First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 JGC Overland 4.7 HO, '18 JGC Trackhawk 6.2 SC
Occupation
Tech
I think you drastically overestimate the value of doing this and underestimate the capabilities of modern engineering. Catalyst delete kits and high flow replacements are almost non-existent largely because the efficiency today is unreal compared to what it was 20 years ago.

You will save so little doing this that I can all but guarantee the savings will never recoup your costs and your performance gains will likely be within the margin of error.
Do you currently own a deleted diesel? Have you driven one before/after? I have a D'max truck that may, or may not be deleted and tuned. It's a night and day difference, more power/torque with lower temps and better fuel economy. Also, reduced under-hood and under-truck temps. The latter part actually matters since I do take my truck off-road. I don't like the idea of running through tall grass/weeds with a diesel in regen...

-TJ
Sponsored

Phil3333

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram2500
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
One of those people I see! Shouldnā€™t you be over on the Prius forum?
There is no ā€œtrendā€, only a cycle which weā€™ve not lived through or documented before. We donā€™t control or change climate by the vehicles we drive or type of fuel that we burn. Air quality, yes, we contribute heavily to that, but temperature of the globe, nope. We are not more powerful than God, or Mother Nature, or whichever higher power you believe in no matter what vehicle you drive.
If you remember smog filled air then you surely realize the population since then has doubled, or tripled, or more in some if not most areas all while the amount of vehicles has risen accordingly and the air has gotten cleaner.
And if you remember that air then you also remember we were all going to die from acid rain, or the Ruskies dropping the bomb, or the Ice Age that was coming in the late 70ā€™s, or the ozone hole that was going to cause us all to burst into flames, or any of the numerous boogeymen that the Gubment has tried to scare us into submission with. While I am a firm believer in leaving wherever you recreate cleaner than you found it, and that we as nasty ass humans shouldnā€™t litter and pollute like we do I also do not think we are more powerful than Higher Beings or the natural cycles of the earth. We are just in a cycle weā€™ve not experienced before, nothing you can do about it but crank up the AC.
Preach it brother you sound like me:like:

ChimeraJT

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green JTR Diesel
Occupation
Tech
I think you drastically overestimate the value of doing this and underestimate the capabilities of modern engineering. Catalyst delete kits and high flow replacements are almost non-existent largely because the efficiency today is unreal compared to what it was 20 years ago.

You will save so little doing this that I can all but guarantee the savings will never recoup your costs and your performance gains will likely be within the margin of error.
No, delete kits are almost non-existent because the EPA comes after shop owners with a vengeance for installing them.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/31848/epa-declares-war-against-makers-of-emissions-defeat-devices.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/23833...roducing-and-selling-emissions-defeat-devices

https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/performance-diesel-inc-clean-air-act-settlement-information-sheet

I'm not looking to roll coal, but if you don't know of the myriad of cooling, reliability, and efficiency issues modern diesels have solely due to the emissions equipment, you're not paying attention.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Do you currently own a deleted diesel? Have you driven one before/after? I have a D'max truck that may, or may not be deleted and tuned. It's a night and day difference, more power/torque with lower temps and better fuel economy. Also, reduced under-hood and under-truck temps. The latter part actually matters since I do take my truck off-road. I don't like the idea of running through tall grass/weeds with a diesel in regen...

-TJ
I used to be a light truck diesel tech and had my fair share of fun with the emissions crap. My catalyst comment above wasn't necessarily directed towards diesel exclusively but much of what I've said here is directed at this particular application. Of course you can rip shit out and retune and get benefits on trucks with headroom but when the JT Eco is limping just from driving up hills in the desert, there's not a lot of headroom.

