JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Hi All,

Mopar Engineering has identified an issue relating to the Mopar Gladiator Trailer Brake Controller and an interaction with the vehicle ABS braking system.
This issue affects Gladiator vehicles which were built prior to Jan 1, 2020.
On the affected vehicles built prior to 2020, pressing the manual brake button in the center of the Trailer Brake Controller Knob can cause a Diagnostic Trouble Code to be set by the Anti Lock Braking system.
This issue does not cause any safety issues or any functional changes in the performance of the ABS or ESC systems, but it will cause the Electronic Stability Control Indicator to illuminate in the Instrument Cluster along with a warning chime. This condition will be reset by cycling the vehicle ignition.
This condition can be easily corrected by updating the software in the ABS controller on your vehicle. Your Jeep dealer can perform this update.
There is a Technical Service Bulletin which has been issued to all of our Jeep dealers (TSB #C08 FSAR TSB-394) which communicates the specifics of this update to our technicians.
Mopar thanks each of you for buying our Jeep vehicles and our Mopar Accessories. We apologize for any inconvenience this condition may have caused you.

Thank you,
Jeep Cares Team
Sponsored

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Hi All,

Mopar Engineering has identified an issue relating to the Mopar Gladiator Trailer Brake Controller and an interaction with the vehicle ABS braking system.
This issue affects Gladiator vehicles which were built prior to Jan 1, 2020.
On the affected vehicles built prior to 2020, pressing the manual brake button in the center of the Trailer Brake Controller Knob can cause a Diagnostic Trouble Code to be set by the Anti Lock Braking system.
This issue does not cause any safety issues or any functional changes in the performance of the ABS or ESC systems, but it will cause the Electronic Stability Control Indicator to illuminate in the Instrument Cluster along with a warning chime. This condition will be reset by cycling the vehicle ignition.
This condition can be easily corrected by updating the software in the ABS controller on your vehicle. Your Jeep dealer can perform this update.
There is a Technical Service Bulletin which has been issued to all of our Jeep dealers (TSB #C08 FSAR TSB-394) which communicates the specifics of this update to our technicians.
Mopar thanks each of you for buying our Jeep vehicles and our Mopar Accessories. We apologize for any inconvenience this condition may have caused you.

Thank you,
Jeep Cares Team
A big thanks for that info. It's pretty much as I expected, thus my waiting instead of trying to patch with some different harness or diode. This should bring my ABS up the same level as 2020 build JTs. I suspect it's telling the ABS to expect a signal presence on the brake lamp line instead of freaking out if one occurs without pressing the brake pedal.
It's the exact resolution I was expecting and waiting for - now this can be put to rest and I'll be exactly where I wanted to be with this.

I normally don't like trips to the dealer - this time, I almost can't wait to visit them.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
When I do an internet search for the TSB there are no results.

My dealer is clueless about the TBS.

Now what?
Check the NHTSA site - on the other hand, Benny posted it on one of his more recent messages.
Reading the TSB does NOT give me a warm fuzzy - ya know what it says - not a quote, I'm paraphrasing here, but this is the gist "we'll tell it not to light up the dash so you won't be annoyed". It's like the old thing - my alternator light glows when I'm driving home at night
Answer:
Put a piece of black tape over it
Yeah, they are basically saying that the fix is to prevent the light. Funny thing - There is NO LIGHT that comes on with this so I am not really sure this is a fix so much as taking out a light bulb or preventing it from coming on!
Seriously, JeepCars said "the error doesn't disable...." Yeah, it did on mine - ABS, forward collision detection and other stuff. I proved that with my truck., That stuff was dead with the error until I rebooted the truck (turned engine off, restarted - damn, I'm too used to mickysoft computers)

So having read what Benny's link is to - it's basically saying "we've recoded the ABS so it won't turn the light on anymore".
I'll let them flash it, but then right out of the gate I will test forward collision, BSM and ABS because on mine, those things went crazy and could not be enabled or disabled, they were frozen. It wasn't a "light coming on".
I'll take it onto the ice in the nearby parking lot and lock the wheels up and see what happens.
Maybe like their brake controller instructions, the TSB is full of dung and wrong, and the fix actually does something other than tell it to not trigger a light......we'll see.
But reading the message from JeepCares and the TSB itself, well, another thing - I got THREE codes, the TSB never even mentions those!
It says "if codes other than the one above exist, fix the OTHER problems" - no, those codes are a result of the brake controller issue. So in that case, the TSB is off the mark.

