Pentastar V6 idle

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
Curious, does the V6 idle a bit rough? Not bad but mine is noticeable and was just curious if others are that way?
Sponsored

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
Mine is also noticeably rough after starting hot or cold once idle settles. It's also rougher idling in my driveway which has a very steep hill. I legitimately think it's related to pcv and oil blow by that some have reported. I think it sucks oil through the pcv/intake when at a steep angle.

Just a theory and it's not enough to cause problems but I betcha that's it

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Legit got out and put my hand on the engine checking for a misfire after sitting in my parking spot waiting for my scanner to clear all codes. One, don't pull the passenger kick panel grey connector with the ignition in 'run' (47 codes later...) and two, this engine runs rough but it's consistent. Can definitely feel it in the seat.

mr_bots

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Seems smooth most of the time but does stumble here and there almost like it if it kept going it'd stall out. Seems the PCM drops idle a little too much then raises it back a little and it smooths out. Definitely idles smoother than my Frontier did though.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
My Frontier and Xterra, both had the 4.0VQ, had rough idles even when new. My Gladiator's idle is smooth. You can barely tell its running. Its almost as smooth as the 3.6l in my 2017 Canyon, you cannot tell if its running/idling from inside without looking at the tachometer.

Sponsored

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Hi All,

If anyone is concerned about the idling and would like to have this checked out by their dealer, please message us if you set up an appointment. We can have this documented on your behalf and offer additional support while in service.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Mine is occasionally a little "off" right after starting, but not a big deal. It settles down. I don't think it's anything to be concerned about. This engine is so much quieter than the JK, that I think I just notice the idle more.

OP
OP
JTPatriot

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
Thanks you Darlene I will keep that in mind. Like the others are saying it is not bad but it just surprised me that it seemed rough, It does not affect anything as of yet. I will keep an eye on it and see if it gets worse and then may take you up on the offer.

furrymurray

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator SG Rubicon
My JT idles a little rough and then it gets really rough like something is caught in the fan. I had my dealer look at it and they gave me some crap about still using winter gas because of Covid-19. They said that summer gas has not been shipped out to stations yet and that's why it idles rough. Its not throwing any codes but this sure does not seem normal. I have never owned a vehicle Jeeps included that idled this bad.

pdril

First Name
tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator rubicon
Occupation
nuclear chemist
Curious, does the V6 idle a bit rough? Not bad but mine is noticeable and was just curious if others are that way?
my 2 week old gladiator v6 idles a bit rough in the jeep but the same engine in my ram 1500 is as smooth as silk. i noticed the engine idle rpm seems to be lower in the jeep. all and all, i think the 3.6 pentastar is the best engine jeep has ever had.

Sponsored

jcor8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
My JT idles a little rough and then it gets really rough like something is caught in the fan. I had my dealer look at it and they gave me some crap about still using winter gas because of Covid-19. They said that summer gas has not been shipped out to stations yet and that's why it idles rough. Its not throwing any codes but this sure does not seem normal. I have never owned a vehicle Jeeps included that idled this bad.
Some of these dealer reps should be writers for Disney Studios.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
Some of these dealer reps should be writers for Disney Studios.
The dealers are only relaying what the manufacturers are stating. There's actually a service bulletin stating as much.

e36racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, E36 BMW M3, E92 BMW M3
I think mine shakes a bit a idle, and makes more noise than I'd expect. However, I'm coming from 20+ years of driving BMWs so I chalk it up to the fact it's not a German motor and it shouldn't be expected to balance a champagne flute when running and make very little mechanical noise. A buddy of mine thinks his is excessive, but the shake and sound is identical to mine, so I think it's normal. I guess it's a bit subjective since the hardness/stiffness of the motor mounts can affect the amount of movement/shake at idle. And some motors just make more mechanical noise than others. In this day in age motors tend to be pretty quiet, but that's not to say they all are. Granted, if it's making more of a knocking sound or something along those lines, that's a different story, but a little bit of ticking isn't a big deal. I wouldn't sweat it unless you have a discernible miss at idle, or any running condition for that matter. An issue will most likely trigger the CEL too, or at least store a code.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Hmm, I have an E89, now I need to go compare the two. And where are my damn champagne glasses??
Sponsored