Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone with issues had the opportunity to try a different unit to see if it's the truck or the controller? Or had the chance to install their broken controller on another truck to see if still broken?
Did you not read the STAR communication that was posted and I reposted?
Also please read other messages going back a ways.

We've covered all of that ground - and we found a PATTERN - TRUCK BUILD DATES.

It's not the controller itself, it's the truck build so something about the TRUCK changed.
Won't do a lick of good swapping trailer brake controllers as the trouble follows the truck.

I have two or three other members' info to add to this but you can see the very clear pattern, and the Jeep/Star communication confirms what I've found here - it's the build dates of the truck.
User​
Errors?​
Build date​
ACC?​
LED lighting?​
Aberk​
Y​
06/09/19​
Y​
Y​
jwilson2899​
Y​
07/06/19​
Y​
Y​
atoy74​
Y​
07/09/19​
Y​
Y​
ShadowsPapa​
Y​
11/09/19​
Y​
Y​
Jsands​
Y​
12/06/19​
Y​
Y​
jeepfitter​
N​
02/17/20​
Y​
Y​
Pdiddy​
N​
06/25/20​
Y​
Y​
Pitch​
N​
08/20/20​
Y​
?​
jaxmax​
N​
08/21/20​
N​
N​
kclendaniel​
N​
09/11/20​
Y​
?​
Monte.Trumbull​
N​
10/16/20​
Y​
Y​

Jeep Gladiator Mopar Trailer Brake Controller for Jeep Gladiator Officially Released (Part # 82215652AB) 044DD5A4-59F8-4180-B3FB-907D1B3E90FF
Sponsored

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Did you not read the STAR communication that was posted and I reposted?
Also please read other messages going back a ways.

We've covered all of that ground - and we found a PATTERN - TRUCK BUILD DATES.

It's not the controller itself, it's the truck build so something about the TRUCK changed.
Won't do a lick of good swapping trailer brake controllers as the trouble follows the truck.

I have two or three other members' info to add to this but you can see the very clear pattern, and the Jeep/Star communication confirms what I've found here - it's the build dates of the truck.
User​
Errors?​
Build date​
ACC?​
LED lighting?​
Aberk​
Y​
06/09/19​
Y​
Y​
jwilson2899​
Y​
07/06/19​
Y​
Y​
atoy74​
Y​
07/09/19​
Y​
Y​
ShadowsPapa​
Y​
11/09/19​
Y​
Y​
Jsands​
Y​
12/06/19​
Y​
Y​
jeepfitter​
N​
02/17/20​
Y​
Y​
Pdiddy​
N​
06/25/20​
Y​
Y​
Pitch​
N​
08/20/20​
Y​
?​
jaxmax​
N​
08/21/20​
N​
N​
kclendaniel​
N​
09/11/20​
Y​
?​
Monte.Trumbull​
N​
10/16/20​
Y​
Y​

Jeep Gladiator Mopar Trailer Brake Controller for Jeep Gladiator Officially Released (Part # 82215652AB) 044DD5A4-59F8-4180-B3FB-907D1B3E90FF
read most of it but there wasn't a lot of clarity with the back and forth and multiple threads so thanks for this summary post. Should prob pin it to top of thread. build date is annoying since mines a 2019 build date....I have some ECU updates due so will have dealer flash first before doing the install to be up-to-date on that at least

MelodyFesperman

First Name
Melody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Information Technology
Had mine installed last week for $500 at our local dealer

b-roc

First Name
Broc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM
I just took delivery of a 2021 earlier this week and will likely be installing the brake controller this weekend.

Is there anything that I can buzz out during the install to aid in the "what's different since Jan 2020 build discussion?"

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I just took delivery of a 2021 earlier this week and will likely be installing the brake controller this weekend.

Is there anything that I can buzz out during the install to aid in the "what's different since Jan 2020 build discussion?"
You have no idea how much I wish there was something simple to check short of taking things apart in the truck.
You would literally have to take some panels off and access wiring on the right side and check for a diode by checking continuity two ways, or using the diode check setting on a multi-meter.
The problem is probing the lines where this connects won't tell you much.
You will have a line that's battery power, another that's ground, then one that goes back to the rear for the trailer brakes - and the one in question will be hot when you press the brake pedal and not when you don't - but even with a diode in that line (in the truck harness) it would read "hot".
It's hard to ask anyone to pull panels off, cutt tape and spend that much time and effort - and possibly come up empty.

