Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKURX & 2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
I have my 2020 JTR for 2 weeks now, my son has his 2020 JT Sport for a month.
We both have the revision AE steering box, I checked.
We both checked and set tire pressures to 37 psi, and then went for a test drive.
His JT Sport drives very nice, no issues at all.
My JTR struggles to maintain lane alignment.
My JTR issue is more of the steering appearing to be too tight in that once you turn the wheel to make a lane adjustment the steering does not appear to be auto-centering... at 70 mph this makes it seem like you are having to overcorrect after an adjustment is made.

My son did also notice the difference and said "WTF?"
Sponsored

Drvn

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 2020
Walked in to Greenway yesterday talked to the service manager, he said you've been waiting for this, walked to the parts counter ordered the parts, said everything will be here Monday, they are doing the 14 day order spread,

Drop it Monday afternoon and we'll see, glad FCA manned up to fix this problem,
Keep us all updated on how it drives after install!

Drvn

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 2020
I have been in to have this looked at four times since I bought it, two with @JeepCares cases, and got completely stonewalled with a list of modifications causing the problem (track bar brace, track bar, steering stabilizer, lift, tires) on my last trip. One email with this TSB and parts are ordered - no questions asked. For all the pushback I got up until now, props to the Service Manager for making this part easy.
I am in a similar position as you with numerous mods most of which are aftermarket attempts to correct the steering problems. Please keep us updated as to how your install goes!

one2doo

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT White Rubicon ,2018 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins,2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins, Mahindra Roxor,2018 .
Called service manager Friday parts ordered.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
We both checked and set tire pressures to 37 psi, and then went for a test drive.
My JTR issue is more of the steering appearing to be too tight in that once you turn the wheel to make a lane adjustment the steering does not appear to be auto-centering... at 70 mph this makes it seem like you are having to overcorrect after an adjustment is made.

"Centering" is a function of the SAI (steering axis inclination - non-changable, period) and CASTER (can be changed with different control arms on a Jeep but the side to side difference cannot be changed)
If the steering sector over-center preload is too tight, you will feel it while trying to turn. The center position will feel stiff or tight.
If it won't center after a turn, they need to check the caster. IF it's wrong, they'll have to change parts out.
If the steering sector is set wrong -if the dealer follows protocol, they'll change the sector.

Sponsored

Onebigyoshi

First Name
Haruyoshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Sting grey M/T. Prius...

If you don't plan on adding a lift kit with adjustable control arms anytime soon, a budget friendly option is to install Mopar LCAs. One possibility for the driving difference between your JTR and son's Sport is the fact that they both use the same LCAs even though your JTR has more lift than the Sport. So your Caster is pretty low. Mopar LCAs are quarter inch longer than stock. After I did the install my JTR tracked much straighter and my steering wheel got snappier when returning back to the center. Also, check your Toe as well, mine was way off from the factory

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S.
My steering wheel almost recenters after turning. I have to help it a bit because it stops a few inches short. I less than 1 inch of play in the steering wheel. But when its over 90 degrees outside it feels worse.

mghoodlum

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Pearl Blue Rubicon on order
A local dealer has ordered my parts and said he would call me next week when they get in to schedule an appointment. I'll keep you guys updated of progress. Mine wandered pretty bad before Fox Steering stabilizer and lift. After each of those it improved significantly. I have had my sector shaft brace on order for about 6 weeks but still waiting. I'm hoping I can just cancel that order afterwards. I hope to understand more about how the steering box has been re-engineered though to understand if the brace would still be beneficial.

GeneLV

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Called service manager Friday parts ordered.
Took mine in Saturday for the rear axle locker problem and steering. Axle is ordered but he said that he is not allowed to order the steering until 21 and 28 Aug.

MMMII

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR - 2017 BMW X5
Occupation
Redfin - Real Estate Consultant
Took mine in Saturday for the rear axle locker problem and steering. Axle is ordered but he said that he is not allowed to order the steering until 21 and 28 Aug.
What dealership did you go to?

Sponsored

GeneLV

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
What dealership did you go to?
Chapman in Las Vegas
Service advisor made it sound like a restriction that Jeep put on ordering the parts.

Last edited:

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I guess this came out at the last possible second for me. I was going to install my lift this weekend. I called my dealer to ask about the TSB and if lift/tires was going to be an issue. Of course, you can't actually speak to a service advisor, just the receptionist who only knows how to book an appointment. Had to explain to her it wasn't the physical steering wheel that was loose. She put me on hold and went to ask if the lift kit would be an issue. Came back and said it was better that I hold off installing it. Annoying. So I set an appointment for this coming Tuesday. We'll see how it goes.

I may go ahead and put my stock tires back on this weekend and remove my Tazer. If they update the software, I'm not sure if that would cause any problems with the Tazer programming.
Highly recommend removing a Tazer whenever it goes to the dealer. They plug it in every time to see if any updates needed, etc.

Scruf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 1997 TJ, 2017 Honda CRF250L
Occupation
Automotive Product Quality Engineer
Highly recommend removing a Tazer whenever it goes to the dealer. They plug it in every time to see if any updates needed, etc.

Agree. And honestly it's not hard. So sad to see the truck back on the stock tires though, haha.

LoJac963

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
A local dealer has ordered my parts and said he would call me next week when they get in to schedule an appointment. I'll keep you guys updated of progress. Mine wandered pretty bad before Fox Steering stabilizer and lift. After each of those it improved significantly. I have had my sector shaft brace on order for about 6 weeks but still waiting. I'm hoping I can just cancel that order afterwards. I hope to understand more about how the steering box has been re-engineered though to understand if the brace would still be beneficial.
What lift is it? If Mopar did they install? Do you anticipate any issues having the work done with the lift?

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
To anyone who is saying their steering issues aren't bad and that you're going to wait for people who need it more, good on you, but go have the flash done! The flash should just take a little bit of time and doesn't take real resources away from others. Drive on it for a while to see if that fixes your issues or at least makes them better until you determine you want the parts.
Sponsored