Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
That's what I think but my friend got me wondering !!
It will work.
It has 4 connections (wires)
12 volt power
Ground
output to trailer brakes
output to brake light wire (which in the Gladiator is ignored)
It detections motion, or changes in speed up or down using an accelerometer of one type or another.

It won't be directly connected to the brake hydraulics or to the transmission in any way.
It won't be aware of your transmission type or number of gears.

You will be totally fine.

However, for those with a 2020 Gladiator made before about January 2020, there is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) that needs to be applied by the dealer before a trailer brake controller is installed. IF the truck is still under warranty, it is covered by the warranty.
Sponsored

RubiCrusHehr

First Name
Miville
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Black JTRD
Occupation
Retired
It will work.
It has 4 connections (wires)
12 volt power
Ground
output to trailer brakes
output to brake light wire (which in the Gladiator is ignored)
It detections motion, or changes in speed up or down using an accelerometer of one type or another.

It won't be directly connected to the brake hydraulics or to the transmission in any way.
It won't be aware of your transmission type or number of gears.

You will be totally fine.

However, for those with a 2020 Gladiator made before about January 2020, there is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) that needs to be applied by the dealer before a trailer brake controller is installed. IF the truck is still under warranty, it is covered by the warranty.
If possible, do you have this TSB number close on hand ?
Thank you.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Attachments

JJ's JT

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Even though I have had my Gladiator Overland for over a year, I am new to the forum.

I took my 2020 Gladiator to the dealership today to get the Mopar Trailer Brake Controller installed. After a few hours I got a call from them saying I needed a new harness and the harness was not available until February, man did that sound familiar. The dealer technicians seem to not have all the necessary information to do this install. I recommend anyone having the controller installed, take a copy of the TSB and the Star Online Publication S2023000041 (11/09/2020) mentioned earlier in this thread. Let's just say this forum saved me from a frustrating day, thank you! They ultimately got it installed and the dash does not light up after pressing the button. I also tested it with ACC on and no issue. I still need to test it with the trailer.

Glad I got the installation for free, I had that worked into the deal when I bought the Gladiator in the Fall of 2019. Sure didn't think then that it would take so long to get it. Glad the dealership still honored the agreement after so much time.

While I was there I got on the waiting list for a new steering gear box to fix the steering wander issue (the subject of another thread).

Thanks again, it pays to do your homework on this forum before going to the dealership.

JJ

Last edited:
OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That's what happens when there's a total lack of communication - I mean even the PARTS PEOPLE who apparently sell this thing to dealers were told that harness was needed! My dealer shop tech called Jeep Star team, they were oblivious, so they told him to call the parts people connected to the trailer brake controller - they verified it needed the harness - obviously they were wrong, too, and clueless.
WOW, FCA/Jeep - you guys need to talk among yourselves (not to yourself)

Sponsored

TheProfessor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland - Gobi
Wow. I was planning on calling our dealer this week to set up a Mopar brake controller install, but thought I better check the forum first to see if there is any advice or issues or anything. Thought it might be a five minute check on the forum. Two hours later, I think I finally have the whole story! Thank you @ShadowsPapa and everyone who figured this all out!

We have a 2020 Overland that is an 11/2019 build with the Tow package, but no ACC or LED. We've also got a brand new Hiker Trailer that we want to hook up for some winter camping, so are excited to get the brake controller installed. Here's my takeaway for when we call our dealer:

-we say we want to install a Mopar brake controller, but also need the ABS fixed per the warranty

-we make sure they know of the TBS (12/8/2020) and also the Star Online Publication S2023000041 (11/9/2020)

Is that correct? This is all possible now it seems....if I read right . What a headache this seems to have been!

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, the one communication will tell them ignore parts of the instructions for the install such as needing that harness.
The other, the TSB or Technical Service Bulletin, will tell them that your truck needs a flash to deal with the errors that would appear under certain conditions.
They can do the flash either before or after installation.

The flash is pretty simple for them - if I recall the bulletin allows them .3 of an hour to do it.

JJ's JT

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I tried out the new trailer brake controller with the trailer over the weekend. It worked well as I could adjust the gain to the point I could lock up the trailer wheels. It seems to ramp voltage up to the trailer brakes as there was a second or 2 delay before the trailer brakes would get to the point of locking up. It also did that when pressing the foot brake. It would be interesting to see the voltage curve on the brake output to see if that is true.

Also when I initially tested the brake controller without the trailer but with adaptive cruise control on, I expected that pressing the manual brake button on the trailer brake controller would have kicked it out of ACC, but it did not.

Does anyone know if ACC or automatic braking engages the trailer brakes?

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Well being there is no "back flow" per say from the controller to the brake ciruit when you push the button i dont know how the ACC or regular cruise would know you hit the brakes. On a brake pedal push it should shut off. I try not to use cruise when i tow, but thats the way my father taught me to tow. I know alot use cruise, but just my feeling.

Sponsored

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I tried out the new trailer brake controller with the trailer over the weekend. It worked well as I could adjust the gain to the point I could lock up the trailer wheels. It seems to ramp voltage up to the trailer brakes as there was a second or 2 delay before the trailer brakes would get to the point of locking up. It also did that when pressing the foot brake. It would be interesting to see the voltage curve on the brake output to see if that is true.

Also when I initially tested the brake controller without the trailer but with adaptive cruise control on, I expected that pressing the manual brake button on the trailer brake controller would have kicked it out of ACC, but it did not.

It does engage the trailer brakes. I spent 1250 miles towing a trailer last year and verified it. When the ACC engages the brakes, you’ll see the truck brake lights come on, as well as the light in the brake controller engaging those brakes too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Itbdies engage the trailer brakes. I spent 1250 miles towing a trailer last year and verified it. When the ACC engages the brakes, you’ll see the truck brake lights come on, as well as the light in the brake controller engaging those brakes too.
What's ltbdies?

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

How would it kick out the ACC? There's nothing going to the ACC from the controller. It's a standalone unit not connected in to the truck in that way.

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

JJ's JT

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
How would it kick out the ACC? There's nothing going to the ACC from the controller. It's a standalone unit not connected in to the truck in that way.
I agree. If it were a more integrated approach, my opinion is that the ACC should kick out with the press of the brake controller.
Sponsored