Maybe Jeff has an idea.....

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
read most of it but there wasn't a lot of clarity with the back and forth and multiple threads so thanks for this summary post. Should prob pin it to top of thread. build date is annoying since mines a 2019 build date....I have some ECU updates due so will have dealer flash first before doing the install to be up-to-date on that at least
I agree, I wish there was a central place to put documents like TSBs, communications like the one from Star and so on.
I went in for my wave oil change and tire rotation and they did the PCM flash they said I was due for - it sure as heck changed how my truck shifts and winds up between shifts and such - but no difference other than engine and transmission changes.

They say the difference is "January 2020" and newer builds work, while older than January 2020 have the issue. I wish it was narrowed down as January is quite a few days - so is the change January 1, January 30, January 15th at 1 pm?
Apparently they don't have enough data to know - OR, simply haven't seen a need to be specific. Gotta be frustrating to those dealers working with a January 2020 built truck.

Had mine installed last week for $500 at our local dealer
That $200+ install fee is why I did my own. (plus I'm a college educated mechanic so don't like paying others to do what I can)
That $200 will go to other accessories- it more than paid for my Daystar .75" spacer kit and partially paid for the proximity lock parts.

And the $300 controller cost is why some are using the $136 Redarc (and saving hundreds), or the $220 dual-mode Redarc controller. (or because they want to KEEP the 12 volt outlet)

b-roc

First Name
Broc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM
You have no idea how much I wish there was something simple to check short of taking things apart in the truck.
You would literally have to take some panels off and access wiring on the right side and check for a diode by checking continuity two ways, or using the diode check setting on a multi-meter.
The problem is probing the lines where this connects won't tell you much.
You will have a line that's battery power, another that's ground, then one that goes back to the rear for the trailer brakes - and the one in question will be hot when you press the brake pedal and not when you don't - but even with a diode in that line (in the truck harness) it would read "hot".
It's hard to ask anyone to pull panels off, cutt tape and spend that much time and effort - and possibly come up empty.

Yeah ... I figured that either 1) there might be a small voltage drop between battery and activated brake light due to drop across the diode, 2) or maybe a diode check between one of the pins that connect to the controller and the trailer connection.

I am not in a big hurry to pull panels for a snipe hunt (and thanks for realizing that!). That said ... if those who have spent time with the wiring diagrams have ideas, let me know ... of course, there would need to be somebody checking on an earlier build too

I definitely have the skills to troubleshoot this (former integration and test engineer for satellites ... among other things). I just don't have the time to go over the diagrams for this right now.

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
btw my build date is 05/19 and it's a LE so it has ACC and LEDs and so on. I try to do it around Thanksgiving holidays

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah ... I figured that either 1) there might be a small voltage drop between battery and activated brake light due to drop across the diode, 2) or maybe a diode check between one of the pins that connect to the controller and the trailer connection.
Then you can do basic electric troubleshooting........

The pin going back to the trailer brakes is always a straight shot - no nothing in between. That's not the one that causes issues, it's the line to the brake lamp system of the truck.

The power, ground and line to the trailer connector for the brakes aren't an issue - and the latter is a straight shot.

Stevevdbh

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Manager
Mine may have other issues then as mine did that the first couple of times I started the truck but the past several times, NO light at all.
First couple of times, the LED glowed red for about 2, maybe 3 seconds, then went out - even with foot on the brake. I figured that was the wake-up cycle, made sense.
But now - my truck sits for a couple of days, I go start it, nothing at all from the brake controller, not that red light I saw for a couple of seconds the first couple of times.
ShadowPapa- My dealer called me and ordered the controller for my Truck that is due next week, but he installed a few and has found out about the issues. You have any ideas on what the fix might be ? Not sure if I should just buy it and hold on to it till they figure it out? Thoughts? Thanks!

