Official Reveal of Electric Jeeps.

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
I agree. While I like the principled stand of "I'll buy when it's fully electric" I also think that's just not practical for a vehicle designed to be taken out in the woods, through streams, and basically as far from a charging station as you could imagine.

I also think 25 miles seems low but then again I don't know what the current industry standard for hybrids actually is. If that's what others are making and selling then I can see why they went there.
Sponsored

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
I plan on taking the JT to Rubicon in 2022, with possibly the TJ in tow. After that trip we will replace my wife's Prius with the Wrangler 4Xe (too much $ to spend getting Truck and possibly TJ ready for Rubicon). I really do like the concept, and 30 mile range on full electric will suit her needs for 90% of her driving.

TheGreatCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave Previous: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2013 Ford Escape
You may be waiting a long time. I am guessing the weight of the batteries required for that made for too many compromises on off-road abilities. I would be interested in the off-road chops of the new Hummer when it comes out.

For me I would rather have the hybrid than a full electric. I have not seen a lot of charging stations out in the sticks yet. 20 miles of range would get me thru most of my daily commute and still have great range and flexibility if I want to go on a trip. Plugin electric makes a certain amount of sense for road driving around populated areas but I don't think it will be great trail option yet.
Yeah, I don't expect to see one any time soon. The 25 miles just feels like a token attempt at hybrid. I would consider one the runs more like the Volt but with something in the area of 100-150 miles of range on pure battery.

I agree. While I like the principled stand of "I'll buy when it's fully electric" I also think that's just not practical for a vehicle designed to be taken out in the woods, through streams, and basically as far from a charging station as you could imagine.

I also think 25 miles seems low but then again I don't know what the current industry standard for hybrids actually is. If that's what others are making and selling then I can see why they went there.
I think we're overlooking a lot of potential gains available in a fully electric off-road vehicle. Especially one with dual motors or even hub motors. Imagine being able to control each wheel individually and what that can do for rock crawling. While you do add a lot of battery weight, you remove fuel, engine mass, and drive train mass. You also move the center of gravity way down in the vehicle. Which can add a lot to stability.

The battery packs themselves can be made waterproof, as they generate enough heat that they need active cooling anyway. The motors can also be made waterproof.

IMHO, a fully electric off-road vehicle presents a lot of advantages over an internal combustion version.

Cadpat7

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR Hard Rock 2016
Occupation
CDN ARMY

25-31 miles for an PHEV SUV is average. For the Wrangler 4Xe, It is annouced up to 31 miles range. The only other ones out there are the Mitsubishi Outlander (20 miles), the Toyota Rav4 Prime (40 miles claimed), and the Ford Escape (mid-30s). But none of these 3 got the Wrangler 4x4 capabilities

Cadpat7

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR Hard Rock 2016
Occupation
CDN ARMY
Yeah, I don't expect to see one any time soon. The 25 miles just feels like a token attempt at hybrid. I would consider one the runs more like the Volt but with something in the area of 100-150 miles of range on pure battery.
Can compare oranges to apples.... I would like to beat the hell out of a Chevy Volt in Moab ;) Or use the Volt as an RTI ramp for the Wrangler :)

25-30 miles is right in the ballpark compared to other PHEV, or other hybrids, none of them being fully convertible, fully off-road capable 4x4 and having a GVWR over 6000lbs.

You also need to look at the estimated MPG, When was the last you've seen a Wrangler on 33" doing 50MPG ? Or having more than 500 miles range on one single tank ?

Sponsored

TheGreatCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave Previous: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2013 Ford Escape
Can compare oranges to apples.... I would like to beat the hell out of a Chevy Volt in Moab ;) Or use the Volt as an RTI ramp for the Wrangler :)
I was comparing the way the drivetrain functions in that the internal combustion engine of the Volt functions primarily as a generator instead of primarily driving the wheels.

25-30 miles is right in the ballpark compared to other PHEV, or other hybrids, none of them being fully convertible, fully off-road capable 4x4 and having a GVWR over 6000lbs.
I'm not saying it isn't better than nothing. I'm saying I expect Jeep to be able to achieve more. They're Jeep, not Acura.

