that have the issue (thus, it's the truck, not the controller)

Shack

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
USAF
Correct, and you won’t have to mod anything to do the install, just do your stretches before you contort yourself under that driver side dash. You’ll have to pull out at least one Christmas tree style zip tie clip from the main wire harness, it kind of shows it in the instructions when reattached to the bracket bolt.

Stevevdbh

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Manager
Yes - 2021 models should be fine - as well as any JT 2020 model year MANUFACTURED in 2020.
It is only the 2020 models made in 2019 that have the issue (thus, it's the truck, not the controller)
Thank you.

Stevevdbh

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Manager
Correct, and you won’t have to mod anything to do the install, just do your stretches before you contort yourself under that driver side dash. You’ll have to pull out at least one Christmas tree style zip tie clip from the main wire harness, it kind of shows it in the instructions when reattached to the bracket bolt.
How long do you think the install takes? I will have the dealer do mine and was thinking 2 hours?

Sponsored

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
How long do you think the install takes? I will have the dealer do mine and was thinking 2 hours?
2 hours tops for one that's done it before.
Some owners have installed 'em in 2 hours - not having done them before.

Shack

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
USAF
I agree, two hours tops, but from my experience with dealers, actual time and charged time may very lol. It wouldn’t surprise me to see the install and the part itself cost about the same. 600 total.

Shack

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
USAF
I live in the Nashville area if anyone nearby needs help installing this I’d be happy to show them the way.

xerootg

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep Cherokee TDI, 2015 VW Golf Wagon TDI
Occupation
Software Engineer
I can confirm that the controller works perfectly in my 2021 JTRD, I've been towing with it all day. Install time at my dealership was around an hour and a half.

Sponsored

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
As per Benny @AllMoparParts.com, there is a TSB issued to update the software on the ABS module on pre-2020 builds that will make the controller & interface cable work.
Woohoo, finally a solution. I’m betting @ShadowsPapa will be first in line 😁

I might put the OEM cable back in mine and have them do the TSB when I take it in for the rear window (if it ever arrrives 🙄)

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Woohoo, finally a solution. I’m betting @ShadowsPapa will be first in line 😁

I might put the OEM cable back in mine and have them do the TSB when I take it in for the rear window (if it ever arrrives 🙄)
THANK YOU - HUGE THANK YOU!! For the heads-up on this. I will be contacting my dealer ASAP.

I knew it - I just knew it - the difference is the ABS module. It almost had to be as that's what was kicking the codes! And - what else would they have changed to handle this CORRECTLY and not as a hack?
This is why I waited and didn't jump on a patch as in cable or diode. They owed it to us - plus, I want the truck to match current configurations.

I really owe Jeff for all of the work he's done on this issue, from a year ago and the other 3rd party controllers, to this. It takes dedication to follow through like that.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
As per Benny @AllMoparParts.com, there is a TSB issued to update the software on the ABS module on pre-2020 builds that will make the controller & interface cable work.
Where's his post on this? Did he give a link to the TSB? I want to send the info to my dealer who was SOOO nice to work with me on the issue - I told them if I heard anything at all I'd pass it along so they'd not struggle should anyone else come in.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa