First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Teacher-Retired Firefighter
It has nothing to do with insecurities but has everything to do with marketing. The Sahara and Overland models are geared more towards women.
Nope, unless I haven’t seen the same marketing you have. I haven’t seen one woman driving a jeep gladiator yet. Even the model name gladiator doesn’t look like it’s being marketed to a woman. Not gat there aren’t women owners, this forum included. But most stuff I seen on tv had a dude at the wheel.
Sponsored

Last edited:

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I did the same thing. New front bumper & Winch $800, 35's $1100, 2.5 "Icon suspension lift $1100,next up $2K for 4.56 gears and lockers. My Overcon is more capable in regards to offroading than the stock rubi once the gearing and lockers are done. The problem with the rubicon is 33's kinda suck, Fox shocks are ok, and 4.10s will need replacing if you go to 35's. Why spend several thousand for 33's, 4.10, and mopar lift when you will change it later anyways. Just my .002. Oh and resell I'm never getting rid of this truck not worried.
20200112_135040.jpg
And after all that money, you have the least capable truck in the country because your payload is now likely down into the 3-digit range and your towing is a miserable <5,000 lb figure on a good day with nothing else in the truck. And as far as off-roading, you still don't have the 32-spline heavy duty axle shafts or diffs, regardless of what you re-geared your axle ratio to, and your track width is still 1.5" narrower which reduces your off-camber stability.

But... whatever.

I haven't found a single way yet to slice the watermelon where the Overland is a better purchase. It doesn't have the off-road chops the Rubicon has, it doesn't have any options or features you can't get on the Rubicon, and it also doesn't have the ability to do the work of a pickup truck that the Sport can do. It's very much a black sheep in the lineup.

Jeepnoob34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
And after all that money, you have the least capable truck in the country because your payload is now likely down into the 3-digit range and your towing is a miserable <5,000 lb figure on a good day with nothing else in the truck. And as far as off-roading, you still don't have the 32-spline heavy duty axle shafts or diffs, regardless of what you re-geared your axle ratio to, and your track width is still 1.5" narrower which reduces your off-camber stability.

But... whatever.

I haven't found a single way yet to slice the watermelon where the Overland is a better purchase. It doesn't have the off-road chops the Rubicon has, it doesn't have any options or features you can't get on the Rubicon, and it also doesn't have the ability to do the work of a pickup truck that the Sport can do. It's very much a black sheep in the lineup.
What your saying makes sense if the buyer is a rock crawler or someone who would need max tow. This was my first Jeep and have never been one to go off road or tow much. I bought it for the removable doors and roof, while also being able to throw stuff in the bed when needed. My understanding is the overland is the luxury/touring model of the gladiators. Mine came with all the bells and whistles inside and out. Acc, leather seats, big nav screen, etc, were important to me. If I need max payload or something similar, I’ll use the right tool for the job, a full size truck with a v8. Sure, I could’ve bought the rubi with all the bells and whistles I got with the overland, but I’d be paying for stuff I don’t use.
Like I said earlier, this is my first Jeep. If I decide I want to try out the rock crawling scene down the road, I’ll go with a rubi on the next one. For now, the overland has given me all the bells and whistles I use on a daily basis and I don’t pay for the rubi features I would rarely or never use.

Mr. Wuf

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Principal
I ordered a JKU Hard Rock Rubicon from the factory in 205 and drove it for 94,000 miles. I can count on one hand the number of times I used the lockers or electric swaybar disconnect.

When I started researching Gladiators, I was torn between the Sport S with Max Tow and another Rubicon. Then I found an Overland with a ton of rebates that saved me at least $10,000 over a comparably equipped Rubicon. Sure, I could have bought a bare bones Rubicon for slightly more, but I’m at a point in my life where I’d rather have the comfort features and more than enough off-road capability to conquer 99.99999% of trails I or anyone else would ever consider. I won’t ever haul anything heavier than a jet ski or a small skiff.

I don’t need Rubicon stamped on the side of my hood to justify my masculinity like some of y’all.

I used the savings to lift it and buy wheels and tires. I don’t care about the 3.73 vs. 4.10 debate since I’m regearing anyway. I’ll install an aftermarket rear locker and manual disconnects and still come out way ahead. The only thing I won’t have over a Rubicon is the Rubi transfer case, and I’m not a rock crawler anyway.

The Overland was 100% the right choice for me.

Jeep Gladiator Overland or Rubicon - Can't Decide D83397D5-929B-476A-8EAF-2FDFF6370B7D

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
seriously! You gonna go with that? Haha personally
I like the Overland styling And with a few bucks,, around 2500,it can run a rubi into the ground (cost comes to the same with 2 inches of lift and bigger tires) And of note, serious “macho” Off-roaders change the gears, tires, suspension, fenders, rock sliders, bumpers, skid plates and (feminine) push button sway bar disconnects anyway. So weighing in all that, best Money spent for a masculine truck as you would put it, is an Sport S w/ Max Tow modded out. When you run 38s or better, axles, trusses ball joints, hydraulic steering and more mods come out of the woodwork. Just check out Northridge builds if you doubt what I am saying.
Fixed that for you