Stevevdbh

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Manager
Check the NHTSA site - on the other hand, Benny posted it on one of his more recent messages.
Reading the TSB does NOT give me a warm fuzzy - ya know what it says - not a quote, I'm paraphrasing here, but this is the gist "we'll tell it not to light up the dash so you won't be annoyed". It's like the old thing - my alternator light glows when I'm driving home at night
Answer:
Put a piece of black tape over it
Yeah, they are basically saying that the fix is to prevent the light. Funny thing - There is NO LIGHT that comes on with this so I am not really sure this is a fix so much as taking out a light bulb or preventing it from coming on!
Seriously, JeepCars said "the error doesn't disable...." Yeah, it did on mine - ABS, forward collision detection and other stuff. I proved that with my truck., That stuff was dead with the error until I rebooted the truck (turned engine off, restarted - damn, I'm too used to mickysoft computers)

So having read what Benny's link is to - it's basically saying "we've recoded the ABS so it won't turn the light on anymore".
I'll let them flash it, but then right out of the gate I will test forward collision, BSM and ABS because on mine, those things went crazy and could not be enabled or disabled, they were frozen. It wasn't a "light coming on".
I'll take it onto the ice in the nearby parking lot and lock the wheels up and see what happens.
Maybe like their brake controller instructions, the TSB is full of dung and wrong, and the fix actually does something other than tell it to not trigger a light......we'll see.
But reading the message from JeepCares and the TSB itself, well, another thing - I got THREE codes, the TSB never even mentions those!
It says "if codes other than the one above exist, fix the OTHER problems" - no, those codes are a result of the brake controller issue. So in that case, the TSB is off the mark.
Great news. Going to get my installed on Monday. Does anyone have a great place to re mount the 12 volt Cig Ligher in the Jeep. Not sure i will need it but thought i might just move it? Any ideas or thoughts? Pics if anyone has done it?

Sponsored

Stevevdbh

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Manager
Great news. Going to get my installed on Monday. Does anyone have a great place to re mount the 12 volt Cig Ligher in the Jeep. Not sure i will need it but thought i might just move it? Any ideas or thoughts? Pics if anyone has done it?
Well tried today to get it installed and the dealer said no since they need the PDH? I believe this was covered but , the PDH is not needed for the JT right? That is for the Wrangler? I ordered the brake controller part number that is referenced in this thread, so I don't need anything else do I? How do I explain to the dealer? Any input is appreciated!

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well tried today to get it installed and the dealer said no since they need the PDH? I believe this was covered but , the PDH is not needed for the JT right? That is for the Wrangler? I ordered the brake controller part number that is referenced in this thread, so I don't need anything else do I? How do I explain to the dealer? Any input is appreciated!
That brake controller package is ALL that you need if your JT was made in 2020.
If it was made in 2019 then you need the controller (just what's in the box) and the TSB SOFTWARE fix.
NO other hardware is needed, period.

You could show them this and tell them to look it up for themselves if they don't believe you - or tell them to call the STAR team.

Make sure they READ THIS, pay attention to who it is from, and pay close attention to the first paragraph where MOPAR says they messed up.

Jeep Gladiator Mopar factory trailer brake controller - my impressions and review 044DD5A4-59F8-4180-B3FB-907D1B3E90FF

Stevevdbh

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Manager
That brake controller package is ALL that you need if your JT was made in 2020.
If it was made in 2019 then you need the controller (just what's in the box) and the TSB SOFTWARE fix.
NO other hardware is needed, period.

You could show them this and tell them to look it up for themselves if they don't believe you - or tell them to call the STAR team.

Make sure they READ THIS, pay attention to who it is from, and pay close attention to the first paragraph where MOPAR says they messed up.

Jeep Gladiator Mopar factory trailer brake controller - my impressions and review 044DD5A4-59F8-4180-B3FB-907D1B3E90FF
Thank you again Bill!

