Sponsored

One thing that sucks about my jeep......slammed doors!

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Slam away, it won't hurt them. These aluminum doors do sound a bit odd to me though.
Sponsored

firemedic2714

First Name
Scotty P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Rubicon, 19 Genesis G70, 1972 Ford LTD coupe
Occupation
Firefighter / Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
I had the same problem with my JKU. The force used to close those doors was different with the hard top vs. soft top and luckily, the driver's door was the only one slightly out of adjustment (not enough to have it adjusted, thankfully) and I was able to adjust how hard I closed it depending on which top was on. I find with the door check on the JTs makes the doors almost effortless to close when on level ground. I guess we just have to add it to the list of "Jeep things".

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
I have noticed that the JT doors are much easier to close than my previous two JKs' doors. I assume the seals have changed.

Sponsored

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Try being with a woman who's used to German cars with heavy doors... I have had many expensive fiberglass doors slammed on weekend outings because she doesn't modulate her strength for the car she is in.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Try being with a woman who's used to German cars with heavy doors... I have had many expensive fiberglass doors slammed on weekend outings because she doesn't modulate her strength for the car she is in.
Might need to get her a different vehicle.

Lynn_F

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I've subconsciously trained myself to keep my door open until everyone else's is shut - then I shut mine nice and easy. On a side note...I took my front doors off last summer and the new hinge brackets that have to be unbolted on the inside of the cab retracted into my door. I can't get those suckers back out so I've just been dealing with having the doors bounce off of me every time I get I'm and out.

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
Slamming doors is something that will always piss me off. It started with my first vehicle.. that had power locking doors. Someone slammed door shut broke the door latch inside door and power lock. Had to disassemble door with shut to be able to open it and fix it. Nothing special about that 10 year old car but I tried to take care of it. That started me down the road for getting pissed off about slamming doors. My second car I owned that you had to slam the door on 72 T-bird.
I had a 74 T-bird I think those doors weighed close to what my JT weighs.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
On a side note...I took my front doors off last summer and the new hinge brackets that have to be unbolted on the inside of the cab retracted into my door. I can't get those suckers back out so I've just been dealing with having the doors bounce off of me every time I get I'm and out.
How? Mine haven't done that. Take it to the dealership and have them pull them out.

Sponsored

Lynn_F

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
How? Mine haven't done that. Take it to the dealership and have them pull them out.
I put the doors back on while we were on vacation at the beach because an unexpected storm rolled in. I just sat them on the hinges and closed them which caused the brackets to retract all the way in the door. I haven't deemed it enough of a nuisance to take it to the dealer, I was just wondering if anyone had a DIY solution.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I find that odd or interesting as I've got a few friends with high-end cars, Mercedes, BMW, etc. and those doors close SO easily there's no need for muscle. They may be heavy, but to close them there isn't a need to slam them. Just a gentle shove does it when getting out. That's how my friends show off the engineering - they get out and then with 3 or 4 fingers, give the door a gently push and it closes with that nice, neat well-engineered sound they make.
It's only older American cars with heavy doors that don't close well you need to slam the doors in my experience.
Want the HEAVY doors to close and latch on my 73 Javelin, get a grip and wham, or it won't close and latch. My wife's Grand Cherokee doors - well, there was some shared Mercedes technology crept into those things, it's like a luxury car in that way. No need to slam! They close nicely and every time they latch perfectly.
We have a German-made washing machine and I love the door on that thing, a front-loader, it literally sounds like you are closing the door on a German luxury car. And the hinges are beefy, they'll outlast me.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
They will if you aren't careful and make sure they are fully out when unbolting them and make the the last things you unbolt before lifting the door off - and don't close the door when removing it.
One of mine did - I was not careful, I took those bolts out first - dumb move - make those LAST - and it popped in. Wasn't that bad getting it back out. I put the door on the truck and I can't recall how, but I got it back out without any real issue. I wish I could remember how. I figured it would be totally impossible, but it wasn't really that bad in the end.
The other door - not a problem as I learned from the first - take those bolts out last on that door.
The videos that show doing this are really silly - they tell you "be careful as the door will swing forward and hit things". No they won't if you take things loose in the right order! Just another reason I don't always fully trust videos on "how to" as even they mess up and don't do things the easiest ways at times.

gt3mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
I find that odd or interesting as I've got a few friends with high-end cars, Mercedes, BMW, etc. and those doors close SO easily there's no need for muscle. They may be heavy, but to close them there isn't a need to slam them. Just a gentle shove does it when getting out.
I think this is because these cars lower the window a small amount as the door is about to close and then raise it again once it is latched. If for whatever reason it isn't able to, there is too much air pressure inside the car for the door to latch. I've owned several cars now that do this.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
These doors close like a Lexus compared to those on my JK.
Sponsored

Last edited: