Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
AT's are more suitable for all around use. Here is So Cal...what's mud??? Coopers have always lasted the rated 60-70,000 miles. Some AT's are mild and some have an aggressive tread. I've ran Cooper's quite a bit.
Maybe parts of CA don't want to know what mud is at this time. But you have rocks and sand, right? Maybe dust? Hmmmm........
Every part of the US has different things to contend with, that's why difference vehicles sell better or worse in some areas, different tires sell better or worse in some areas and so on. Here, real full-sized trucks are king, Jeeps are more fun, status, or for snow and ice and fields and ditches and river beds. No rock crawling around here unless you break park rules.

They call them "M/T" or "A/T" for reasons. One is best for mud and ok for other stuff, the other is better all-around tire, fine for highway, WET pavement, etc.

Here's what I suggest - go to the tire makers web site. Every tire maker has charts that show what each tire is best at. If you don't have much mud but have sand, snow, WET pavement and so on, then look for the tires with the highest rating for what YOU and YOUR TRUCK will encounter.
Again, people recommend what they themselves run. Why not - do to otherwise makes it look like they made a mistake or run second-best! You will always have that. What's the best this or that, it depends on what the answerer is using! If a person runs mud tires and loves them, they they will recommend that as to do otherwise makes them look silly. Few will say "I run these but it's a mistake".

Anyway look up on the web - you will find charts were each tire is rated for what it does best.
Here I want to run tires best on slick highways, snow and ice. Slick highways means that after 3 or 4 weeks of no rain, the first rain will be VERY slippery as all of the oils and greases and tire wear rubber will float on the witer and it will be terrible for turning and braking.
The first rain after a dry spell on highways is really nasty. It's expecially so when there's a lot of truck traffic. That means more oils, more grease, more tire particles to float and make that rain very slick.

Don't buy for what looks cool unless you don't care about performance or safety. Too many buy based on cool, show-it-off factor. I don't give a rip- I buy what's safest and what suits the sort of roads or even non-roads I may encounter.
People will lead or sway you - the charts don't, they don't lie or try to sway you toward their way of thinking.
If you want to fit in and that's your thing........ if you care more about looks, you'll get a ton of that.
But so far, I've seen no one show any of the comparisons or charts based on testing.
Sponsored

stingrey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JTR, '15 Range Rover
Occupation
Civil Eng
The one nice thing with the Falken AT’s that come with the Rubicon is they have the snowflake on them which where I live in Canada means I don’t have to also get snow rated tires for the winter. I like the look of MT’s but the snowflake rating of the AT’s make it more of a viable option for me. When I switch my tires over, I’ll probably keep the Falken’s for winter time use.
BFG A/T KO2's also have the Snowflake. I wouldn't rule them out. They are quiet on asphalt, good in snow and the tread lasts pretty long.

JKABBQ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Corsair, 1991 P40
BFG A/T KO2's also have the Snowflake. I wouldn't rule them out. They are quiet on asphalt, good in snow and the tread lasts pretty long.
This I didn’t know. Thanks for the info!

MR GRANITE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave Gobi
I wanted to try the Toyo Open Country 3’s in 285/75r17 or 35/11.50r17 but both were on backorder for more than 30 days. Just ordered Nitto Trail Grapplers. Most dealers here ordered Mojave’s with MT rubber.

volfo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler 2 door; 2021 Gladiator Mojave
I did a lot of searching on the Jeep site using my zip code and nearby ones trying to find a mojave with A/Ts nearly impossible. I found one within 300 miles. On the Overland, the Bridgestone Dueler A/T tires are not very aggressive looking but on the Mojave / Rubicon the 33 Falcons are. They look similar to mud tires just sitting on the truck. Just put a set of the 33' BFG KO2s on a Landcruiser and I second the opinion on those. They look aggressive and drive well on pavement without too much noise. Had all season Dunlops on there before and with a 2" lift and the KO2s the noise difference and road manners is not that different.

Sponsored

Phred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Green Gladiator Rubicon
Here in PA my BFG ATs were shitty in snow.

PENDOT does a real shitty job anymore clearing the roads. The snow is normally very wet so the AT treads packed rendering the tires useless. Couldn’t even back up my driveway at times.

The MT throws/clears the treads better and bites into the slushy and wet/compact snow better. MTs do better in unplowed side streets.

On wet roads the ATs are better as there are more contact points I think...coupled with slightly softer compounds. I just use caution on the MTs in rain.

Nothing is good on ice...just stay home...LOL.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I did a lot of searching on the Jeep site using my zip code and nearby ones trying to find a mojave with A/Ts nearly impossible. I found one within 300 miles. On the Overland, the Bridgestone Dueler A/T tires are not very aggressive looking but on the Mojave / Rubicon the 33 Falcons are. They look similar to mud tires just sitting on the truck. Just put a set of the 33' BFG KO2s on a Landcruiser and I second the opinion on those. They look aggressive and drive well on pavement without too much noise. Had all season Dunlops on there before and with a 2" lift and the KO2s the noise difference and road manners is not that different.
The Overland has H/T not A/T tires. The charts from last year were incorrect.

They say H/T right on the side and were the only tire from the factory for Overland.

MR GRANITE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave Gobi
The Overland has H/T not A/T tires. The charts from last year were incorrect.

