Sponsored

New 2022 Ecodiesel Already In the Shop

Deleted member 22728

There you go using logic and diagnostic skills. Don't you know that the modern flat rate system has beaten all of that kind of initiative out of dealer techs. You are a lucky man that you figured it out yoruself. Or you'd be on your 3rd turbo replacement by now.
I know all too well.
Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know all too well.
Ha. I just saw your profile. Yup.

The sad thing is that for you to work methodically like you did to diagnose this on customers' cars you would be costing yourself money.

A good pay plan incents employees to do what is best for the customer. Flat rate plans obviously don't.

Deleted member 22728

Ha. I just saw your profile. Yup.

The sad thing is that for you to work methodically like you did to diagnose this on customers' cars you would be costing yourself money.

A good pay plan incents employees to do what is best for the customer. Flat rate plans obviously don't.
Indeed, the only time I ever worked in a dealer setting was to glean training on the new at the time 6.0 International diesel aka Powerstroke. Warranty pay was about 30% of customer retail pay; thus you starved, as that engine exploded right off the lot when new. The training was what I wanted, and the real value.

A poor service department can destroy a brand and/or particular model as a customer experience. Generally speaking...and I'm sure our resident AMC guy can attest...warranties are 25% government mandated, the remainder are simply marketing. It's like health insurance, and about as worthwhile nowadays; the AMC Buyer Protection Plan I and II were groundbreaking in 1972 and 3 in that you got what was benchmark today. A bumper-bumper (save tires) warranty that also provided a loaner car and a sort-of trip insurance if you were away from home. Originally 12/12, BPP II made it even better with a 24/24 warranty; it was very successful, however AMC noted in it's 1974 Annual Report to Investors that despite record earnings, BPP claims came right out of operating income. Thus, the industry "came up" with warranty v/s customer pay, stating that "an experienced technician can expect to complete the operation given this time". Sure, the transmission man can bang-out 1500 campaign claims on a defective ring, beating warranty pay after the first 10 plus training, then make gravy thereafter (using the 5R110 Ford as an example). I imagine that any given 5-Star FCA Jeep dealer might.....might see a 1/100 ratio of Eco JL/JT units, with the diesel techs splitting time between the 6.7 and 3.0 in all platforms. And, generally speaking, diag time pays......absolutely zero.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Indeed, the only time I ever worked in a dealer setting was to glean training on the new at the time 6.0 International diesel aka Powerstroke. Warranty pay was about 30% of customer retail pay; thus you starved, as that engine exploded right off the lot when new. The training was what I wanted, and the real value.

A poor service department can destroy a brand and/or particular model as a customer experience. Generally speaking...and I'm sure our resident AMC guy can attest...warranties are 25% government mandated, the remainder are simply marketing. It's like health insurance, and about as worthwhile nowadays; the AMC Buyer Protection Plan I and II were groundbreaking in 1972 and 3 in that you got what was benchmark today. A bumper-bumper (save tires) warranty that also provided a loaner car and a sort-of trip insurance if you were away from home. Originally 12/12, BPP II made it even better with a 24/24 warranty; it was very successful, however AMC noted in it's 1974 Annual Report to Investors that despite record earnings, BPP claims came right out of operating income. Thus, the industry "came up" with warranty v/s customer pay, stating that "an experienced technician can expect to complete the operation given this time". Sure, the transmission man can bang-out 1500 campaign claims on a defective ring, beating warranty pay after the first 10 plus training, then make gravy thereafter (using the 5R110 Ford as an example). I imagine that any given 5-Star FCA Jeep dealer might.....might see a 1/100 ratio of Eco JL/JT units, with the diesel techs splitting time between the 6.7 and 3.0 in all platforms. And, generally speaking, diag time pays......absolutely zero.
I worked as a service writer and tech at a Saab/Subaru dealer in the mid 80s. Customer pay was always more like you said. But warranty time was still roughly 60% of customer pay time. So a good tech could make money.

We also had a Saab Master Technician who was essentially the lemon law guy for the entire east coast. If a dealer couldn't figure out a problem they were instructed by our Service rep to flatbed the car to our dealership where this guy would take his time diagnosing. He was paid well for his expertise, but he was "special".

