First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F350 CC LB 4X4 PS, Chevy Bolt,
Occupation
General Contractor - remodeling Bathrooms and Kitchens
Made an appt with the dealer in Ontario, CA last Monday. Supposed to be at 8 am a week later for the Steering TSB and an oil change. Service writer on the phone said they would have the parts ready by then and that I could wait for it. Just called and got the guy who would be signing me in and he said that the TSB is not like a recall and that they would have to keep the JT for at least a week to diagnose it. Only if they decided that there was a problem with the steering, would they order parts for the TSB.

I followed this thread in the early days before there was 189 pages and I thought that when I finally had some time, I could just get this taken care of. Now it looks like it's going to be the same old BS about how it's within normal range - just a jeep thing! Seems like the wording of the TSB suggests that as long as their diagnostics don't pick up anything else wrong, that if the customer complains about steering wander - they should just replace the steering gear.

Is this about the same experience that everyone has been having? Can anyone offer a referral to more TSB friendly dealership?
Just a little follow up about the 2nd Jeep Dealership that I dropped my truck off with. Stopped by on Monday to discuss the tsb. Had to make an appt for the next day, so dropped it off on Tuesday at 8am. Service writer said it would depend on how fast he could get the parts - said it could be in the parts dept, local warehouse, another city or back east. Said he would let me know later in the day.

He never followed up. I called later in the day and he said he would find out and let me know. Wed he texted me at 3:40 to see if I could come down to ride with the tech, but that his tech leaves at 5. Told him I couldn't make it by 5 and that I wouldn't be able to come down until Friday morning, but that the tsb didn't say anything about test rides. I described how the steering was wandering and was tiring to keep the jeep in its lane. I explained how I have had numerous solid front axle vehicles with 4x4 and never had this kind of wandering. He said he would talk to the tech and follow up with me.

I called Thursday and the writer said that they hadn't ordered parts or done anything except road test it. He said they couldn't do anything until they verified a problem. I met with him at 11am on Friday and went for a test ride with the tech. He said he didn't notice a problem. I felt that I showed him how it wouldn't drive straight without a lot of input. He said that if I was eligible, he would do the tsb.

Waited for the tech to reference my vin number. He comes back and says that my JT is not eligible for the tsb. He said that no tsbs show up when referenced to my sale code. The service writer actually suggested that I contact Jeep Cares to try and straighten this out.

I just did a quick read of the revised tsb which is supposed to supercede REV F. Step 1 is to record the radio presets so they can be restored for the customer. Step 2 says to replace the steering gear! The tech that I rode with read me and had highlighted Step 12 (having to do with updating the EHPS after the steering gear is replaced) and ignored the tsb above that.

The Step reads as follows: "Is this vehicle a JL that was built on or before January 22, 2019?" If yes>>>proceed to Step 13 (verify or replace track bar fo the JL) If no>>>This bulletin has been completed. The tech read me this passage saying that it applies to JTs as well and my date code was after Jan 22, 2019 so obviously, my JT is ineligible for the TSB. I left my JT with them for 4 days and drove 3 hour and a half round trips in traffic for this.

Currently waiting for a return call from Jeep Cares.
Sponsored

Mouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Remodel monster - sounds like either a dumb or dishonest service department. Either way you're better off somewhere else

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
So I had a JLU back in 2018 that was HORRENDOUS.

Then I had a JT in 2019 with the aluminum steering box that was perfect from day 1.

Now I've got a JT in 2021 with the steel steering box that wandered all over the road from the day I picked it up from Gupton Motors.

I don't think the steering box has anything to do with it. I did measure my axle in 100% stock off the assembly line condition and it was not centered. It was offset 1/2 inch from the factory which I corrected with an adjustable track bar.

I've got 2,500 miles on the new JT now and every week that I drive it, the bad steering improves. I believe that new parts from assembly are wearing in over time and/or the steering stabilizer is loosening up a tad. Whatever the case, the handling is getting better with time.