They say H/T right on the side and were the only tire from the factory for Overland.
HT stands for highway tire?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
HT stands for highway tire?
Yeah.
One of the charts last summer/fall had things messed up and showed the Overland with A/T - all terraine - which was absolutely wrong. That wasn't even an option for the Overland.
The tires with the Overland are a good general, over-all highway tire.
OK for snow, but not rated for snow if you are in Canada where they have laws requiring a snow-rated tire with the "snowflake" symbol on them in their winter months.
The Rubicon stock Falken A/T does have that rating.
Jeep sort of confused things with that chart - a typo that I'm not sure if they ever correct through the 2020 model year.
Don't get me wrong - they are fine, ok tires, but mostly for street all-weather use, not great for off-road. I'm keeping mine and will run them through our good months until worn out - who knows, may keep doing that and keep the A/T tires I bought for badder weather or off-road - but around here off-road means you missed a curve or a T-intersection and ended up off the road LOL

Scteal

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Ordered my Mojave with A/T's but came in with M/T's. When I asked about this, was told that the Mojave's were being shipped with M/T's only at this time. Decided that I'll give the M/T's a go even though I ran several YJ' s and my JKU with M/T's before, with mixed results. One thing is a given, M/T's do hum and can become loud with out proper tire rotations.

Have to agree with Phred, the BFG KO2 are awful in snow! We have snow on the ground from November to April and tried the BFG KO2 because everyone on the forums were saying they were excellent in snow, what B/S! Also found out that after about 15000 miles the BFG KO2 go to crap, they were slippery on wet pavement and pretty useless in lightly cover mud roads. For the last 20+ years, I run a dedicated studded winter tire with no issues (except the 1 year I decided to listen to you guys, LOL). I will be doing the same with the Mojave.

Sponsored

DubaiMarauder

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Truck Driver
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone know how the Duratracs compare to the stock Falken Wildpeak AT's?

atxatxatx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WK2Grand Cherokee,Gladiator Mojave
Have to agree with Phred, the BFG KO2 are awful in snow! We have snow on the ground from November to April and tried the BFG KO2 because everyone on the forums were saying they were excellent in snow, what B/S! Also found out that after about 15000 miles the BFG KO2 go to crap, they were slippery on wet pavement and pretty useless in lightly cover mud roads. For the last 20+ years, I run a dedicated studded winter tire with no issues (except the 1 year I decided to listen to you guys, LOL). I will be doing the same with the Mojave.
Yup I had similar with the KO2's on my JKU, there were nice initially but after so many miles that special layer was gone and then the tires became dangerous, I had to be really careful with them when it got wet. Based on my experience I would not get the same tire again.

My Mojave came with the A/T Wildpeak tires

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
I have the Falken Wild Peat MT. 33s. Digging them so far. Waiting for real snow to try them out. The reviews I read said they clear snow really well. They do not plow in the Springs. They usually let the sun deal with it. Off road I dig them. Been cooler and at about 33 psi nice and comfy for light trails with the Rubicon shocks. I need to adjust for my change in tire size. The mileage is showing 15.3. Will probably buy a Tazer soon.

DaddyG

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Site superintendent
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe parts of CA don't want to know what mud is at this time. But you have rocks and sand, right? Maybe dust? Hmmmm........
Every part of the US has different things to contend with, that's why difference vehicles sell better or worse in some areas, different tires sell better or worse in some areas and so on. Here, real full-sized trucks are king, Jeeps are more fun, status, or for snow and ice and fields and ditches and river beds. No rock crawling around here unless you break park rules.

They call them "M/T" or "A/T" for reasons. One is best for mud and ok for other stuff, the other is better all-around tire, fine for highway, WET pavement, etc.

Here's what I suggest - go to the tire makers web site. Every tire maker has charts that show what each tire is best at. If you don't have much mud but have sand, snow, WET pavement and so on, then look for the tires with the highest rating for what YOU and YOUR TRUCK will encounter.
Again, people recommend what they themselves run. Why not - do to otherwise makes it look like they made a mistake or run second-best! You will always have that. What's the best this or that, it depends on what the answerer is using! If a person runs mud tires and loves them, they they will recommend that as to do otherwise makes them look silly. Few will say "I run these but it's a mistake".

Anyway look up on the web - you will find charts were each tire is rated for what it does best.
Here I want to run tires best on slick highways, snow and ice. Slick highways means that after 3 or 4 weeks of no rain, the first rain will be VERY slippery as all of the oils and greases and tire wear rubber will float on the witer and it will be terrible for turning and braking.
The first rain after a dry spell on highways is really nasty. It's expecially so when there's a lot of truck traffic. That means more oils, more grease, more tire particles to float and make that rain very slick.

Don't buy for what looks cool unless you don't care about performance or safety. Too many buy based on cool, show-it-off factor. I don't give a rip- I buy what's safest and what suits the sort of roads or even non-roads I may encounter.
People will lead or sway you - the charts don't, they don't lie or try to sway you toward their way of thinking.
If you want to fit in and that's your thing........ if you care more about looks, you'll get a ton of that.
But so far, I've seen no one show any of the comparisons or charts based on testing.
Sound advice !
I'll be moving to the Delaware shore before years end.....knowing that, I'm trying to find a good A/T tire since most of my driving will be on the roads, and the beach.....BUT, I just may pick up a set of Ironman 315 70/17 M/T's because I can get them at a stupidly low price.......like "I've already spent more on dinner and drinks" low price.......otherwise, I'd be looking for an A/T tire in a "D" rating.
I mention the rating because I gotta guy in Jersey (who doesn't gotta guy in Jersey) told me my "ride quality" may suffer a bit if I go with an "E" rated tire.....seems the 10 ply's are way over rated for the Gladiators weight capacity, have stiffer sidewalls, and just give a more harsh ride.

DaddyG

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Site superintendent
Vehicle Showcase
Will be driving more on the road than off road but will be doing some off roading. What would be the best to go with?
Personally, I like the look of some of the "hybrid" tires out there.....kind of a cross between a M/T and an A/T.....supposed to be the "best of both worlds" Kelly Safari TSR's or Dick Cepek Trail country EXP's are up pretty high on my list, for looks AND because the price isn't gonna kill you like the Toyo's or Nitto's will.
Sponsored