Sponsored

Poor design, rain gutter over front doors.

firemedic2714

First Name
Scotty P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Rubicon, 19 Genesis G70, 1972 Ford LTD coupe
Occupation
Firefighter / Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
I have these (see photo) and they've slowed the stream down to a drip. The directions say to apply RTV to the spot where this piece meets the gutter. I have both tops so I can't do that. I haven't done it yet, but I was going to apply a small bead of silicone and mold it to where the Freedom Panel and soft top frame piece meet the diverter and see if that further slowed water flow. For $11, they're definitely worth it just to slow it down to a drip.

Screenshot_20210919-112607_eBay.jpg
Sponsored

tcass

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S
Exactly! You described it perfectly. It is not just after sitting parked, it happens when driving in the rain and stopping to leave the truck.
interesting, i don't have that apparatuses on my 2021. what model do you have? i have the high altitude.

tcass

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S
I have these (see photo) and they've slowed the stream down to a drip. The directions say to apply RTV to the spot where this piece meets the gutter. I have both tops so I can't do that. I haven't done it yet, but I was going to apply a small bead of silicone and mold it to where the Freedom Panel and soft top frame piece meet the diverter and see if that further slowed water flow. For $11, they're definitely worth it just to slow it down to a drip.
is it just me.....i dont see a photo.

Sponsored

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
The drips into the cabin used to annoy me too (including on the past JK) but now I just get into the cab quicker and close the door, and from there the experience is still far better than it is in my wife's drip-free mini van.

OP
OP

WendyH

First Name
Wendy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Purchasing Agent
It's the price you pay for a folding windshield.
I had a 2003 WranglerX that had a folding windshield, I never had this problem. It must be a design change

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I had a 2003 WranglerX that had a folding windshield, I never had this problem. It must be a design change
It's nothing to do with the windshield. IT's the freedom panels, the slope of the gutters. On most cars or trucks that still have conventional "rain gutters" the gutters take the rain back to the quarter panel or to the A pillar and down. These channels stop abruptly over the door opening - so you can remove the panels.
It's the price paid for removable panels, removable roof - and a Jeep shape.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜06 CRV, ā€˜14 Mazda3, ā€˜20 JTR (Gator)
It's nothing to do with the windshield. IT's the freedom panels, the slope of the gutters. On most cars or trucks that still have conventional "rain gutters" the gutters take the rain back to the quarter panel or to the A pillar and down. These channels stop abruptly over the door opening - so you can remove the panels.
It's the price paid for removable panels, removable roof - and a Jeep shape.
Actually - all the old CJā€™s had a gutter extension down the side of the windshield which I am sure was removed for the sake of mpgā€¦. All the aftermarket solutions seem to lean toward adding that gutter back.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Actually - all the old CJā€™s had a gutter extension down the side of the windshield which I am sure was removed for the sake of mpgā€¦. All the aftermarket solutions seem to lean toward adding that gutter back.
That's about the only way I could think of to deal with it.........
MPG - and perhaps noise. It does lead to wind noise. Several people I know of have removed the rain gutters/drip rails from their classics and some said one of the differences aside from the cleaner look was - noise reduction. (I hate the look on the classics, but whatever)
That thing sticking out there not only catches wind but it disturbs the air flowing down the side and has impact on drag of the whole side.
So your MPG point is well taken.
But it would also take some doing to make it continue forward and have a removable panel unless there was some sort of flexible seal there.
Sponsored