First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR, 22 JL 4xe
Occupation
Self Employed
Has anyone seen a mount that can attach at the rear view mirror??? I have a camper shell on the back and the rear view mirror is useless now. It would be nice to have small tablet or phone turned sideways there.
Sponsored

arsy51

First Name
arsy51
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Overland - Hydro Blue; '02 Honda RC51 SP2
Vehicle Showcase
I was hesitant, but I got this from Amazon - works great! I did find many different models that did NOT seem to support Jeep head units.

Jeep does not yet have wireless CarPlay head units so it’s either plug in or do something like this.

It takes about 15 seconds to connect to the unit/CarPlay once the initial pairing is done. NO audio issues at all. Excellent phone operation, great map integration.

BTW - iPhone 11

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MT96H2D/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_EKES0026SYGH14FR9WXV?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
@JeffInFLA Good to know. I just spent a nice chunk of change on a RAM Mount Tough Track, track balls, and arms, but may now return it. Being able to have this sit in the center console and out of the way and not have any more wires cluttering things up is an ideal solution for me.

JeffInFLA

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
@JeffInFLA Good to know. I just spent a nice chunk of change on a RAM Mount Tough Track, track balls, and arms, but may now return it. Being able to have this sit in the center console and out of the way and not have any more wires cluttering things up is an ideal solution for me.
I love it. Seamless integration. One note though… do NOT try to update the software on the device if everything is working well. I did that, thinking there may be new features and I ended up bricking the damn thing!

While this was TOTALLY my fault, the company sent me a new one, which was awesome.

arsy51

First Name
arsy51
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I love it. Seamless integration. One note though… do NOT try to update the software on the device if everything is working well. I did that, thinking there may be new features and I ended up bricking the damn thing!

While this was TOTALLY my fault, the company sent me a new one, which was awesome.
Yeah, I saw you comment about that. Good customer service!

In the meantime, I just got the RAM Mount Tough-Track, a few Track Balls w/ T-Bolts, used an existing double-socket arm + x-grip (for the GF's phone when she's driving), and the new double-socket arm for a QuadLock mount (for my phone when I'm driving, I use the same QuadLock case for my phone to attach to my motorcycle). Snapped a photo with both phones in place, but will usually not be driving around with both. Only thing that partially obstructs our view (we're both shorties @ 5'8") is the dashcam, which, unfortunately, I cannot mount to the RAM system due to how the camera is oriented. Planning on getting that wireless CarPlay unit you linked to and will be removing both phone mounts altogether in the near future.

Off-topic: I'm still not sure about the dashcam's placement yet, I had it behind the rear-view mirror in our old Wrangler. Trying to come up with better wire management for it.

Jeep Gladiator Phone Solutions 2021-05-24 18.01.10

Jeep Gladiator Phone Solutions 2021-05-24 18.02.27

02sahara

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Willys Gladiator
Occupation
Construction
Yeah, I saw you comment about that. Good customer service!

In the meantime, I just got the RAM Mount Tough-Track, a few Track Balls w/ T-Bolts, used an existing double-socket arm + x-grip (for the GF's phone when she's driving), and the new double-socket arm for a QuadLock mount (for my phone when I'm driving, I use the same QuadLock case for my phone to attach to my motorcycle). Snapped a photo with both phones in place, but will usually not be driving around with both. Only thing that partially obstructs our view (we're both shorties @ 5'8") is the dashcam, which, unfortunately, I cannot mount to the RAM system due to how the camera is oriented. Planning on getting that wireless CarPlay unit you linked to and will be removing both phone mounts altogether in the near future.

Off-topic: I'm still not sure about the dashcam's placement yet, I had it behind the rear-view mirror in our old Wrangler. Trying to come up with better wire management for it.

My dash cam is behind the mirror. The power wire runs over the drivers side up in the plastic and down the A pillar to the OBD2 port. Took about 5 minutes to run the wire that way and you hardly can see the camera or the wire.

Sponsored

arsy51

First Name
arsy51
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My dash cam is behind the mirror. The power wire runs over the drivers side up in the plastic and down the A pillar to the OBD2 port. Took about 5 minutes to run the wire that way and you hardly can see the camera or the wire.
Sorry for going off topic here, but your dashcam plugs into the OBD2 port? Mine is USB and my USB cable isn't long enough (it's 12', maybe 15'?) to get to the cigarette lighter port (where I have a USB adapter), which is why I currently have it mounted so low. I'm on the search for an 18' USB A to USB Mini cable.

