Sponsored

My Gladiator is the most polarizing vehicle I’ve ever owned.

redriderjf87

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
saltmustflow.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT, '81 Z-28, '18 TW200, '72 CT 175
Occupation
Electrical Controls Engineer
The long cab short bed is never going to be well proportioned for a truck, in my opinion. Of course some want the extra space so it's a tradeoff.

IamAlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry Willys
Occupation
Retired
The long cab short bed is never going to be well proportioned for a truck, in my opinion. Of course some want the extra space so it's a tradeoff.
Different strokes. Ford managed to sell a ton of crew cabs built that way. The Taco, too.
Have you seen the new Hyundai Santa Cruz? It has a Subaru Brat sized bed.
Jeep Gladiator My Gladiator is the most polarizing vehicle I’ve ever owned. 2022-hyundai-santa-cruz-108-1618425094

redriderjf87

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
saltmustflow.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT, '81 Z-28, '18 TW200, '72 CT 175
Occupation
Electrical Controls Engineer
Different strokes. Ford managed to sell a ton of crew cabs built that way. The Taco, too.
Have you seen the new Hyundai Santa Cruz? It has a Subaru Brat sized bed.
2022-hyundai-santa-cruz-108-1618425094.jpg
Different strokes. I never said that 4 door trucks with tiny beds don't sell, not sure why you brought that up.

Practicality is a tradeoff for good proportions in this case and many others. Doesn't say much about styling by itself though.

DPF140

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Engineering Technical Director
Jeep Gladiator My Gladiator is the most polarizing vehicle I’ve ever owned. 1632512371644

Ford (Mavrick) and Hyundai is definitely targeting a different crowd!!!!

Sponsored

LittleFish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator and a lot of other toys...
Occupation
Realtor
Yes, it's a very polarizing vehicle. Even in my own family, opinions on it are strong.

The other day, my daughter and I were driving and she pipes up "I feel like a Princess when I'm in this truck".

Well, that was an interesting comment, "Why do you feel like a Princes in here"?

"Everybody looks at you when you drive by and so many people wave" (she's all smiles as she mentions this juicy little tidbit).

"Oh, so what you're saying is... YOU LIKE THIS TRUCK"

Realizing the jaws just snapped shut and she's now trapped. A quick pause and she retorts with "No, I think it's ugly but I do like the attention". :CWL:

Picking the kids up from school the other day. I get a random text from one of her friends. That text is a picture of my truck from the upper floor of the school. "There's a really ugly truck parked outside". :CWL: It may be ugly but you noticed it from half a block away!

That "noticing it" aspect is huge for me. Once my graphic designer is done doing her thing, this truck is going to become a rolling Real Estate Billboard. I'd be a fool not to advertise on this thing!

Sponsored

IamAlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry Willys
Occupation
Retired
Jeep Gladiator My Gladiator is the most polarizing vehicle I’ve ever owned. 1632512371644

Ford (Mavrick) and Hyundai is definitely targeting a different crowd!!!!
I love the Subaru Brat/Baja look. I'm not convinced that the Maverick will be any better than it's namesake ('72 Mav was the Worst POS I ever owned). The Hyundai is a modified Santa Fe. I looked at the Santa Cruz and dealers are asking MSRP plus a $2500 "Vehicle Shortage" fee. I've been looking for a second car, but I'll wait until this nonsensical market goes away.

ShirtlessCubsFan

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 VW GLI, 2020 Mercedes GLB, 2022 Mojave
Occupation
Systems Engineer
I considered a Ridgeline before coming back to Jeep and ordering a Gladiator. Both of these trucks, along with the Maverick and the Santa Cruz, seem to get a lot of flack from the good ole boys who claim they're not real trucks because they're a unibody design, or based on a car/SUV/minivan chassis, or whatever other asinine reason. What's even more pathetic is that many of these overly defensive and sensitive people flip out their tow mirrors to haul nothing more than a Yeti cooler full of gas station Bud Light. A truck is simply defined as a vehicle that has a separate passenger space and an open cargo space. Like it or not, these are trucks.

I didn't consider the Ridgeline or Gladiator to haul tons of broken earth while towing commercial mining equipment. I just needed something to haul camping equipment, dirty mountain bikes, and smelly sports gear in a space that doesn't stink up or stain my interior.

The Gladiator does that while still letting me enjoy the trails I used to enjoy in my old Jeep. It's a real truck and before the Jeep diehards claim otherwise like I've seen them do, it's also a real Jeep.

AZCooWhip

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Maybe it’s the state here in The Great 48. Peeps go out of their way ....sitting at a light or haulin‘ donkey down the interstate.

I’m constantly having to turn my radio down to answer the inquiries.... it’s quite funny actually.

No ugly here ....very uniquely different from every other jelly bean on the road today.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
The Gladiator is ugly.

Its elongated form looks awkward. But it serves a purpose. So its cool in a way. Because of the length all factory wheels look too small.

But put 35s on it and it looks purposeful. Ugly, but purposeful.

This is in contrast to something like the Pontiac Aztec that was ugly but purposeLESS. The ugly was because of all kinds of strange pointless styling features. It wasn't caused by the functional requirements of the design.
Many Aztec owners would disagree.
http://everyauto.com/cars/research-reviews/Pontiac/Aztek/
Sponsored