Sponsored

Own a JT and JL? Notice this power and throttle response difference?

CarolinaGladiator

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Velocity JTR
I've spun the rear wheels several times. Initially I thought the JT was slow and sluggish as well but the more miles I get on it the better it feels (this applies to the downshift jerk people complain about too, mine is gone now). I think it's a combination of the truck learning how I drive and me learning the truck. I babied it a bit when I first got it but now at 3k miles I catch myself driving it like every other vehicle I've ever owned.
Sponsored

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
I REALLY dont want to take i to the dealer but I'm thinking I might have too.
The good news is; more than likely there's nothing wrong with your truck. The JT IS slower than a JLU because it's heavier. A google search on 0-60 times for the two will bear that out.
All JT's are heavier than the JL's, but the difference will vary according to the trip levels of each. The Sport is the lightest (and quickest) JT, followed by the Overland, with the Rubicon being the heaviest (and slowest by a small margin, all other things being equal). Gearing will also make a difference in acceleration.

a_flyboy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
My JTLE seems to be quick to accelerate better than my daughters 18 JLU sport. My wife’s 18 JLU Sahara seems to have more pickup than the sport does. All of them are stock. But between the JL Sahara and the JT, seems pretty close to me. I did notice the JT got better in time (3k miles now).

egs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I went directly from a JLU to a JT with same suspension and same wheels/tires (swapped them over after deal was done) and there was a noticeable sluggishness in the JT.

The JLU actually felt quick. I used my Tazer to do some 0-60 runs one day when I was bored and I put down one run of 6.92 seconds. This was on 35" tires. Not shabby at all.

The JT, on the other hand, feels like a delivery truck. It's not nearly as quick, not even close.

I chalk it up to the 500 lb. weight difference and the 19% shorter axle gears (JT has to shift a lot more).
Soooo...are you missing your JL? I’m considering same but might be getting cold feet due to performance concerns. My JL turbo w 35s still surprisingly quick but love JT look. Ugh. So many decisions!

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Soooo...are you missing your JL? I’m considering same but might be getting cold feet due to performance concerns. My JL turbo w 35s still surprisingly quick but love JT look. Ugh. So many decisions!
Nope, not a day goes by that I miss the JL. The JT is the Jeep they should have been selling since 1987 instead of the Wrangler. It does everything the Wrangler does but then adds 90% more payload and 105% more ability to tow a trailer. It's a no-brainer.

However, it would be nice to have a smaller V8 option like they had on the Dakota. The 4.7L was a nice engine.

Sponsored

Tlhicks

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch edition
Vehicle Showcase
It's awesome to see how many Jeep couples (JT/JL) we have here. My wife has a 2019 JL with the 2.0 turbo, 2 inch Mopar lift and 35" BFG KO2s. I have the JTLE with 2 inch Mopar lift and 37" Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I think her JL is more responsive but she has a turbo, smaller tire and less weight.

20191009_181907.jpg

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
The JT is the Jeep they should have been selling since 1987 instead of the Wrangler. It does everything the Wrangler does
Hey, pump the brakes there fella! lol

it would be nice to have a smaller V8 option like they had on the Dakota. The 4.7L was a nice engine.
Agree here. I loved my 318 (5.2) in my Dakota. The mpg of the 5.7 in the JT would be very similar to the V6, I think.

Logan94605

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Things & Stuff
I honestly don't notice and real difference between my JT and my wife's JLU. I'll try to pay more attention.
I'm just hitting the 500 mile mark on my Mojave and have to say it is improving the more miles I put on it. It started out super sluggish but the mileage is improving and it feels a little more peppy every day! I'm holding out until I get to the 1k mark before I complain about my 13mpg average. ;-P

Logan94605

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Things & Stuff
It's awesome to see how many Jeep couples (JT/JL) we have here. My wife has a 2019 JL with the 2.0 turbo, 2 inch Mopar lift and 35" BFG KO2s. I have the JTLE with 2 inch Mopar lift and 37" Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I think her JL is more responsive but she has a turbo, smaller tire and less weight.

Jeep Gladiator Own a JT and JL? Notice this power and throttle response difference? 20191009_181907
Jeep envy! My partner has a mini and now he wants a Jeep too. haha

oldhp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Galdiator 80th Anniversary
Occupation
Retired
My Overland will spin both rear tires every time about 2 feet. The eight speed trans is awesome. It does have to learn how you drive. It's pretty peppy to me, I floor it, the tach bangs 6600RPM pretty darn fast. It tops out at 110MPH, surprised me. At 3950 miles I'm averaging 19.5 MPG. Color me happy.

Sponsored

Sky Soldier

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon current, sold: 2017 JKU Rubicon Recon, 2007 JKU Sahara, 1995 2dr Sport, 1979 CJ7 AMC 304
Occupation
Retired
I owned a 2017 Wrangler Rubicon Recon prior to my 2020 JTR. Both with the same 3.6 Pentastar engine specs. The Wrangler was a performance disappointment. Slow throttle response.
My Gladiator is jackrabbit quick. Night and day difference. It’s a puzzlement.

Freebooter

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mojave, 2020 124 Spider Abarth
Occupation
Almost Retired
My wife's JL is peppier than my JT. I rack that up to they are totally different vehicles. I do notice they accelerate differently but to me that is expected. The JT has a much different load capacity and tow capacity. I am not sure of the gearing but it is what it is. The JT does seem a little slower but it has plenty of power. I am very happy with both vehicles!

SCRubicon23

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU 2019 JLUR 2020 Gladiator
I have both. My JLUR stays in the shop with top and doors off 90% of the time and my JTR is my dd. I noticed right away that my JL had much better throttle response than my JT. Not sure why the difference other than weight but it is very noticeable.

Tommyd

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Grounds manager
Would have put this in the technical, but not sure where.

The wife has a 19 JL and I have a LE. Going back and forth from them I've noticed a huge difference in power and throttle response in the JT. It almost feels like there is plastic covering the air-box inlet ( I checked for gp). I didn't think there would this big of a difference. Any one else notice it?
What is an LE gladiator? New to me

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
What is an LE gladiator? New to me
"Launch Edition" Gladiator. Was suppose to be 4190 specially built and badged high option Gladiators. When announced at the actual Gladiator launch in early 2019, the impression to many was that this was going to be the first 4190 Gladiators off the assembly line. That was not the case and they were stringing out building these for over a year.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a27007213/2020-jeep-gladiator-launch-edition-one-day-pre-order/
Sponsored