You also need to look at the estimated MPG, When was the last you've seen a Wrangler on 33" doing 50MPG ? Or having more than 500 miles range on one single tank ?
It's 50 MPGe, that's an equivalence metric when using electric motors. It doesn't mean that the vehicle gets 50 MPG over the life of the tank of gas. So while running under electric power, it'll get 50 MPGe, when the battery dies, you get whatever the internal combustion engine can manage, which is like 22 gas/28 diesel on the highway.

OP
OP
DreamedofaJeepSomeday

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
25-31 miles for an PHEV SUV is average. For the Wrangler 4Xe, It is annouced up to 31 miles range.
I dare say that range works for 95% of drivers just wanting to run errands electric only.

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
Ok that makes sense then. If that's what the market is expecting than there is no huge advantage to outdo them when you do indeed have the 4x4 capability that the others lack.

I think hub motors would be cool I just thought it would be impractical given how far you'd have to drive just to get there, and the possible need to charge up before returning. I'm sure that things can and will change based on demand. If there's electricity near a trail head then it's not impossible to have a charging station there too.

Matt84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
The first gen Volt got 35 miles electric range, 2nd gen bumped up to 53 miles and it only weighed 3500 lbs In addition to not have the Wranglers capability. I think your expectations are unrealistic. The 4xe range is perfectly in line with the rest of the plug in hybrid suv sector. If you want full electric, wait to see what Tesla’s Cybertruck does, it might get other brands to give it a try.

TheGreatCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The first gen Volt got 35 miles electric range, 2nd gen bumped up to 53 miles and it only weighed 3500 lbs In addition to not have the Wranglers capability. I think your expectations are unrealistic. The 4xe range is perfectly in line with the rest of the plug in hybrid suv sector. If you want full electric, wait to see what Tesla’s Cybertruck does, it might get other brands to give it a try.
As I said in a follow-up, I'm speaking of the drivetrain out of the Volt, not the Volt itself. Why would I expect a sedan to rock crawl like a Jeep?

Sure, it may be in-line with the rest of the plugin hybrid SUV market but Jeeps have never been "like other cars", they've always exceeded expectations and gone where others can't. I was hoping Jeep would continue that and not just do what everybody else is doing.

I have no interest in a Cybertruck, the styling is not for me.

I am simply giving my opinion and hopes for what Jeep could do with an all electric drivetrain. By the way, the Tesla Model X has a similar curb weight to the Gladiator and manages 230+ miles of range.

Sponsored

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
I think the most impressive thing about this wrangler is the specs- 370 hp and 470 of torque. Also the combined mpg of above 50 mpg is pretty awesome. It’s meant to be a hybrid competitor and not in the fully electric sector.

I was excited about the wagoneer and Was seriously considering, but, I was expecting something truly vintage inspired, similar to the charger... but this looks more modern like an expidition. Missed the mark for me :(

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
I was excited about the wagoneer and Was seriously considering, but, I was expecting something truly vintage inspired, similar to the charger... but this looks more modern like an expidition. Missed the mark for me :(
I've read elsewhere the new Grand Wagoneer will be priced at around $100,000 with options. Jeep wants to compete with Rover and Mercedes, but I'm not sure those buyers will be willing to pay that much for something with a Jeep badge.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've read elsewhere the new Grand Wagoneer will be priced at around $100,000 with options. Jeep wants to compete with Rover and Mercedes, but I'm not sure those buyers will be willing to pay that much for something with a Jeep badge.
yep... not a chance

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
Well, thr Grand Wagoner will start at around $77, 500...
cheers

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, thr Grand Wagoner will start at around $77, 500...
cheers
At starting at 77k, they should have a supercharged engine and real wood side panels. But hey some argue a fully loaded LE which in the mid 60s isn’t worth it.

Jeep totally missed the mark with the Wagoneer because of 4 things:
1)vintage style front end that’s tilted a little forward
2) wood inspired side panels... most new ones I’ve seen dont have Woodgrain, and the one that does looks horrible. As for the others ... Wagoneer without wood?
3) beefy 2/3 roof rack ... designed to just throw luggage on and strap it down
4) Full rear sliding window

this new model is worse than the wagoneer cherokees they made w woodgrain
Sponsored

Last edited: