Sponsored

Official 2020+ EcoDiesel Oil Recommendations

GladiatorPilot23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon Eco-Diesel
Do you follow the science or ignore it and act on unwarranted fear? Do what makes you feel warm, fuzzy, and safe inside!
Appsolutely the science. I look at wear reports like yours and look for a better product to try and test to reduce wear metals. I do whatever needs to be done to reach that objective.
Sponsored

GladiatorPilot23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Both (1 and 2 here) are Amsoil. The two first were Mopar not visible on here, I did have the analysis done through Blackstone labs and now switched to Horizon. I did a very early change at 2.5k after purchase I think the 7.5k and so on
How did Mag and Boron change so much? It looks like a different oil? Was it 2 different types of Amsoil?

ParatusExpeditions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
How did Mag and Boron change so much? It looks like a different oil? Was it 2 different types of Amsoil?
I'm not sure, maybe slightly contaminated at collection since I got it from the collection pan and not while it was flowing down. But if anything I would have expected more (Boron & Magnesium), not less. So I don't think that's it.

Bellow are the first 3 oil changes that I done on Black stone Lab. The first column is sample 3 on blackstone is sample 1 one Amsoil so the numbers are close and match. Magnesium has been building up, maybe due to engine breaking in? I don't think there are much data out there for us to read an oil report with certitude because numbers can come from many different scenarios, neither we know the alloy composition of all parts in this engine so it's all about guessing game. They did not flag it either.

It's unfortunate the Horizon/Amsoil report does not show the average for a particular unit (JTRD).

Jeep Gladiator Official 2020+ EcoDiesel Oil Recommendations 1703642727750

Last edited:

GladiatorPilot23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I enjoy watching this channel. He does wear tests.

Amsoil Signature Series 0W40 heated to 212F - 0.165mm wear scare

Redline Oil 5W40 heated to 212F - 0.075mm wear scare

Redline left half the wear scare over amsoil.

Eventually will try both brands to see what the lab work shows.

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)
Just sent in an oil sample for the Amsoil FS. Running the Hot Shot's Secret 5W-40 and Stiction Eliminator now, will do a sample analysis of that when it's time to change again.
Really curious how their oil does seeing as they have good fuel additives.

Sponsored

NMH_94

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Wrangler Willys EcoDiesel
Really curious how their oil does seeing as they have good fuel additives.
Just got results back for the Amsoil 5W-40 FS Euro. Roughly 21k on the Jeep and 4k on this oil interval. I'm not the best at interpreting these things, but it looks like the Amsoil FS performed pretty solid. Granted, it was only a 4k oil change interval, but with mixed driving of highways and stop-and-go. Will post the Hot Shots Secret 5W-40 MS Euro + Stiction Eliminator results at the next oil change.

Jeep Gladiator Official 2020+ EcoDiesel Oil Recommendations 1705029469331-726ecdee-ccbd-491b-bcd4-a8d5016dde95_1
Jeep Gladiator Official 2020+ EcoDiesel Oil Recommendations 1705029469331-726ecdee-ccbd-491b-bcd4-a8d5016dde95_2

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Just got results back for the Amsoil 5W-40 FS Euro. Roughly 21k on the Jeep and 4k on this oil interval. I'm not the best at interpreting these things, but it looks like the Amsoil FS performed pretty solid. Granted, it was only a 4k oil change interval, but with mixed driving of highways and stop-and-go. Will post the Hot Shots Secret 5W-40 MS Euro + Stiction Eliminator results at the next oil change.

Jeep Gladiator Official 2020+ EcoDiesel Oil Recommendations 1705029469331-726ecdee-ccbd-491b-bcd4-a8d5016dde95_2
Looks like that oil would easily make it 9-10k miles.

NMH_94

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Definitely can go longer than what I put it through here. 9-10k might be possible with a ton of highway miles, but I personally wouldn't push it that far. From what I understand from other posted oil analysis results, the EcoDiesel tends to change the oil viscosity to 5W-30 after approximately 6.5k - 7.5k miles or so, depending on the driving habits of the owner. I tend to be more conservative, and since I'm keeping mine for the long haul, I'm doing 5k oil changes going forward.

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker

Is this just to explore new oils? Or is there a reason to not stick with approved MS12991?
https://www.hotshotsecret.com/gray-diamond-euro-oil/

I will not argue that MB229.51 is “likely” a higher standard…. Hot shots is an api SM oil vs something like pennzoil platinum euro is an SN and meets the requirements for 12991.