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
ShadowPapa- My dealer called me and ordered the controller for my Truck that is due next week, but he installed a few and has found out about the issues. You have any ideas on what the fix might be ? Not sure if I should just buy it and hold on to it till they figure it out? Thoughts? Thanks!
Nothing concrete or solid.
Some suggest that Jeep added a diode to the connector for the brake controller in the JTs starting January 2020 - however, I don't feel that's a high probability. My reasoning -
That would suggest that they KNEW of the issue BEFORE January 2020.
In order to get such a change into a production vehicle, it would mean a lot of "paper work", engineering, and change orders for the harnesses being made for Jeep before 1-1-2020.
So the ball for such a change had to be rolling way back in 2019. (anyone in engineering or EE would understand the hoops to jump through)
It implies they knew of the issue a good year ago and yet they seem to be shocked that there are problems in older vehicles?
So it implies in a way they made a change to the Jeeps either for some other reason, or in hopes of a fully integrated controller, and instead released a simple, basic controller that doesn't integrate but acts like the third party controller.

The communication says they were aware of problems with the JT made before 1-1-20 when using a 3rd party brake controller (Redarc, Curt, etc.) - in my mind, odd - how long have they known that and yet they released the exact same thing - a 3rd party controller with their branding on it.

The wiring diagrams and schematics for these vehicles indicates relays and circuits for trailer brake lights and other trailer related lights exist in these trucks - to me suggesting they were planning on a fully integrated controller, but they came out with what is really a third party non-integrated controller.

I'm leaving mine in place - for now - waiting for their fix. If I didn't have another Jeep the Redarc I have could go into, I'd possibly pull this one out and send it back since it's covered under the truck's warranty and put the Redarc back, but then, because this Mopar one is covered under the truck's warranty, they owe a fix and I won't be towing until car shows start up again, I have time to wait and my curiosity is killing me! LOL

Anyway, it depends on how badly you want one that has a knob or control that matches the rest of the JT knobs and dials and such, and how soon you need to tow with brakes.
It is a Mopar branded part so has a warranty by itself, but supposedly if installed is covered under the truck's warranty as well. They told me I was covered - but they'd have to wait for Jeep to release a fix - whatever that will be.

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with you, since it’s in the brake light wire, you’d have to take a bunch of stuff apart and without a wiring diagram would be a pretty big wild goose chase.

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Mine may have other issues then as mine did that the first couple of times I started the truck but the past several times, NO light at all.
First couple of times, the LED glowed red for about 2, maybe 3 seconds, then went out - even with foot on the brake. I figured that was the wake-up cycle, made sense.
But now - my truck sits for a couple of days, I go start it, nothing at all from the brake controller, not that red light I saw for a couple of seconds the first couple of times.
That’s interesting and doesn’t jive with the instructions or how mine is acting. I still get the red light when I press the brake pedal to startup, then it goes out after releasing it. That’s also how my old Tekonsha Prodigy controller behaved. It would wake up and show the display, then after releasing the brake it would flash NC (no connection) and go to sleep.

JTGladly

First Name
Sibi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubi; 2016 JKUR; 2010 Commander Hemi
Occupation
Software development
Update from my case: The dealer installed the brake controller in my 2020 JTR and told me that the infamous part (sales code ADH) was needed for it to work. While everyone else installing it themselves bypassed that step. As expected when I hooked it to my trailer, everything worked perfectly. So the ADH sales code part is only for some of the older wrangler models like many have pointed out. Wanted to throw this out there if someone was wondering. Looks and working great btw.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Update from my case: The dealer installed the brake controller in my 2020 JTR and told me that the infamous part (sales code ADH) was needed for it to work. While everyone else installing it themselves bypassed that step. As expected when I hooked it to my trailer, everything worked perfectly. So the ADH sales code part is only for some of the older wrangler models like many have pointed out. Wanted to throw this out there if someone was wondering. Looks and working great btw.
I REALLY WISH anyone with this controller or considering this controller would take this document to their dealership and not mess around with them trying to figure out what they should KNOW selling these trucks - there is NO ADH sales code for JT!

If you are going to buy a controller through a dealer or have a dealer INSTALL it, please grab a copy of this image, print it and show it to your shop people. Obviously they aren't aware of it.

Sponsored