Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, the one communication will tell them ignore parts of the instructions for the install such as needing that harness.
The other, the TSB or Technical Service Bulletin, will tell them that your truck needs a flash to deal with the errors that would appear under certain conditions.
They can do the flash either before or after installation.

The flash is pretty simple for them - if I recall the bulletin allows them .3 of an hour to do it.
I tried to get the flash done today while I was getting my oil changed. They were willing to do it, but then came back later and said they couldn't do it unless the error code was there in memory.
Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I tried to get the flash done today while I was getting my oil changed. They were willing to do it, but then came back later and said they couldn't do it unless the error code was there in memory.
What a crock of shit. They plug in a device and walk away. I will never understand dealers...

enigmaverse

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK Unlimited
So my issue seems a little different.. 2020 Launch Edition, received in June 2019. I did the install back in October, when it didn’t work , i turned here and saw all the hit bug and figured I’d wait it out.

The knob fitment to the dash was loose. If I turned the knob, the whole unit would turn inside the dash. Nothing a dab of glue couldn’t fix though.

With a trailer hooked up, I get the red indicator when brakes applied, green when released. However hitting the manual override does nothing. There very little movement in the button itself. No DTCs, no brake engaging, nothing.

Faulty unit maybe?

Anybody have this issue?

I’m going to bring it to the dealer on Monday, they tried finding the TSB last week but got stuck at a “see TSB” with no correlating TSB number.

MuddBud

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
So my issue seems a little different.. 2020 Launch Edition, received in June 2019. I did the install back in October, when it didn’t work , i turned here and saw all the hit bug and figured I’d wait it out.

The knob fitment to the dash was loose. If I turned the knob, the whole unit would turn inside the dash. Nothing a dab of glue couldn’t fix though.

With a trailer hooked up, I get the red indicator when brakes applied, green when released. However hitting the manual override does nothing. There very little movement in the button itself. No DTCs, no brake engaging, nothing.

Faulty unit maybe?

Anybody have this issue?

I’m going to bring it to the dealer on Monday, they tried finding the TSB last week but got stuck at a “see TSB” with no correlating TSB number.
I had the same issue when I initially installed mine. Turns out the knob and the housing were misaligned. I had to pop out the inner button and realign. Unfortunately, it I had to remove the whole unit from the dash.

enigmaverse

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK Unlimited
I had the same issue when I initially installed mine. Turns out the knob and the housing were misaligned. I had to pop out the inner button and realign. Unfortunately, it I had to remove the whole unit from the dash.
I was thinking that might be the case... the unit didnt really fit nice, the button has close to zero movement when I press it.

Sponsored

enigmaverse

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK Unlimited
I was thinking that might be the case... the unit didnt really fit nice, the button has close to zero movement when I press it.
Fixed. Pulled it apart, reassembled apart from the dash and got it all lined up, checked it was functioning... put it back in and we’re good to go.
Now to hook up a trailer and test!

enigmaverse

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK Unlimited
Fixed. Pulled it apart, reassembled apart from the dash and got it all lined up, checked it was functioning... put it back in and we’re good to go.
Now to hook up a trailer and test!
Tested today, all is right in the world. Just in time to tow my other Jeep to Gulches!

Ray Howrad

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S w/ Tow Package

Faulty unit maybe?

Anybody have this issue?

I had that issue and took it apart again and played with the internals of the button. I wish I could tell you what I did, but I think initially I had forced it together too hard so just kept assembling it until it felt right. Now it’s perfect. It should turn red when the manual button is pressed.

ChrisB02

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Traffic control
Yeah, the one communication will tell them ignore parts of the instructions for the install such as needing that harness.
The other, the TSB or Technical Service Bulletin, will tell them that your truck needs a flash to deal with the errors that would appear under certain conditions.

The flash is pretty simple for them - if I recall the bulletin allows them .3 of an hour to do it.

So just to be clear, If my Gladiator was built after January of 2020 and I decide to install the mopar trailer brake controller myself do I need the dealer to flash it?

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
So just to be clear, If my Gladiator was built after January of 2020 and I decide to install the mopar trailer brake controller myself do I need the dealer to flash it?
You will not need a flash. None of them need a flash for the brake controller install itself. Only those before Jan 2020 need a flash to the ABS module to fix the issue with manual brake activation.

Sponsored

salvino

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GC Trailhawk/ 2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Finance Guy
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the Redarc BC and while I haven’t used it a lot I have had no issues with it. My JTR is an LE so built in 2019.

ChrisB02

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Traffic control
You will not need a flash. None of them need a flash for the brake controller install itself. Only those before Jan 2020 need a flash to the ABS module to fix the issue with manual brake activation.
I just installed it myself. Does the dial not rotate pass all the numbers when a trailer is not hooked up? Mine turns to 3 then stops and I don’t want to force it and break it.

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed it myself. Does the dial not rotate pass all the numbers when a trailer is not hooked up? Mine turns to 3 then stops and I don’t want to force it and break it.
Sounds like you have an issue with a misassembled dial, a few people have run into it. you have to take the parts of the dial istelf apart and rotate them to the correct orientation, or make them replace it under warranty.

Marine2947

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Military
How hard was it to remove the inner button? And how did you do it? I think I have the same problem.

MuddBud

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
How hard was it to remove the inner button? And how did you do it? I think I have the same problem.
Not too tough, but you may end up breaking the inner plastic clips that help keep it together. I broke one on mine but it still held up just fine.
Sponsored