Slapping_Rabbits

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
Maybe not your style but what about finding a small camper used for cheap gut it and turn it into an offroad pull behind beast? I've redone several campers Including flood damaged ones. It's pretty easy if you know your way around simple tools and it makes for a fun project. Best of all you get to build it the way you want and you know it will be done right
That's totally my style! I did that with a shed I turned into a woodworking/man cave. It's fun and requires a lot of time. Had a kid and promotion at work and now I have no freetime. Hopefully that changes in a few years.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Slapping_Rabbits

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Funny you should ask...
We are leaving Tuesday for a couple of weeks in Colorado and taking my 30 yo son and his wife with us. They are both 6 ft. tall and we will be towing an expedition trailer with a Roofnest RTT on it for them to sleep in. Both couples will have a queen size bed!

I have heard of many people with small kids either have them sleep on the couch and/or put an inflatable mattress in the “hallway” for the kids to sleep. Of course when they’re older they can just sleep outside in a tent. We did that with my younger sons and pitched the tent under the awning because it was raining but they stayed nice and dry...

F02D2291-C501-42E2-B9BA-9CA5F2DABD8A.jpeg
That combo setup seems pretty ideal. I don't like the tent on the ground idea. Too many times in Oregon I'd wake up with the tent in a small lake. Although if you put a cot down or tie up a hammock that could work. Ive hammock camped a few times. It's pretty fun.

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
That's totally my style! I did that with a shed I turned into a woodworking/man cave. It's fun and requires a lot of time. Had a kid and promotion at work and now I have no freetime. Hopefully that changes in a few years.
Having no free time with so many ideas of build projects swirling in your head sucks so bad I know your pain!

OP
OP
Slapping_Rabbits

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Having no free time with so many ideas of build projects swirling in your head sucks so bad I know your pain!
Yep. It's really a downer for me. That's why I'm getting the gladiator and a camper. If I stay at home I go stir crazy. I'll just pack up and leave every weekend. I actually plan on doing this year round. Part of my hesitation with the pop ups is cold weather.

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
Yep. It's really a downer for me. That's why I'm getting the gladiator and a camper. If I stay at home I go stir crazy. I'll just pack up and leave every weekend. I actually plan on doing this year round. Part of my hesitation with the pop ups is cold weather.
If your worried about cold weather I'd definitely find a hard sided camper for propaine heat. I'm stuck at work usually u days a week at the moment. One day that too would be my dream

Sponsored

OP
OP
Slapping_Rabbits

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If your worried about cold weather I'd definitely find a hard sided camper for propaine heat. I'm stuck at work usually u days a week at the moment. One day that too would be my dream
Agreed. Being able to heat and cool it would be nice

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Interested to read what everyone likes & uses!!

I'm doing a period correct resto on a 64 JT SJ, as much as possible. Fairly certain going with a camper shell rather than a tow. There's an old vintage tear drop tow behind where I park often, so tugging at me to go ask what they want for it. Thing is, I haven't camped in forever, so my memory is just prep by throwing stuff in the camper shell and you are good to go.

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
Interested to read what everyone likes & uses!!

I'm doing a period correct resto on a 64 JT SJ, as much as possible. Fairly certain going with a camper shell rather than a tow. There's an old vintage tear drop tow behind where I park often, so tugging at me to go ask what they want for it. Thing is, I haven't camped in forever, so my memory is just prep by throwing stuff in the camper shell and you are good to go.
Less is more, throw the bare minimum and go for a day or two. Then when you're there and think to yourself "I really wish I had X right now" write it down and bring it next time. Anything you didn't use, remove. Then do a longer trip and see what happens. After doing that 2 or 3 times, you'll have what you need and won't have what you don't.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Slapping_Rabbits

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's not as easy as it might sound.

CaptStarboard

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brisbanejeepclub.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Wrangler
have you checked out patriot campers
It's fun to see how things change from USA to Australia. Just wanted to show a different camping trailer style coming out of Australia.

I grew up in California and tent camped growing up out of a Ford Bronco towing a WWII jeep trailer to haul all the gear! Did the backpacking phase as well!

Once I got over to Australia, we got our Jeep Cherokee (Liberty) and started to look for an seriously capable off-road camp trailer. One main consideration was having all beds for us and young children in the same plane (ie not putting the very young kids in an Annex or outside the same area we sleep in. This quickly dropped down the number of prospects, including knocking the Patriot Camper out of the mix. Patriot Campers are a sweet rig, but damned pricey new!

We settled on a CampRite trailer, used at a bit under half of it's new price - so roughly $20k. The trailer has fully independent suspension (duel coil springs and Rancho shocks on a D frame holding a 2T Toyota axel stub), weighs 0.8 ton and will carry 1.3 tons, full articulating poly block Treg hitch, LT275/70R16 AT tires, twin LPG tank storage and 4 jerry can holders. Length 4.3m, width 1.9m, and Height 1.65m (L -14.1', W - 6.23', H - 5.41') Electric 12" brakes, 140ah AMG battery, 120L water in two tanks, enough ground clearance that I slide my mower straight under it to store :). The tailgate is a full kitchen box that pivots open with a slide out table and drop down prep area. The tent is heavy canvas (12oz) that erects in about 5-10 minutes for a massive height and living area with full queen bed that slides forward over the hitch and two king singles with bunk beds over them (that we put bags and such on) that clam shell open from the hard roof of the camper when closed. All and all it is a great family off road camper that will go anywhere a Jeep can drag it.

IMG_5652.JPG
IMG_5666.JPG
IMG_5681.JPG
IMG_5679.JPG
IMG_2564 2.JPG

OP
OP
Slapping_Rabbits

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's fun to see how things change from USA to Australia. Just wanted to show a different camping trailer style coming out of Australia.

I grew up in California and tent camped growing up out of a Ford Bronco towing a WWII jeep trailer to haul all the gear! Did the backpacking phase as well!

Once I got over to Australia, we got our Jeep Cherokee (Liberty) and started to look for an seriously capable off-road camp trailer. One main consideration was having all beds for us and young children in the same plane (ie not putting the very young kids in an Annex or outside the same area we sleep in. This quickly dropped down the number of prospects, including knocking the Patriot Camper out of the mix. Patriot Campers are a sweet rig, but damned pricey new!

We settled on a CampRite trailer, used at a bit under half of it's new price - so roughly $20k. The trailer has fully independent suspension (duel coil springs and Rancho shocks on a D frame holding a 2T Toyota axel stub), weighs 0.8 ton and will carry 1.3 tons, full articulating poly block Treg hitch, LT275/70R16 AT tires, twin LPG tank storage and 4 jerry can holders. Length 4.3m, width 1.9m, and Height 1.65m (L -14.1', W - 6.23', H - 5.41') Electric 12" brakes, 140ah AMG battery, 120L water in two tanks, enough ground clearance that I slide my mower straight under it to store :). The tailgate is a full kitchen box that pivots open with a slide out table and drop down prep area. The tent is heavy canvas (12oz) that erects in about 5-10 minutes for a massive height and living area with full queen bed that slides forward over the hitch and two king singles with bunk beds over them (that we put bags and such on) that clam shell open from the hard roof of the camper when closed. All and all it is a great family off road camper that will go anywhere a Jeep can drag it.

IMG_5652.JPG
IMG_5666.JPG
IMG_5681.JPG
IMG_5679.JPG
IMG_2564 2.JPG
Wow that really blows up into a lot of sleeping space! See that is the what we are missing here in the US. I've been looking a lot and most of the options are for 2 people. Kids are just an afterthought. Like having to make the dining area into a bed for kids sort of thing. If want something that will sleep more, good luck, its going to cost you. Or that most hardshell rtt are for 2 people or if not, they are exceedingly expensive. I do like the patriot campers and the bruder ones especially, but I'm not taking out a second mortgage for one. I really like the vans, but again, they are marked up 40% here in the US vs Europe and thus cost as much as a house. I'm glad you found something like this that seems to have just about everything. Although I wonder if you've had any issues with the soft vs hard in Australia? Maybe dingo or roo attacks?

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubi Diesel. Toyota 4Runner
Here are the only real options IMHO.

No particular order:

Standard hardcore Offroad trailers, I think all are aluminum, know at Keats one has a galvanized frame. All long term investments, prices and option vary all the way up almost $60k.

Turltleback Trailers
Patriot Campers X2; X1; X1H
Adventure Trailers

As far as teardrop I have seen a couple. Best to look at the videos and reviews that came out of Overland Expo West 2019. I have researched it far and wide for years now. Although I was leaning towards the Turtleback style for a long time. In the last year along its the availability in the US along with support I am looking to go the Patriot Camper X1H Option.

There are some other options out there. Mainly, how are you going to use it? What type of trips, length, amount of people, length of stays, rough camp, or up to full kitchen onboard water solar, lights, tent heater hot shower etc? I myself am going to have to finance one as I am medically retired from the service. But even so still less than my current boat payment is with a decent term limit like 72-84 months. I do not plan on turning it over and should keep its value very well, their are even more basic builds out there but AT has one called the chaser and about as basic as one can get. Also think that some change yearly and even though they do there are things that cannot be upgraded. So if you like a newer feature depending on hat it is you may be stuck with what you have or sell and buy a new one.

What I look for. Type of construction? Materials use, layout and use of items, positive pressure.. Suspension? Galvanized frame? Support? Ease of maintenance, design though, build quality, customer reviews, I prefer all wiring Nd systems to be hidden, except easy accessibility to fuses and such. Options, management systems prefer the redarc manager 30 and tvms. Options like solar, lithium batteries, good kitchen layout, tent heater, water heater, water storage, , etc.. I prefer the cruisemaster do35 hitch coupling. Ease of setup, time to setup, ability to handle bad weather....

Happy to assist if air can if you just want to through ideas off of me of what you are looking for and may be able to point you in the right direction. I have seen many different trailers reviewed or in person. They all have their plus and minus. But mainly you’ll be looking at either Australian or South African trailers, and a slight few of American made.
Sponsored