First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep gladiator high Altitude
Occupation
Delivery guy
Hello guys, wondering if someone from here has done the oil catch can mod ? And if so what do you think soo far and the brand you went with
Sponsored

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD

Sponsored

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Take care about generics. Catch cans in bad positions have a tendency to "overproduce" results.

Throw a thin catch can in an area where it's likely to create condensation and you're going to be emptying it very often, except what you empty will look a whole lot more like chocolate milk than engine oil.

Contrary to popular belief, oil and water can mix with enough agitation and can suspend to a point where they no longer separate. That's what the "chocolate milk" in a catch can is. Don't get duped into thinking you're saving your engine from 8 ounces of potential sludge every 2500 miles when most of that sludge is water being pulled out of air that was never in your engine to begin with.

From my limited research, mishimoto is both a very thick can, and located in a proper location to reduce condensation. What comes out of a mishimoto during spring-fall should look exactly like used motor oil, and there shouldn't be much of it. You'll still get some chocolate milk in the wintertime.

Florida Mojave

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 2018 JKU, 2021 JT Mojave
I installed JLT Performance oil catch cans on two of my Jeeps, easy install and work perfectly.
There are several threads on this subject in the forum...you should get plenty of info.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Two Door Rubicon, 2017 Audi Q5, 2016 Ram, 2016 Yamaha XSR900
I’ve used a JLT before as well with good results. High quality and easy to empty.

O-Face

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
I have a Mishimoto catch can. It does catch oil, easy to empty. I'm happy with it. A generic like @Mac would probably work just fine. There are some nice looking ones machined very well for cheap. The Mishimoto was a easy pezzy installation.
I'll add another vote for the Mishimoto. As previously said, install was super easy and looks OEM. The crap that thing catches and prevents from going back into the motor is impressive. I know there are folks who poopoo catch cans but you can't honestly tell me that the garbage getting stuffed back in the motor is a good thing.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Two Door Rubicon, 2017 Audi Q5, 2016 Ram, 2016 Yamaha XSR900
I'll add another vote for the Mishimoto. As previously said, install was super easy and looks OEM. The crap that thing catches and prevents from going back into the motor is impressive. I know there are folks who poopoo catch cans but you can't honestly tell me that the garbage getting stuffed back in the motor is a good thing.
Being port injection, coating of the valves is not a thing, but I do worry about fuel dilution and it’s impact on octane rating.

Sponsored

TeraFlex

First Name
TeraFlex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teraflex.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, JT, JK

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
As some insight, we've been doing some updating and tweaking to this kit to improve the functionality and design, and the updated version will be released here in the next few weeks.
Thank you teraflex… you guys have been awesome.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
As some insight, we've been doing some updating and tweaking to this kit to improve the functionality and design, and the updated version will be released here in the next few weeks.
Any chance you are testing the kit to work on the ecoD in parallel?

TeraFlex

First Name
TeraFlex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teraflex.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, JT, JK
Any chance you are testing the kit to work on the ecoD in parallel?
Good question. It's safe to say we have no plans for a 2.0 JL or Jl/JT Eco Diesel kit due to those engine designs having a different PCV valve mounting location. The main issue with the 3.6 PCV location is being on the back of the valve cover at large inclines and angles the oil can flow to and into the PCV system, and thus get sucked into the intake, which is what our kit prevents from happening. Since the Eco Diesel and 2.0 have different PCV locations, the oil draw issue through the PCV system isn't an issue.

Iamstubb

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
I use a Billet Technology can on my 392. Nice, thick aluminum body and it does catch about 100-150 ml through every oil change. I have a different opinion for a Pentastar. Having run a mopar CAI with on my 2012 Charger with the oil vapor hose pointing right at the filter, I have yet to even get discoloration and see only miniscule amounts of oil in the line. So it is unlikely it would do much at all. That one is past 260,000 miles now and still running fine. Curious what others may have experienced with the 3.6.
Sponsored