The best thing you can do for power and anything else is going to be the tune. That's always been the case with diesels and it's more true now... this isn't the first gen diesel emissions crap that was just chucked onto trucks to meet the regs. They've had sufficient time to properly engineer and real-world test and the gains just aren't there like they used to be.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
One of those people I see! Shouldnā€™t you be over on the Prius forum?
There is no ā€œtrendā€, only a cycle which weā€™ve not lived through or documented before. We donā€™t control or change climate by the vehicles we drive or type of fuel that we burn. Air quality, yes, we contribute heavily to that, but temperature of the globe, nope. We are not more powerful than God, or Mother Nature, or whichever higher power you believe in no matter what vehicle you drive.
If you remember smog filled air then you surely realize the population since then has doubled, or tripled, or more in some if not most areas all while the amount of vehicles has risen accordingly and the air has gotten cleaner.
And if you remember that air then you also remember we were all going to die from acid rain, or the Ruskies dropping the bomb, or the Ice Age that was coming in the late 70ā€™s, or the ozone hole that was going to cause us all to burst into flames, or any of the numerous boogeymen that the Gubment has tried to scare us into submission with. While I am a firm believer in leaving wherever you recreate cleaner than you found it, and that we as nasty ass humans shouldnā€™t litter and pollute like we do I also do not think we are more powerful than Higher Beings or the natural cycles of the earth. We are just in a cycle weā€™ve not experienced before, nothing you can do about it but crank up the AC.
Lol good job. So many people don't understand this and just listen to whatever politicized news outlet they get brainwashed from. The temps we have are cyclic, it's a trend that takes hundreds/thousands of years for warming and cooling. We are currently right on track with our current warming trend historically. It kills me how often uneducated people talk about global warming as if we are doing it; It's natural people, calm down. Better air quality is always good, but we aren't cooking ourselves to death.

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Avoiding the politics, is it really such a bad thing to want cleaner air? I grew up in the IE and I don't think a lot of people understand just how bad it was in the 90's. We'd be out playing hockey on summer days when that LA smog would roll in and my chest would be hurting after a couple hours.

The reason that world doesn't exist anymore is because we have emissions controls. That is why we can have so many more cars on the road and still have better overall air quality and lower emissions. I don't think it's a huge sacrifice to make sure people don't have to live through that again.

Yeah it's just one truck here and just one there but I'm also one for equality and others shouldn't have to suffer just because you want more. If you want more power, buy more truck.

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Willie's ecodiesel
Occupation
Union electrician
Well thatā€™s disappointing I thought I had the power to change the temperature outsideā€¦ my last deleted d max zr2 had near zero smoke under full load from a dead stop and got 4 calculated higher mpg. Only real downside of the delete is the warranty void. At 100k I will do this again.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
That really isn't as much a thing since everything is about weight now. Aluminum heads and pistons, special coatings, and all the other crap have drastically reduced diesel durability. In reality any engine will get you 200k these days and most vehicles will be falling apart before the engine wears out.

The greater problem with your plan is that I can absolutely see nationwide emissions testing becoming a thing as they start to push people to electric. Little reversible things are one thing but ripping out major systems for any reason might give you problems later.
Yeah that was my reason for not deleting ā€” also no dealer will ever take one and reinstalling everything ā€¦ yeah. Not worth it.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Avoiding the politics, is it really such a bad thing to want cleaner air? I grew up in the IE and I don't think a lot of people understand just how bad it was in the 90's. We'd be out playing hockey on summer days when that LA smog would roll in and my chest would be hurting after a couple hours.

The reason that world doesn't exist anymore is because we have emissions controls. That is why we can have so many more cars on the road and still have better overall air quality and lower emissions. I don't think it's a huge sacrifice to make sure people don't have to live through that again.

Yeah it's just one truck here and just one there but I'm also one for equality and others shouldn't have to suffer just because you want more. If you want more power, buy more truck.
Itā€™s probably impossible to have a productive conversation on this topic on the internet lol.

I hear you though and I doubt anyone would say their intention is to make others suffer and have dirtier air. Iā€™m all for electric but itā€™s a balance while we all go through that change. As far as diesel truck emissions, I wouldnā€™t delete it because the hassle isnā€™t worth it, but if I did Iā€™d sure as hell focus on the tuning so Iā€™m not rolling coal.