Indavis01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2016 Volvo Xc90 Polestar
Occupation
Finder of bad stuff and people.
Vehicle Showcase
Here is what it came down to for me. Deals. The Overlands are sitting on lots a lot longer than the Rubicon's because every mall crawler out there wants the "rubicon" written on the hood (and as you said the sticker price is about 3-4k difference). I spent 3 months comparing prices between the two and the Overlands were averaging about 4k more in incentives making the price difference between the two about 7-8k. That's the price of a Mid 00's Boxster (986) to have fun with + your Jeep. I always bought Sport models of jeeps because I would mod the crap out of them, so why pay for extras that are coming off anyway. With the incentives the Overland with leather, matching hard-top and fenders...... Were being sold at the same price as a sport S. I stand by that the best deals are to be had on the Overland's.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The only thing I won’t have over a Rubicon is the Rubi transfer case, and I’m not a rock crawler anyway.
I dont think there is a difference in transfer case between the models.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I stand by that the best deals are to be had on the Overland's.
That varies by area. I would of spent 8k more on an overland then I did my Sport S w/ Max Tow & another 8k more to get a Rubicon. There isnt anything on either an overland or a Rubicon that I cant do for the cost savings i got.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I dont think there is a difference in transfer case between the models.
Rubicon has a [low-geared] 4:1 transfer case, all other model JT’s have a 2:1 or something like that...Don’t remember the exact number.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That varies by area. I would of spent 8k more on an overland then I did my Sport S w/ Max Tow & another 8k more to get a Rubicon. There isnt anything on either an overland or a Rubicon that I cant do for the cost savings i got.
I negotiated down to about $45K on my Rubi (sticker was $53K), and it’s pretty much loaded-out other than leather, and all the nanny shit (adaptive cruise, etc...), and BS dealer-installed options, which i didn’t want anyway.

There ARE deals to be had, you just have to go out and find them, and do some hard-nosed negotiating, and be willing to walk away from it, if they won’t play ball, and they have to know that you’re serious about walking on the deal, if they start with the salesman bullshit.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I might actually suggest you get the Overland. You say you do not like the looks/feel of the Rubicon interior parts. Those are much harder to change after the fact vs. adding some exterior mods later on. How long do you plan on owning it? Long enough to burn through the dealership tires? It is easy to replace those with more aggressive tires and your cost is really only the difference between the stock tire prices and the off road tire prices. The Fox shocks do look cool, but they are not going to give you a nicer ride on the pavement, where you will probably spend 95% of your time in Orlando. And there are a lot of options out there for a front bumper, could probably even find a stock steel take off from someone going with an aftermarket bumper. The hood would probably be the hardest/most expensive issue to solve.
To me it's about how you see the primary reason you want the vehicle. If you view it as a rock-crawling off-road Jeep that also has to take you places, get the Rubicon. If you view it as daily driver that you want to take off-road sometimes, get the Overland.

I ordered an Overland, because I value the road manners and creature comforts, but if I was to get one primarily for off-road, I think the Mojave would suit me better than Rubicon.

Indavis01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered a JKU Hard Rock Rubicon from the factory in 205 and drove it for 94,000 miles. I can count on one hand the number of times I used the lockers or electric swaybar disconnect.

When I started researching Gladiators, I was torn between the Sport S with Max Tow and another Rubicon. Then I found an Overland with a ton of rebates that saved me at least $10,000 over a comparably equipped Rubicon. Sure, I could have bought a bare bones Rubicon for slightly more, but I’m at a point in my life where I’d rather have the comfort features and more than enough off-road capability to conquer 99.99999% of trails I or anyone else would ever consider. I won’t ever haul anything heavier than a jet ski or a small skiff.

I don’t need Rubicon stamped on the side of my hood to justify my masculinity like some of y’all.

I used the savings to lift it and buy wheels and tires. I don’t care about the 3.73 vs. 4.10 debate since I’m regearing anyway. I’ll install an aftermarket rear locker and manual disconnects and still come out way ahead. The only thing I won’t have over a Rubicon is the Rubi transfer case, and I’m not a rock crawler anyway.

The Overland was 100% the right choice for me.

Jeep Gladiator Overland or Rubicon - Can't Decide D83397D5-929B-476A-8EAF-2FDFF6370B7D
This 100%- or buy the Overland and a Polaris Razer for the same price.....

Indavis01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Fair point- my only references were Texas and SoCal.

Pug

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired
In February I was shopping for a Gladiator Rubicon. However, with the incentives being offered I was able to purchase an Overland for $8000 less than a similar equipped Rubicon. Since then, I have had my truck off road a number of times. My only mod was upgrading tires and wheels with Rubicon take offs. Yes, I was concerned the Overland would need a lift and gearing change. However, I have had zero issues running the trails around Central Florida. So, if you are not rock climbing and need a truck for the sand,mud and Florida beaches, you may want to look at the Overland and save some money.

my thought process was I could always mod the Overland or buy a Rubicon later on if this truck did not meet my needs. This truck has exceeded my expectations.

I traded in a wrangler jk sahara but still have a JL Rubicon. So have my bases covered.
Sponsored