First Name
Guillermo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
IT
My JT runs rough at idle from time to time, dealer says there is nothing they can do since there is no engine trouble codes on the PCM. I had a 2016 JKU with the 3.6 that ran super smooth, I started to feel the rough idle around 1,200 miles now it has 4,000 miles. My brother has a 2018 JLUR and is smoother that my JT. I have tried different fuels and octane rating with no change, did a oil change with no change, I do notice it more when the A/C is ON on MAX. I also feel the steering getting heavy when the idle is rough and turning the wheel while standing still in gear.

I hope that FCA finds something about the matter and issues a TSB that I could bring to the dealer, maybe a PCM reprogram could be the fix.
Sponsored

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
I've noticed a "rough" idle until the engine warms up. I use the term rough very loosely because it is nowhere near feeling like a misfire. Once its up to running temp it is very smooth at idle.

Edit: odo is just under 5k miles

Last edited:

jeepdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland Gator , 91 Grand Wagoneer, 1964 CJ3B, 1967 Kaiser Jeep M715, two unrestored 1956 Willys Pickups
^^^^ Post above describes mine very accurately. Only 3000 miles on it so far.

OP
OP
JTPatriot

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
Curious to know of the ones that are having a rough idle with no cel. What is your cold and warm idle speed? Could some of the rough idle be to low of an idle speed?

Mine seems to be getting less as it breaks in. I am still under 500 miles and to honest I have not even looked at my idle speed.

CookieSoup

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I've noticed a "rough" idle until the engine warms up. I use the term rough very loosely because it is nowhere near feeling like a misfire. Once its up to running temp it is very smooth at idle.

mines the same alittle shacky when cold but once warm its fine. i fee like it should stay at 1,000 RPM for like 90 seconds longer before dropping to what like 600

Sponsored

OffRoadMonkey

First Name
Guillermo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
IT

Definitely the rough idle is more noticeable on a cold engine, watching the temp gauge closely, as soon as it hits the normal level the roughness goes away like 90% but I do feel it on a Auto start/stop re start for a few seconds and if I am over 30 minutes on idle sometimes it gets as the cold start, it is really noticeable when 4 low is fighting the brakes on a slight incline, but again is hit or miss on mine and I can not find how to replicate it to be able to explain it at the dealership. I will rack up some more miles and monitor if it gets worse. On the flip side my 1998 Jeep XJ has a smoother idle overall and the 4.0L is a tractor engine :LOL::muscle:.

Br4hm4

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT OE, 2016 Polaris Slingshot, 2012 Kia Sportage, 2018 Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Linux Engineer
I was noticing it more and more this weekend. It was rough after I started it...smoothed out, but it seems like pretty much any time the Auto Start/Stop kicks in, after it starts back up the idle is rough and one time felt like the RPM dropped enough to almost stop the engine again.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
Possibly running a little rich while in open loop?

oldhp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Galdiator 80th Anniversary
Occupation
Retired
2018 RAM 1500 3.6 smooth as silk idle, winter cold or summer heat. Could it be that the 2020's have a EGR valve now and this is the problem? Mine has gotten better, but hunts around for smooth idle.

mr_bots

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
2018 RAM 1500 3.6 smooth as silk idle, winter cold or summer heat. Could it be that the 2020's have a EGR valve now and this is the problem? Mine has gotten better, but hunts around for smooth idle.
That's a interesting theory. Maybe I'll bust my BlueDriver out and tinker with it to see what variables are floating around when it stutters a bit. Could definitely be a delay between an adjustment of the EGR valve and throttle plate. Hopefully it'll also pick up when it switches valve lift, I'm curious how often it bounces between the sets of lobes.

Sponsored

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Now, I'm starting to notice an intermittent rough idle on mine. It seems to be most prevalent on hot days when I first start it up. It was running horribly on Sunday at the beach after it sat for several hours. It was bad enough that I thought it was going to stall so I put it in neutral and let it rev for like 30 seconds and it was still rough, but idling better. it wasn't till after I drove it for a while that it went back to normal. If it ever runs that badly again, I'm going to have to take it in. I was all the way down at the end of the Offroad Vehicle Beach access at Ft Fisher so that would have been a fantastic spot for a break down. I'm hoping it was just a fluke from sitting out in the salty air on the beach for several hours.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
Maybe the flash for the P0300 will help. Can't hurt.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Mine will stutter when coming back from start/stop. I usually turn that off but sometimes I forget and I haven't flashed it yet

JDLouisville

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Once warm, what are y‘all idling at?
my JLs and JKs were around 800 rpm, Gladiator is 500-600

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S.
1800 miles, haven't noticed any idling issues.
Sponsored