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
I am very confused by your solution. Don't you use 4wd? It looks like a rubicon... also you are only charging with that cigarette lighter port - the media port to the right connects to the UConnect screen - which includes Apple Car Play and Android Auto... don't you use those apps? And your solution looks like it would leave a permanent mark in the shift nob for the transfer case. And finally - I think having a weight on the end of your transfer case lever is probably not a good idea for the same reason that drivers are encouraged NOT to rest their hand on the shift lever of a manual transmission. At least the current JT6MT is cable operated so probably not a big deal but the transfer case lever is a direct link to the shift forks in the transfer case. I think...

Am I missing something here? Don't get me wrong - you do you of course. Not my place to criticize. But IMHO it seems like there are other better or more useful options...

02sahara

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Willys Gladiator
Occupation
Construction
Sorry for going off topic here, but your dashcam plugs into the OBD2 port? Mine is USB and my USB cable isn't long enough (it's 12', maybe 15'?) to get to the cigarette lighter port (where I have a USB adapter), which is why I currently have it mounted so low. I'm on the search for an 18' USB A to USB Mini cable.
Search for Apeman CH45 hardwire kit. There are many others but it’s worked so far for me.

Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
I found my solution:

RAM 1" tough-ball with 1/4-20 thread 1/2 inch length mounted into the passenger grab bar. Model is RAP-B-379U-252050. Purchased from OC Mounts for $8.99 plus $2.85 shipping. This was a much better price than the CMM ball.

I am using this with the RAM short double socket arm and the RAM Quick Grip XL phone holder with ball. I bought those together from Amazon for $15 and $24, respectively.

Now that I know the RAM ball fits the grab bar, I plan to buy another for the right side for a passenger to hold their phone or for an additional cup holder.

I understand that the threading of the RAM tough ball doesn't match the factory bolt, but it fits nice and snug.
r
Does anyone know if the leather wrapped dash has these same bolts for a mount like this, just hidden behind the leather.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Has anyone seen a mount that can attach at the rear view mirror??? I have a camper shell on the back and the rear view mirror is useless now. It would be nice to have small tablet or phone turned sideways there.
Thread I made a while ago for the same reason hoping you don't have the forward radar unit up there. It's been an outstanding solution for me but there's not a lot of room for a tablet... I have my kenwood ham head unit and it works nicely.

Rear-view mirror RAM ball installation | Jeep Gladiator Forum - JeepGladiatorForum.com

Last edited:

slapshota10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Mojave; 2008 Honda S2000
Occupation
Pilot
I went with the Bulletproof mount. It's great, here's a couple of pics on how I hid the 15' USB cord. Use the Armrest port and run the cable out the side slot and down by the seat
Jeep Gladiator Phone Solutions BP1

2. Tuck the cord under the center console and work your way toward the front to come out behind the steering column. (You can see a little bit of it here, but I pushed it back in after the picture)
Jeep Gladiator Phone Solutions BP2

3. Remover the lower cover under the steering wheel and keep the slack there until you know how much cord you want to use. When done zip tie it up there.
Jeep Gladiator Phone Solutions BP3

4. Run the cord up the A-pillar and push the cord into the seam between the plastic and the frame.
Jeep Gladiator Phone Solutions BP4

5. Push the cord through by the dash and behind the speaker.
Jeep Gladiator Phone Solutions BP5

6. Run the cord along the back of the dash in space between the window and dash.
Jeep Gladiator Phone Solutions BP6

Piece of cake!

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator 80th Anniversary
I went with the Bulletproof mount. It's great, here's a couple of pics on how I hid the 15' USB cord. Use the Armrest port and run the cable out the side slot and down by the seat
BP1.jpg

2. Tuck the cord under the center console and work your way toward the front to come out behind the steering column. (You can see a little bit of it here, but I pushed it back in after the picture)
BP2.jpg

3. Remover the lower cover under the steering wheel and keep the slack there until you know how much cord you want to use. When done zip tie it up there.
BP3.jpg

4. Run the cord up the A-pillar and push the cord into the seam between the plastic and the frame.
BP4.jpg

5. Push the cord through by the dash and behind the speaker.
BP5.jpg

6. Run the cord along the back of the dash in space between the window and dash.
BP6.jpg

Piece of cake!
What length cable did you use?

Edit: nvm I see now haha. Thanks for the walk thru.

badgercheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Wrangler X (Gladiator purchase planned for 2021)
I could not believe the price of phone/camera mounting solutions, so I built my own. Let me know what ya think. Happy to answer questions.
Sponsored