Notchy Steering After TSB 08-074-20

oknation

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
NEWEST UPDATE: I went and picked up my 2020 Jeep Gladiator (Gobi) today and I'm extremely happy to report that it drives GREAT now!

THE FIX (verbatim from invoice) AIR POCKET IN STEERING SYSTEM, REBLED SYSTEM, ALL OK AT THIS TIME.

That's it. I drove it on city streets and the interstate going about 70 mph and I didn't experience the notchy feel and I don't have that gurgling/bubbly fluid noise coming from in front of me any more.

So, if you're having a problem like this after the TSB steering box replacement, then this might be the cure. It drives like a dream now!
Sponsored

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
NEWEST UPDATE: I went and picked up my 2020 Jeep Gladiator (Gobi) today and I'm extremely happy to report that it drives GREAT now!

THE FIX (verbatim from invoice) AIR POCKET IN STEERING SYSTEM, REBLED SYSTEM, ALL OK AT THIS TIME.

That's it. I drove it on city streets and the interstate going about 70 mph and I didn't experience the notchy feel and I don't have that gurgling/bubbly fluid noise coming from in front of me any more.

So, if you're having a problem like this after the TSB steering box replacement, then this might be the cure. It drives like a dream now!
Good news! Glad they found the reason why....and fixed it.

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
Any idea how u bled it. I had a buddy bleed mine. 25 wheel turns up on jack with car off. 25 turns while car on.

I can’t imagine it needs to be bled more after this but. Doing this did not solve my problem

Last edited:

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
These PS are self-bleeding, typically through use. However, the more lock to lock cycles the better to get the air out.

RealMcCoy

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT
Occupation
Retired
I also smelled an unusual odor coming from the vents. I'm not sure what it was but it kind of smelled like something was hot. ..
Is there any break-in period on the replacement? Smell like you speak about to happen like on new engine parts like mufflers and the like. Just a thought....

Sponsored

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
These PS are self-bleeding, typically through use. However, the more lock to lock cycles the better to get the air out.
Thats what I figured, but at the same time figured it couldnt hurt as long as tires were jacked up.

oknation

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Any idea how u bled it. I had a buddy bleed mine. 25 wheel turns up on jack with car off. 25 turns while car on.

I can’t imagine it needs to be bled more after this but. Doing this did not solve my problem
I don't know how the technician bled the air out .

OP
OP

akneppers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
So had it back to the dealer for the 4th time and what was originally a noted issue has now been classified as being a "Normal Characteristic of the Vehicle". Had the executive team and the Area Service Manager look at it and said they tested 2 and had the same problem so its a "Normal Characteristic".

I jumped in a 2021 Rubicon with the new gearbox and it was completely smooth. But its their word over mine.

The executive team has said that hopefully more people with this issue go in and try to get it fixed that it flags FCA to take action.

Has anyone else had better luck?

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2

Sometimes it helps to apply vacuum to the resivoir when turning lock to lock. a Mightyvac and tapered adapter is all you need.

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
Already did it with a vacuum. Didn’t change anything. At all ugh

Sponsored

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Already did it with a vacuum. Didn’t change anything. At all ugh

Put 20 to 25 in/vac on it for 3 minutes with the vehicle off. Release the vacuum and top off if necessary. Start it and go lock to lock 3 times. That should take of trapped air. You can repeat 2 or 3 times if necessary.

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
Put 20 to 25 in/vac on it for 3 minutes with the vehicle off. Release the vacuum and top off if necessary. Start it and go lock to lock 3 times. That should take of trapped air. You can repeat 2 or 3 times if necessary.

I'll do it again if you feel it can make a change. What my guy did was put vac on it. Wait a few minutes. Turn side to side with vac on and car on......turned car off. Did side to side for a few minutes with car off and vac on.
Did this with front of car jacked up.

Also most people say these are self bleeding systems. But then again what do I know. lol

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll do it again if you feel it can make a change. What my guy did was put vac on it. Wait a few minutes. Turn side to side with vac on and car on......turned car off. Did side to side for a few minutes with car off and vac on.
Did this with front of car jacked up.

Also most people say these are self bleeding systems. But then again what do I know. lol
It might change, it might not but it can't hurt. If it's an air issue it's possible this will help.

OP
OP

akneppers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Well keep me update if this works. I tried bleeding it with the cap off and turning it side to side slowly and fast from lock to lock with no luck.