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
UPDATE - and good news
Go to the section in bold that applies to you and YOUR Gladiator:

If you have a 2021 Gladiator:
You will NOT have the brake lamp signal line feedback issue.
You can install pretty much any controller you want.
NO SPECIAL WIRING, NO SPECIAL HARNESS, NO NEED TO ORDER Tekonsha harness with diode.
Simply install your trailer brake controller and ENJOY, MOPAR, Redarc or otherwise.
Don't waste money or time on any special harness or flipping wires.

If you have a 2020 Gladiator BUILT in 2020:
You will NOT have the brake lamp signal line feedback issue.
You can install pretty much any controller you want, NO SPECIAL WIRING, NO SPECIAL HARNESS, NO NEED TO ORDER Tekonsha harness with diode.
Simply install your trailer brake controller and ENJOY, MOPAR, Redarc or otherwise.
Don't waste money or time on any special harness or flipping wires.

If you have a 2020 Gladiator BUILT IN 2019:
You WILL have the brake lamp signal line feedback issue. BUT - read on!
You can install pretty much any controller you want (MOPAR, Redarc, Curt, Tekonsha, etc.)
NO SPECIAL WIRING, NO SPECIAL HARNESS, NO NEED TO ORDER Tekonsha harness with diode.
Install your TBC (Trailer Brake Controller)
When finished - take your Gladiator to your dealer and point out the TSB information posted by JeepCares and Benny of AllMOPARParts.
If you have the DEALER flash your ABS with the latest software - it FIXES this issue.
You can buy and install any controller you want.
DO NOT WASTE MONEY on a special harness, don't mess with any diodes, don't buy a Ram harness from Redarc and switch wires around. THERE IS NO NEED NOW.
Install the MOPAR trailer brake controller- IGNORE the bits about any harness, no need to flip it on the mounting plate.
When done with the install, drive your JT to the dealer and point them to the information (below) about the FIX from Jeep.
IT IS FREE. It's a WARRANTY REPAIR.
THIS FIX TOOK CARE OF MINE. No argument, no hassle, they just did it and tested it and said yeah, that took care of it - and it did.

Here is the link to the post by @JeepCares -
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...r-my-impressions-and-review.36527/post-616520

Here is the PDF of the TSB (see attached brake-controller-08-102-20.pdf)

And here is the info telling your dealer to ignore the silly instructions about any sales code or wiring harness -

Attachments

MuddBud

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
This is excellent news. My wife and I wanted to purchase a travel trailer to avoid unnecessary personal contact in hotels. We were both extremely disappointed when our dashboard lit up after pressing the manual brake button on our Mopar unit. I’m calling my dealership first thing Monday to schedule an appointment. I’ll have to add resealing the leaky rear window into the warranty work. Wish me luck.

Sponsored

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Hyundai Veracruz & 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon LE
Thanks for the update! Dealer installing on Tuesday! Now I can send the tekonsha harness back :)

EXTORTION

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Law Enforcement
So far mine has work flawlessly, although I would like to see a on screen chart as its working. Otherwise no complaints here.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So far mine has work flawlessly, although I would like to see a on screen chart as its working. Otherwise no complaints here.
If your JT was built in 2020 or is a 2021 model year it would work without issue.
These are basic, like most other third party brake controllers and were never figured to be integrated.
I always figured by the 4 wire harness there wouldn't be integration.
Power, ground, power from controller to trailer brake solenoids, and brake lamp line.

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Hyundai Veracruz & 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon LE
Hey @ShadowsPapa , are you running a JL tazer with yours? I had dealer install the mopar brake controller, printed the TSB indicating it needs a flash. They said they did that but when i got the truck back and pushed the button my dash kit up... whodunnit? Dealer miss the flash or does the tazer need updated firmware to mirror this TSB?

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Hey @ShadowsPapa , are you running a JL tazer with yours? I had dealer install the mopar brake controller, printed the TSB indicating it needs a flash. They said they did that but when i got the truck back and pushed the button my dash kit up... whodunnit? Dealer miss the flash or does the tazer need updated firmware to mirror this TSB?
Just responded to the other message - I don't have a tazer, but I've read that it CAN undo updates to the BCM........ here's a link, can't find the other more complete explanation I had saved -
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/tazer-jl-mini.23297/page-2#post-565806
Sponsored