He could also knock out a transmission replacement (pretty common for Saabs) in about 30% of book time and never had ANY come backs. Amazing guy. He eventually opened his own shop and then realized that he enjoyed working on cars more than runnng a business and went back to a dealer.

Kintama40

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Diesel
Occupation
Fleet Maintenance Manager
As long as its decent, I'd be happy putting miles on someone else's car. I've put 1500 miles on my gladiator in 20 days. ouch.
I put 1200 on my eco in 7 days..

Sponsored

aevgladitorrubi

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Med Sales
Vehicle Showcase
Well my new 22 Ecodiesel is already going into the shop. Less than 400 miles and I have a check engine light, service electronic throttle control and service stability control messages. It will barely run and is jerking when it does. I'm having it towed in Monday morning. Hopefully it is nothing major. If any others have had this issue let me know!
Mine started at 500 miles-- a stream of check engine lights, took over 10 months to diag and fix! Good luck-- I'm in a buy back!

aevgladitorrubi

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Med Sales
Vehicle Showcase
Monday will be three weeks it’s been at the dealership. According to the advisor they had to take the cab off to get the turbo replaced. She says the tech is in the process of putting it back together.
I had to get the rear EGR cooler replaced and they had to take the cab off the frame! Poor design! Can you imagine paying for that out of warranty-- over $3K just for labor!

Teqsand

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD & 22 JTRD
Occupation
Bum
My 22 (in service 19 Feb) has 3k miles on it and been in the shop more than on the road... emissions, leaks, washer pump, shocks, and now the high pressure fuel pump imploded, another 30 days to replace the entire fuel system

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
My 22 (in service 19 Feb) has 3k miles on it and been in the shop more than on the road... emissions, leaks, washer pump, shocks, and now the high pressure fuel pump imploded, another 30 days to replace the entire fuel system
you don’t have to post every thread about your issues with the ecodiesel. Yes the cp4 can fail but there’s millions out there running and the failure rate is low. It is a known risk with ultra low sulfurs fuel. Running an additive is cheap insurance.

mbrown2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current-JT Rubi Diesel,Past-Jeep JL Rubi, Ram 1500
My ECO has been in the shop 192 days (4 different occasions) and counting since 3-16-22.......at 5k the brakes, 9k fuel pump, 11k the many lights and limp mode (Electronic Throttle Control, Electronic Traction Control, Check Engine)....they said broken particulate filter...picked it up and drove it 500 miles and all the lights come back w/limp mode and no diagnosis yet after being in the shop 4 weeks...

Its in buy back process...

Surprised when they came out with the recent recall for the Ram 1500 and Grand Cherokee Diesel they did not include the Gladiator....this platform has issues......and what's worse they don't understand how to solve them a year plus into this...

Sponsored

Wat Dog

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude
Occupation
Superintendent
I had the same issue, turned out to be a wire had rubbed through somewhere on the chassis. I’ll bet your battery will start dying randomly as well, if it hasn’t already

22_Sarge_Sport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S
Picked my truck up this afternoon after 22 days. Drove 10 miles home fine. Took it out again tonight and after about 3 miles reduced power and same lights on again. Back it goes.
What was the outcome @tjd2003 ?

OP
OP

tjd2003

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator High Altitude Ecodiesel
What was the outcome @tjd2003 ?
They replaced the turbo and on the way home from the shop the same thing happened again. Started the next morning and all check engine lights were gone and it was driving fine. I’ve had it for five months now with no problems until about two weeks ago it started dripping oil onto my driveway. I’m trading it this week.

22_Sarge_Sport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S
Oh, man. That is a choppy owner experience. What's next?

OP
OP

tjd2003

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator High Altitude Ecodiesel
Oh, man. That is a choppy owner experience. What's next?
Going to a Sierra. I bought a camper last month and really needed a bigger truck anyway. The oil leak just pushed me over the edge. Got a 2022 Sierra 1500 with the diesel supposed to be in within two weeks. I enjoyed the Gladiator when it wasn’t giving me trouble, but I’m not gonna lie the Sierra is a much nicer truck. I haven’t cared for them in a while but the new interior is sweet. And it’s dropping my payment so it’s a win win.
Sponsored