Sponsored

ChimeraJT

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green JTR Diesel
Occupation
Tech
Itā€™s probably impossible to have a productive conversation on this topic on the internet lol.

I hear you though and I doubt anyone would say their intention is to make others suffer and have dirtier air. Iā€™m all for electric but itā€™s a balance while we all go through that change. As far as diesel truck emissions, I wouldnā€™t delete it because the hassle isnā€™t worth it, but if I did Iā€™d sure as hell focus on the tuning so Iā€™m not rolling coal.

Yeah I think you're right on point. I'd like to delete because I know it comes with benefits to the longevity and reliability of the engine, but I wish it didn't have to come at the cost of more NOx.

I'm certainly not for rolling coal. I'm just a huge fan of diesel engines from an engineering and efficiency standpoint. I think they're cool as hell. They power the modern world. EV's just aren't at that level and won't be for awhile.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure

try +75 hp and +120tq, way cooler temps, increased mpg and increased longevity once the diesel is no longer forced to sniff its own farts via EGR.

Lateralus

Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
If pollution is such a big problem to America and the planet, why would Americans want to shift manufacturing of goods to countries with relaxed standards on disposal of harmful chemicals and emissions? Would a plastic molding company in California or Georgia be under more scrutiny than a plant in China? Which plant has to adhere to stricter emissions standards?

The fact that more of you never ask that question makes me realize that as a country, we are in big trouble. But I guess we're all kind of groomed to not question or talk about issues nowadays. Just go back to obsessing over sports, the latest star wars movie or what color accents would pop on your vehicle šŸ˜‰

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
If pollution is such a big problem to America and the planet, why would Americans want to shift manufacturing of goods to countries with relaxed standards on disposal of harmful chemicals and emissions? Would a plastic molding company in California or Georgia be under more scrutiny than a plant in China? Which plant has to adhere to stricter emissions standards?

The fact that more of you never ask that question makes me realize that as a country, we are in big trouble. But I guess we're all kind of groomed to not question or talk about issues nowadays. Just go back to obsessing over sports, the latest star wars movie or what color accents would pop on your vehicle šŸ˜‰
Simple math. Goods are produced where cost is the lowest. Environmental, Supply Chain, Access, Availability, and other issues are all secondary to the company paying to have the goods produced. Environmental issues may be important to the people, but the corporate concern is only to the effect it has on the bottom line.

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
try +75 hp and +120tq, way cooler temps, increased mpg and increased longevity once the diesel is no longer forced to sniff its own farts via EGR.
ā€˜Please link the source of your data.

As to the detriment to the environment not being ā€œthe intention ā€œ, it is a side effect and should be considered.

I had a neighbor with a modified motorcycle exhaust. Loud does not cover it. Merely idling in his driveway meant other houses around him literally could not talk on their phones inside their houses. It affected houses a block away when he rolled into the throttle for a normal start down the street, not even gunning it. Someon actually left him a note on his door stating ā€œI hope you die on the freeway and take that bike with youā€.

Point is, he just wanted the sound and wasnā€™t out to make others unhappy, but he did. He never meant to be an asshole, but he was because he didnā€™t stop to give real consideration to otherā€™s perspectives. I had a very frank conversation since he was my friend and related to him that Nobody thought his bike was acceptable. I reminded him that this coming from his buddy that has a truck and shovels in the case he needs to dispose of a body. Iā€™ll even buy the beer and burgers when done. But if some guy steps up to whip his ass over that loud motorcycle, I gotta stand back and let the games begin, ā€˜cuz he had it coming. I thought about whipping his ass myself, but Iā€™m more civilized as I grow older. He did get rid of it and everyone was glad.

Point is, donā€™t be a jerk, even unintentionally by ignoring how you affect others. The world is already too full of narcissistic people who enjoys societyā€™s benefits but donā€™t feel the rules of that society apply to them.

DPF/EGR Catalytic convertersā€¦ really isnā€™t a hill worth fighting for. Not much different than the rules against loud exhaust pipes In my view.
Sponsored

Last edited: