Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR, '98 XJ, '17 FLHXS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
I knew when he put “the” in front of I4 he had to be talking about something else. Had a friend move from S Cal where apparently they have “The 5” and he started calling I-4 “The 4.” Told him if he didn’t want to sound like an out of towner to call it “I-4.”
haha yeah, I noticed that when I first moved here back in the late 80's. Now it is just normal. Take the 15 to the 56 or the 5 to the 8 etc.
Sponsored

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
Since when is the 4-cylinder available in the Gladiator?
This is, after all, a Gladiator forum…

Kevin
I'd agree with you if people weren't beating a dead horse asking for this engine in the Gladiator.

Real world feedback from a Gladiator owner on how this engine performs in a smaller JL platform is certainly welcome, and might just shine some light on the problems that people are going to see if they put this engine in the Gladiator.

SC Doberman

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I test drove a Wrangler Rubicon once and thought it had a 6 in it. Pulled out of the lot with the sales guy and I was like wtf?! I asked him if something was wrong with it. He said no it has the 4 in it. I immediately did a u turn and pulled back on the lot. THAT THING WOULDNT PULL A GREASY STRING OUT OF A GNATS ASS!

Sponsored

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Here in Michigan we don't use the "I" either. 131 to 94.
Back in the day had a girlfriend trying to direct me to her place at GVSU.

She told me to take i96 where it splits.

What she meant was take 196. She didn't realize the "i" was short for interstate. She thought the "1" in front of 196 was an "i" and everyone just called it i96. :LOL:

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Back in the day had a girlfriend trying to direct me to her place at GVSU.

She told me to take i96 where it splits.

What she meant was take 196. She didn't realize the "i" was short for interstate. She thought the "1" in front of 196 was an "i" and everyone just called it i96. :LOL:
Class of '06.

Mojave2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
I’d be willing to bet a throttle controller like a Pedal Commander or Banks Pedal Monster could help alleviate and/or improve the I4 lag issue. It’s made a huge difference on my Pentastar, which IMHO also has a huge amount of lag/bogging.

DirtySaylor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
LMAO, I'm in Orlando, we'll just moved to Ocala and I thought you were going to rant about the I-4 interstate! I do hate that road, it's getting better but damn that road. And apparently my disdain for the I-4 road is equal to the Jeep I4. Lol.
Here in Tampa we call it "Die-4"

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR., 2021 JLU Altitude
Occupation
International Banker
We have the 2.0L in the wife's JLUR and love it. It will run circles around my 3.6L, though I would have opted for the V8 in the Gladiator if offered.
I get to compare the 3.6 in my JT to the Turbo4 in the wife's JLU quite regularly. Above is my general observance as well. Once the 4 comes on boost it kills the 3.6.

However, by nature the turbo does lag a little in situations and is far more abrupt. The 3.6 is smooth in its power delivery, which I like.

Lag isn't as bad as some of the tuner cars I had in my youth though. The turbo is small and fairly responsive for the most part.

Sponsored

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
My wife's new car is a turbo 4 (well, her last one was too but apparently Ford has the Ecoboost figured out). Anyway, she was complaining about turbo lag in her own way, and I said its a turbo, that's just the way it's going to be....

"Can't you take that turbo off?"

:facepalm:

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Sting Gray Sport S
Occupation
Software Engineer
I’m new to all things Jeep. Do you mean the 4xe?

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
I have the 2.0T eTorque in my '19 Rubicon JL.......... not sure what lag your talking about, I have no problem smoking my 35s or getting off the inline.

Only performance mods where its the wifey's daily is the Mishimoto intake, muffler delete and Mishimoto catch can (not really a performance mod).

Expectation management gents, its a brick on wheels. I have no problem pulling out F150s or Silverado 3500s out on the beach.

OP
OP
j.o.y.ride

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
I have the 2.0T eTorque in my '19 Rubicon JL.......... not sure what lag your talking about, I have no problem smoking my 35s or getting off the inline.

Only performance mods where its the wifey's daily is the Mishimoto intake, muffler delete and Mishimoto catch can (not really a performance mod).

Expectation management gents, its a brick on wheels. I have no problem pulling out F150s or Silverado 3500s out on the beach.
Smoking tires and initial low end lag have nothing to do with each other. As I mentioned earlier, I have no doubts the peak of the I4 is stronger than the V6.

Good example of what I am talking about is dead stopped at traffic circles that are all over Sedona. Gauging if it's going to be your turn or still yield. Giving it a normal amount of gas to merge like a sane person and you will feel the hesitation and then kick. Fine for a little sports car but I don't want any of that in a Jeep.

Also still loling at the RC car leaf blower noise of the e-torque motor. My kid kept joking about why is there some gardener following us around everywhere.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Smoking tires and initial low end lag have nothing to do with each other. As I mentioned earlier, I have no doubts the peak of the I4 is stronger than the V6.

Good example of what I am talking about is dead stopped at traffic circles that are all over Sedona. Gauging if it's going to be your turn or still yield. Giving it a normal amount of gas to merge like a sane person and you will feel the hesitation and then kick. Fine for a little sports car but I don't want any of that in a Jeep.

Also still loling at the RC car leaf blower noise of the e-torque motor. My kid kept joking about why is there some gardener following us around everywhere.
Smoking tires requires low end grunt......but ok.

How many legit turbo cars have you had.....the turbo in these things is tiny........they gas out at 5500rpm.

Again your idea of lag and power are due to unreasonable expectation management. My previous turbo cars were just starting to make real boost at 3500-7500 rpm. It's a brick on wheels........it's more then turbo lag in the equation here.

My '10 Tahoe PPV with a motor I build (5.3) crushes a 392 Wrangler and a SRT8 Cherokees........I've been in the horsepower game for about 3 decades.
Sponsored