NMH_94

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is this just to explore new oils? Or is there a reason to not stick with approved MS12991?
https://www.hotshotsecret.com/gray-diamond-euro-oil/

I will not argue that MB229.51 is “likely” a higher standard…. Hot shots is an api SM oil vs something like pennzoil platinum euro is an SN and meets the requirements for 12991.
biodiesel and other posters on various threads looking at oil analysis results for the 3rd Gen EcoDiesel started to notice that Amsoil's Mid-SAPS oil consistently outperformed its Full-SAPS oil and the Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 (which is also a full-SAPS oil), even though Full-SAPS is the one Amsoil recommends per Chrysler's MS-12991 specification (which Pennzoil meets). I want to see if Hot Shot's Secret Mid-SAPS oil outperforms the "recommended" full-SAPS oils as well. I've had great results with their fuel additives and am under the impression the FR3 nano-lubricant they put in their oil is a state-of-the-art anti-wear additive. If it does protect against oxidation and reduce wear metals better than the recommended full-SAPS oils, then that's obviously great in itself. But another added bonus is that it would protect the longevity of the DPF better too, since mid-SAPS oils are superior to full-SAPS on that front. I don't blame anybody for following the manufacturer's recommendations as a precaution against having the warranty voided. Makes complete sense. I happen to be a lawyer, however, and am not too concerned about taking a dealership or FCA to task if they try to play warranty games based on the oil I'm running. But that's just a personal choice, wouldn't necessarily recommend it to anyone else.

Sponsored

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
biodiesel and other posters on various threads looking at oil analysis results for the 3rd Gen EcoDiesel started to notice that Amsoil's Mid-SAPS oil consistently outperformed its Full-SAPS oil and the Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 (which is also a full-SAPS oil), even though Full-SAPS is the one Amsoil recommends per Chrysler's MS-12991 specification (which Pennzoil meets). I want to see if Hot Shot's Secret Mid-SAPS oil outperforms the "recommended" full-SAPS oils as well. I've had great results with their fuel additives and am under the impression the FR3 nano-lubricant they put in their oil is a state-of-the-art anti-wear additive. If it does protect against oxidation and reduce wear metals better than the recommended full-SAPS oils, then that's obviously great in itself. But another added bonus is that it would protect the longevity of the DPF better too, since mid-SAPS oils are superior to full-SAPS on that front. I don't blame anybody for following the manufacturer's recommendations as a precaution against having the warranty voided. Makes complete sense. I happen to be a lawyer, however, and am not too concerned about taking a dealership or FCA to task if they try to play warranty games based on the oil I'm running. But that's just a personal choice, wouldn't necessarily recommend it to anyone else.
Well, between your post and a YouTube search to the always favorite Project Farm

I feel satisfied that you are onto something 🍺🤣😂
Spent $35 on worse things.
Hot Shot's Secret HSSFR332Z FR3 Friction Reducer 32 Fluid Ounce https://a.co/d/3LkM2OF

NMH_94

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, between your post and a YouTube search to the always favorite Project Farm

I feel satisfied that you are onto something 🍺🤣😂
Spent $35 on worse things.
Hot Shot's Secret HSSFR332Z FR3 Friction Reducer 32 Fluid Ounce https://a.co/d/3LkM2OF
I certainly hope so! Big fan of Project Farm too. One thing I'm hopeful about with the HSS 5W-40 Gray Diamond Euro is the fact that it comes with FR3 already added into it. I'm curious if the HSS oil is optimally "designed" for the FR3 as an additive, so to speak, as compared to another brand oil with a different additive package that may not optimize FR3 when it's added in after the fact. Could likely be just a bro-science intuition though. Time will tell 🤷‍♂️

GladiatorPilot23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Definitely can go longer than what I put it through here. 9-10k might be possible with a ton of highway miles, but I personally wouldn't push it that far. From what I understand from other posted oil analysis results, the EcoDiesel tends to change the oil viscosity to 5W-30 after approximately 6.5k - 7.5k miles or so, depending on the driving habits of the owner. I tend to be more conservative, and since I'm keeping mine for the long haul, I'm doing 5k oil changes going forward.

I believe the issue is fuel dissolution for the shearing and extra wear once the miles stack up. You don't know unless you do lab work with a good lab. I was afraid of it and wanted to do my changes at 4k but I also read that the ZDDP or addpack get embedded with time and when changed, the degertancgents will stip them some but then your battle the fuel dissolution so you have to be careful so I agree on the 5k miles being a good safe number.

GladiatorPilot23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 shows as a API-SP Oil? I wonder if SPs are considered Full-SAPS? The SP redeces timing chain wear and for preignitions in GDI

GladiatorPilot23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I certainly hope so! Big fan of Project Farm too. One thing I'm hopeful about with the HSS 5W-40 Gray Diamond Euro is the fact that it comes with FR3 already added into it. I'm curious if the HSS oil is optimally "designed" for the FR3 as an additive, so to speak, as compared to another brand oil with a different additive package that may not optimize FR3 when it's added in after the fact. Could likely be just a bro-science intuition though. Time will tell 🤷‍♂️

The VOA in FR3 didn't have a lot of detergents if they were using chlorine in it lol like what Ohiotech was thinking in that UOA that was posted??
Sponsored