Sponsored

Overpriced aftermarket parts...

DirtySaylor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
So i'm on Quadratec and have ordered several things (Think my credit card is about to catch fire).

I've noticed how prices are not competitive and vary widely for what appears to be the exact same material/concept/look.

For example: Mopar products are absurdly expensive. Was shopping for bumpers and saw bumpers for $1,200!!! Then DV8 has the same cool looking bumper for less than $500. Before buying I read carefully- they appear to go through the same manufacturing process and are of the same material. you think the market (or demand) for these over priced products would self correct. But it appears that isn't the case.

Same with lift kits. And oddly enough, when I do research on the lower priced parts I don't see people complaining about quality.

So I guess my question is: Is Mopar the Prada of the jeep world? Are people just paying for a name? Not to pick on Mopar, or other expensive brands. Just seems like it is the same way chicks pick handbags. It's an image/brand thing.
Sponsored

kostik76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I think you can get MOPAR parts when you are buying your new Jeep and have dealer install it. do not think most would do other parts. Also MOPAR is official Jeep brand. You can w/check, but that is what I think. I have not done lift kits just accessories to make my camping/fishing/hunting/travel easier, always bolt on and never an issue using none MOPAR aftermarket. I read reviews and if I am not happy with the part I send it back, but so far it did not happen.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Quadratec from what I understand gets and drop ships from a local dealership their MOPAR stuff. They do not have the margins to discount deep on it. Same with any other place that is offering MOPAR stuff that is meant to be discounted at the dealership at their discretion to drive traffic to the dealerships and not third party sellers like Quadratec.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Dealers here install a combination of over-priced junk AEV parts, and over-priced but decent Mopar parts. They over-charge for everything, because people are dumb and "need" to have their goodies rolled into a loan, so they end up paying 3x-4x what it would cost to have a good shop do it. And the dealer install quality is sketchy, even my wife sees it. We were in the showroom and she pointed at a JKUR with a sticker that was $27k over MSRP. She said, "Isn't that $7,000 in parts installed like sh!t?" Yep, things like plain electrical tape wrap for exposed wires.

z0lt3c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Build Thread
Link
The advantage of overpaying for Mopar parts, IMO, is that they don't interfere with the warranty on the vehicle. So yes, that Mopar lift kit costs twice as much as it should but is it worth the piece of mind?

Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Having had two lifted Jeeps in the past, and fixed under warranty with a Rubicon Express lift, my answer would be that no, it's not worth any peace of mind. BUT--the lift and shocks itself would be warrantied under any OEM extended warranty, so that could be worth it.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
The advantage of overpaying for Mopar parts, IMO, is that they don't interfere with the warranty on the vehicle. So yes, that Mopar lift kit costs twice as much as it should but is it worth the piece of mind?
I think that's a myth. Mopar parts or Icon parts; the warranty is the same.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I never understood the crazy markup on the mopar parts from anywhere. You can order these options from the factory for less than half the cost most times of the mopar part. I just don't get it.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
You think Mopar is bad, try BMW.... For BMW, there is no "retail price" that dealers have to top out at, so, they can charge over retail price that is shown on the internet .... So, when you go to the parts dept., here is the discussion.

1. I need part XXXX
2. We have that part for $XX.
3. But, the retail price online is less at $X.
4. Yes, I can give you that retail price.
5. I come here all the time to fix this old BWM, can you give me a discount ?
6. yes, I can give you a 15% discount on that price.
7. Thanks.

Sponsored

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
You think Mopar is bad, try BMW.... For BMW, there is no "retail price" that dealers have to top out at, so, they can charge over retail price that is shown on the internet .... So, when you go to the parts dept., here is the discussion.

1. I need part XXXX
2. We have that part for $XX.
3. But, the retail price online is less at $X.
4. Yes, I can give you that retail price.
5. I come here all the time to fix this old BWM, can you give me a discount ?
6. yes, I can give you a 15% discount on that price.
7. Thanks.
ive discovered over the years a few BMW dealers on the east coast that bucked this trend, almost like they tried to make selling parts a nice high-volume side business (Tischer is one dealer that comes to mind)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
For the first 6 years of my driving career I had old POS vehicles with no warranties and high-mileage... I had to learn to fix them myself. So, needless to say, I try to avoid the dealerships like the plaque.

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst
I have been back and forth between OEM and after market for both the Jeep and Harley. OEM fit and finish always tops "most" after market parts. Depending on the after market part there is always some type of fitment issue. At the time I bought the 08 JK, Mopar steel bumpers were the only ones that looked decent. The JT has a ton of after market front bumpers but back bumpers are few. Low price uglies to high priced just put a bag over it and go for it! As for lifts. Mopar put on by the factory covers more warrant than any after market lift. Out of warranty, then there are plenty of quality lifts to choose from.

Indavis01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2016 Volvo Xc90 Polestar
Occupation
Finder of bad stuff and people.
Vehicle Showcase
I have been back and forth between OEM and after market for both the Jeep and Harley. OEM fit and finish always tops "most" after market parts. Depending on the after market part there is always some type of fitment issue. At the time I bought the 08 JK, Mopar steel bumpers were the only ones that looked decent. The JT has a ton of after market front bumpers but back bumpers are few. Low price uglies to high priced just put a bag over it and go for it! As for lifts. Mopar put on by the factory covers more warrant than any after market lift. Out of warranty, then there are plenty of quality lifts to choose from.
I put the 2.5-3inch RC lift kit, shocks and springs on my Gladiator, took about 3.5 hours with no shop using floor Jacks and Hand tools, $399. I went by my dealer a month later, was looking at the Gladiator in the showroom while I was waiting. SAME Exact lift Even labeled as Rough Country on the sticker. $2500.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I'm with AL. Mud Machine, my first 4 vehicles was high mileage and no warranty vehicles. I had to fix / maintain. Then I ordered my New MJ in 91 after Desert Storm.... Reasons I know it's maintenance and driving history..... warranty yes, why so I would not need it.
OEM parts, lift, ECT. Good for someone rolling in to payment or lease maybe for some. A lot of people that "modify their vehicle" is drive to shop hand over key / fob pull out C.C. that might make the overpriced stuff a "easy button". Two dealership's I went to have done that to a few vehicles and used as a demo "drive" vehicle. (One did that to Rubicon and base models JK's and JL's and way over priced them too) both had marked them up for over 20-25 k. I about had a heart attack seeing a JKU or JLU listing for 70k plus a year or two back.... After market stuff on it. To include them dub rims and tires :facepalm: as said history repeats itself. Wagon wheels hmmm the term buckboard wagon comes to mind. Model T tires... wash rinse now being repeated.
Sponsored