Sponsored

Mountain Bikes - How are you guys carrying them??

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
RakAttach swingout with Recon Rack for multiple bikes... just ordered the EVOC Duo pad for quick rips
1610737420296.png
How stable is that rack Offroad?

I am using my 1Up USA. It is on its third vehicle.
Sponsored

TexasTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
Does anyone know of a way to secure a single bike to a single crossbar? If I run it on both cross bars, I can't open my tonneau cover.

If not I'll probably just keep running my 1UP hitch rack (it does have the slot underneath for a roof rack)

20210112_142628.jpg

20210105_161730.jpg

20210112_140915.jpg

Levi.Butler

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Data Engineer
Does anyone know of a way to secure a single bike to a single crossbar? If I run it on both cross bars, I can't open my tonneau cover.

If not I'll probably just keep running my 1UP hitch rack (it does have the slot underneath for a roof rack)

Jeep Gladiator Mountain Bikes - How are you guys carrying them?? 20210112_140915

Jeep Gladiator Mountain Bikes - How are you guys carrying them?? 20210112_140915

Thats why I went with a fork mount on the front rail and a tire tray on the rear. If there isn't a bike on it, everything functions like normal.

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
How stable is that rack Offroad?

I am using my 1Up USA. It is on its third vehicle.
All I can say is that it's fine. My setup is unique in that I have always have the RakAttach arm attached and it introduces flex, as well as moving the weight of the rack even further out. The Recon Rack is solid and I 100% trust it. The bikes like to "sway" left and right over the off camber stuff when the truck is rocking since they are merely cradled by the tires and held with heavy duty bungee cords. If we head to Moab and I know we'll hit the longer washboard sections I always secure the cranks with a strap and I tend to drive slower. Overall I'll say that I think a horizontal holder might be better suited for faster speeds and a lot of left-right rocking of the vehicle.

I actually haven't driven with the Recon Rack off-road when it's not attached to the swingout carrier.

Sponsored

Levi.Butler

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Data Engineer

TexasTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
I've got thru-axles on all 3 of my bikes... the fork mounts I got come with adapters for multiple different sizes of forks...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DHDHZMX?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

What part of TX are you in? If you're near Houston and you wanna see my setup... that's 100% fine.
I was hoping for something without removing the front wheel, but I may have to get over that.

Fortunately, I don't live in Houston haha. I appreciate the offer though.

Levi.Butler

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Data Engineer
I was hoping for something without removing the front wheel, but I may have to get over that.

Fortunately, I don't live in Houston haha. I appreciate the offer though.
Yeah... I'd love to be able to leave the front wheel on but I just couldn't come up with a way around it. I'd either be taking the front wheel off or I'd be re-mounting a bike rack if I wanted to still be able to open the bed cover. Ultimately... taking a front wheel on and off is easier than installing/removing a bike rack every time I want to go ride.

IamAlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry Willys
Occupation
Retired
Thule Bed Rider is easily installed and removed. Cam over securement and a locking latch. And they sell a QR to Thru axle adapter in 12-15-20mm sizes.
The downside is the cost. I found a customer return for $120 but retail is $250. plus $60 for an adapter.
My fear of carrying bikes on a hitch mounted rack is that I've added a $2000 carbon fiber bumper extension.

tempImageW0mHAK.png

Sponsored

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Diamonback se.
Rhino rack HD cross bars.
Yakima high road.

Bike rack takes seconds to install.
Lifting that 70 lb bike up there is not for the weak. Hahaha.
Jeep Gladiator Mountain Bikes - How are you guys carrying them?? 20210118_230851

Last edited:

mfreitas

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Yeah... I'd love to be able to leave the front wheel on but I just couldn't come up with a way around it. I'd either be taking the front wheel off or I'd be re-mounting a bike rack if I wanted to still be able to open the bed cover. Ultimately... taking a front wheel on and off is easier than installing/removing a bike rack every time I want to go ride.
I purchased a wheel bag from Amazon that can hold two wheels. I keep the wheels in the bag in the bed with the bikes while traveling and throw it in the back of the cab when we stop for food or drinks after a ride.

mfreitas

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Thule Bed Rider is easily installed and removed. Cam over securement and a locking latch. And they sell a QR to Thru axle adapter in 12-15-20mm sizes.
The downside is the cost. I found a customer return for $120 but retail is $250. plus $60 for an adapter.
My fear of carrying bikes on a hitch mounted rack is that I've added a $2000 carbon fiber bumper extension.
Go Bucks!!

VaughnJT

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 BW Gladiator Sport S Max Tow