Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 F-150, ‘15 CTS, ‘21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
  • Banned
Is there a tuner that remedies this?

From the dawn of creation, upshifting an automatic transmission was done by pushing the shifter towards the firewall in the natural motion that God intended. Conversely, downshifting was done in a pulling motion.

Anyone else having difficulty making the shift?

20211119_101728.jpg
Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

Victoryrider78

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Sales / Operations Support
The first time I used the manual mode I scared myself because of that. I went to upshift towards the dash and almost went through the windshield as the engine roared into the high RPMs. I was highly confused at the time (thought maybe it was just me?), but have since gotten used to it in the rare times that I do shift manually.

JustinLentz

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Mojave RIP: 20JT 09jk, 03jgc, 97tj, 95yj, 73cj
Occupation
Operations Coordinator
I only use it when i need to downshift in the sand or when on the highway to get into that final gear but it is annoying having to look before shifting to make sure I'm going the right direction

Is there a tuner that remedies this?

From the dawn of creation, upshifting an automatic transmission was done by pushing the shifter towards the firewall in the natural motion that God intended. Conversely, downshifting was done in a pulling motion.

Anyone else having difficulty making the shift?

Sponsored

Levi.Butler

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Data Engineer
This sentiment, while pointing to what human beings may be used to, doesn't make sense.

Every single sequential manual transmission is this way. This is the correct way. Just because some manufacturer got it wrong and you got used to it doesn't mean it should stay that way.

When you upshift, forward momentum (in a vehicle that actually has some power to weight ratio) is created. Keeping your back planted against the seat and pulling a shifter back toward you in the opposite direction as the oncoming momentum shift is what you are looking for.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Video games have changed our perception of shifting.

Sponsored

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray JTR, 2016 Bonneville T120 Black
the way it's set-up seems very natural to me. 1 as at the top/up of the list, and you go down/backwards as the number gets higher.

Top/Forward
Bottom/Backward

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The first time I used the manual mode I scared myself because of that. I went to upshift towards the dash and almost went through the windshield as the engine roared into the high RPMs. I was highly confused at the time (thought maybe it was just me?), but have since gotten used to it in the rare times that I do shift manually.
For a while I had a performance ratchet shifter in my 73 Javelin with TF727
To start out you pulled it back holding a lever. Then to shift you simply smacked the shifter forward to the stop - it would upshift and the shifter returned back. For third gear you smacked it again, it would upshift and the shifter returned. To hit Neutral, R or P you had to hold a lever but for shifting between the forward gears you smacked it forward for upshift and a quick pull or smack back on the shifter would downshift.
The thing was installed wrong by the prior owner and it got tangled up in in the non-drive gears and it screwed up the cable and bracket so I have since removed it (I don't race it now)
I put the stock shifter back in - yeah, similar thing - bump it forward to upshift, lift a handle and pull back to downshift.

After running this thing through its paces then getting into my truck - the truck is just backwards to everything else I've ever owned or driven.

Sorry, not the best photo, but the car is apart for new door hinges and you have to gut the dash and part of the interior to get to them (and replacing all the glass with tinted) ->
Jeep Gladiator Oh Jeep... Why you so backwards? 20211119_104146_HDR

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yup, this is the normal way, the way you got used to is backwards.
All cars ever produced in the USA with floor shift automatics you pull BACK to downshift, push forward to upshift. Only the guys that put in reverse pattern valve bodies for racing have it the other way. Production automatics were always back for down, forward for up. (again, note the name - REVERSE PATTERN - because it's backward from normal or factory - it's for racing)

You don't push forward on the throttle of an airplane or tractor to slow down.......

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This sentiment, while pointing to what human beings may be used to, doesn't make sense.

Every single sequential manual transmission is this way. This is the correct way. Just because some manufacturer got it wrong and you got used to it doesn't mean it should stay that way.

When you upshift, forward momentum (in a vehicle that actually has some power to weight ratio) is created. Keeping your back planted against the seat and pulling a shifter back toward you in the opposite direction as the oncoming momentum shift is what you are looking for.
True - but those are for racing and how many here take their cars to the track with a sequential shift manual?
These are automatics and automatics have always been back for down.
Guys who argue that these are normal always reference race equipment, not normal cars and trucks as they came factory.

We are talking production normal vehicles, not what you see watching races on TV LOL - that's a funny argument "watch on TV".
How many here drive such vehicles on a REGULAR basis? How many here grew up with cars with floor shifts that had reverse pattern?
Ya know why they are called reverse pattern valve bodies? Because they are BACKWARDS from production, backwards from NORMAL automatics.
These are not quarter mile track trucks with inline manual shifters. These aren't race trucks, they are ordinary production vehicles, why do people keep claiming it's normal because RACE vehicles shift that way?

Show me a production car with an automatic where D or 3rd or high is at the back and low is forward.
Go look at Mustang, Camaro, whatever. Low is back, D or high gear is forward. I have a NOS mustang automatic shifter in my shop. 1, 2, 3, as you move forward.

And for those comparing to inline manual shifters - show me a production car that most people have owned or driven with high gear to the rear. I don't mean racing or performance or a Mercedes or BMW - I mean something the majority of people have owned or driven.

Funny, now we're comparing Gladiators to race and rally vehicles.

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
In the early 70's, the Goobermint decreed all motorcycles must have the same shift pattern and location. Neutral between 1 and 2 with a press downward to first from neutral and a lift up for 2 and higher. So the pull of the Jeep shifter to upshift seems natural to me. Any one use a heel/toe shift lever on their motorcycle? Same thing.
Sponsored