RemodelMonster

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Remodel monster - sounds like either a dumb or dishonest service department. Either way you're better off somewhere else
Thanks for the sympathy! Just got off the phone with a most aggravating Jeep Cares agent. Summarize my experience to "You wanted a TSB, dealership wouldn't do it and you took your vehicle back". He couldn't understand the wording of the TSB - like the tech. Going to try another dealer.

Bama_Swampfox

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland (09-14-3pm) ; Kubota 2910 Tractor; 1964 BP-1
Occupation
Retired, thank God
I finally had the Steering "Gear" replaced yesterday per the bulletin at my local dealer. I have to say that, while it's an improvement for sure, it's no miracle cure for on-center slack in the steering. Not that I was expecting "rack and pinion" feel with the new style iron box. In retrospect, if it wasn't a warranty covered repair, I would't have paid for it myself because of the somewhat incremental improvement. Just M2Cents....

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Part just came in for me to have the TSB done. A little concerned after reading all of this. Should I go forward with the fix?
Yes. Remember, you are looking for healthy people in a hospital when on the internet. Thousands of these have no issues at all.
Forums and fakebook are places where people go to resolve problems, not tell how wonderful their truck is (with a few exceptions)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Just a little follow up about the 2nd Jeep Dealership that I dropped my truck off with. Stopped by on Monday to discuss the tsb. Had to make an appt for the next day, so dropped it off on Tuesday at 8am. Service writer said it would depend on how fast he could get the parts - said it could be in the parts dept, local warehouse, another city or back east. Said he would let me know later in the day.

He never followed up. I called later in the day and he said he would find out and let me know. Wed he texted me at 3:40 to see if I could come down to ride with the tech, but that his tech leaves at 5. Told him I couldn't make it by 5 and that I wouldn't be able to come down until Friday morning, but that the tsb didn't say anything about test rides. I described how the steering was wandering and was tiring to keep the jeep in its lane. I explained how I have had numerous solid front axle vehicles with 4x4 and never had this kind of wandering. He said he would talk to the tech and follow up with me.

I called Thursday and the writer said that they hadn't ordered parts or done anything except road test it. He said they couldn't do anything until they verified a problem. I met with him at 11am on Friday and went for a test ride with the tech. He said he didn't notice a problem. I felt that I showed him how it wouldn't drive straight without a lot of input. He said that if I was eligible, he would do the tsb.

Waited for the tech to reference my vin number. He comes back and says that my JT is not eligible for the tsb. He said that no tsbs show up when referenced to my sale code. The service writer actually suggested that I contact Jeep Cares to try and straighten this out.

I just did a quick read of the revised tsb which is supposed to supercede REV F. Step 1 is to record the radio presets so they can be restored for the customer. Step 2 says to replace the steering gear! The tech that I rode with read me and had highlighted Step 12 (having to do with updating the EHPS after the steering gear is replaced) and ignored the tsb above that.

The Step reads as follows: "Is this vehicle a JL that was built on or before January 22, 2019?" If yes>>>proceed to Step 13 (verify or replace track bar fo the JL) If no>>>This bulletin has been completed. The tech read me this passage saying that it applies to JTs as well and my date code was after Jan 22, 2019 so obviously, my JT is ineligible for the TSB. I left my JT with them for 4 days and drove 3 hour and a half round trips in traffic for this.

Currently waiting for a return call from Jeep Cares.
Please show me where in this TSB there is a specific build date for the JT?
It says 2020 model year. Why are they even looking at anything other than the JT section?
What the hell is he doing looking at the JL section. IT says "is this vehicles a JL etc. etc. - no, it is not.

I bet your dealer shop staff can't even open a child proof bottle if they are that poor at reading instructions.

Attachments

RemodelMonster

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Please show me where in this TSB there is a specific build date for the JT?
It says 2020 model year. Why are they even looking at anything other than the JT section?
What the hell is he doing looking at the JL section. IT says "is this vehicles a JL etc. etc. - no, it is not.

I bet your dealer shop staff can't even open a child proof bottle if they are that poor at reading instructions.
Exactly! So, I never got a return call from the 1st case manager after leaving about 6 messages all week. Accepted the offer for the next available case manager who seemed impatient with my complaint - basically said something like, "Well it looks like you wanted the TSB, they wouldn't do it so you took your truck back, what do you want?"

When he read the TSB, he read it the same way as the tech - that step 12, "Is this a JL before build date x? If yes, then go to step 13 and replace the steering track bar / If no, then the TSB is complete" says my 2020 JT is ineligible for the TSB!

Finally got through to another case manager that set me up with a service appt to try again. She sounded like she could only do so much because each dealership is independently owned and that it is up to the techs and service Dept to determine eligibility. We'll see how this goes.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly! So, I never got a return call from the 1st case manager after leaving about 6 messages all week. Accepted the offer for the next available case manager who seemed impatient with my complaint - basically said something like, "Well it looks like you wanted the TSB, they wouldn't do it so you took your truck back, what do you want?"

When he read the TSB, he read it the same way as the tech - that step 12, "Is this a JL before build date x? If yes, then go to step 13 and replace the steering track bar / If no, then the TSB is complete" says my 2020 JT is ineligible for the TSB!

Finally got through to another case manager that set me up with a service appt to try again. She sounded like she could only do so much because each dealership is independently owned and that it is up to the techs and service Dept to determine eligibility. We'll see how this goes.
They'd never successfully get through a large troubleshooting chart!
They need to ignore ALL sections that mention JL - totally ignore. Concentrate only on JT - these people act like they failed 4th grade reading classes. Reading comprehension is way beyond them.

Sponsored

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
So I had a JLU back in 2018 that was HORRENDOUS.

Then I had a JT in 2019 with the aluminum steering box that was perfect from day 1.

Now I've got a JT in 2021 with the steel steering box that wandered all over the road from the day I picked it up from Gupton Motors.

I don't think the steering box has anything to do with it. I did measure my axle in 100% stock off the assembly line condition and it was not centered. It was offset 1/2 inch from the factory which I corrected with an adjustable track bar.

I've got 2,500 miles on the new JT now and
every week that I drive it, the bad steering improves. I believe that new parts from assembly are wearing in over time and/or the steering stabilizer is loosening up a tad. Whatever the case, the handling is getting better with time.
OR, with time you are getting used to how its driving.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
OR, with time you are getting used to how its driving.
No, there is a noticeable reduction in 10 'o clock to 2 'o clock correction to keep the Jeep going straight down the road.

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
No, there is a noticeable reduction in 10 'o clock to 2 'o clock correction to keep the Jeep going straight down the road.
On mine, I think that after the tires wore in to match the camber, things improved. It was intolerable on the drive home on a two lane highway. I about turned back to return it. After a couple thousand miles, it was not so bad. Later, the tire wear showed it was wearing the inside tread a lot more.

I had a Ram truck that got a littler twitchy after every tire rotation, but improved after a 1000 miles or so.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
On mine, I think that after the tires wore in to match the camber, things improved. It was intolerable on the drive home on a two lane highway. I about turned back to return it. After a couple thousand miles, it was not so bad. Later, the tire wear showed it was wearing the inside tread a lot more.

I had a Ram truck that got a littler twitchy after every tire rotation, but improved after a 1000 miles or so.
Something else I've noticed is that the caster is set too aggressive from the factory on these also. If you lift the front 2 inches or so it actually makes an improvement to handling and steering. Kind of makes me wonder if they set them that way from the factory because they know so many people modify them. Hmm...

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
Sounds great. I'm waiting on some 4mm hex bits so i can try to adjust mine AB again, as i snapped both of my Craftsman bits.
Update:
I finally had a chance to adjusted mine box today and it's a success. It's tighter, steering wheel re-center it self after turns and no more of that boat feeling on the highway. It's now track straight without constantly adjusting the wheel.

Note, mine 2021 w/AB box had approx. 1.5 inch play (top of steering wheel) since the day i picked it up and had not changed after 3k miles.

Set screw took little over a 1/4 turn to bottoming out from factory setting. I then back it out 1/8, so a little over 1/8 turn in total.
Sponsored