Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rublicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Enginerd
The first year of this build, was done out of my apartment. Fortunately, I now have a garage and things are much easier to work on. I'm looking forward to tackling more big projects! Hopefully some of the lessons learned will help others, this community has certainly been super helpful to me so far.

The truck as of today:

Jeep Gladiator Practical Truck for the Over Prepared Woman IMG_1606

List of modifications so far:

Steering:
Fusion 2.5 ton tie rod and drag link
TMR double sheer steering bracket
PSC Steering Assist
Synergy frame side trackbar reinforcement bracket
TMR Axle side trackbar bracket

Suspension:
Rock Krawler Pro-X Kit 4.5"
Fox 2.0 Performance Shocks, from Accutune
Artec Fender Liners
Custom / RockJock Rear Sway Bar
RockJock Front Sway Bar

Protection:
Genright Front and Back bumpers
Artec Aluminum Skid Plates
Artec Front Axle Skid and Truss
Motobilt Differential Covers
Rear Frame-side LCA skids

Drivetrain:
Artec Axle Truss and Axle Skids
Adams 1350 Driveshafts (front and back)
RCV Front Axle Shafts
Dana Chromoly Rear Axle Shafts
Reid Racing Knuckles
Synergy Ball Joints
5.38 Gears - Yukon

Lighting:
KC Rock lights
KC Pro6 Lights

Under Hood:
Hauk Snorkel, modified
Genesis Dual Battery, converted to single battery
MBPR exhaust + Vibrant Resonator

Wheels:
40" Cooper SST Pros
Method 703s
Spidertrax Spacers

Sound Proofing:
Sound Assassin Strips for Hardtop
Cover King inside hardtop cover
Sound Assassin full floor package

Air System:
Viair 485 Compressors
Aluminum Air Tank

Storage:
<3 Blue Ridge Overland Gear

Inside Stuff:
Invicus Grab Handles
MXT MicroMobile Radio

Custom Stuff:
Air Outlet in front cowl
3d Printed Replacement covers for dash
Aluminum brackets for wiring under hood
Aluminum brackets for air system
Aluminum bracket to mount winch electronics
Aluminum bed storage for air system
Trimmed 7 Inches from Bed
Aluminum Light Bracket for Fog/Dust Lights
Front axle steering/sway component mounts
Things that have been replaced as part of weight loss saga:
Ace Bumper
Ace Sliders (gap after removing Rubicon bars)
Artec Rear Bumper
DiamondBack Cover
Rubicon Rails (front and back)
Maximus 3 air cradle
KC Overhead Light Bar
Mopar Towing bar

Parts Replaced Because I found better:
SteerSmarts Trackbar Brace
SteerSmarts Draglink and Trackbar "bars"

Next up:
Cutting the bed again
Redoing paint on bed (learned a couple things)
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kindafearless

Kindafearless

First Name
Elise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Enginerd
Three lessons learned from these modifications:

1: Donā€™t use a power ratchet at high speed to get the body bolts off. It seems like the speed can break the inserts up.

I found that if it starts spinning, you can pull on the bolt from the washer while ratcheting and this helps. Also tried some suggestions elsewhere in the fo rum of letting it sit and coming back to a bolt to let the heat dissipate. Together this helped me get the bolt I screwed up with a power ratchet off.

2: The Ace bumper doesnā€™t cover the sway bar disconnect.

I find that the rampage skid plate will work with the Ace bumper with only a little grinding.

Jeep Gladiator Practical Truck for the Over Prepared Woman C07E75E2-FBA1-45CE-A6FB-ED9F57F5895C

3: The Ace bumper didnā€™t have room for the factory LED fog lights and the Warn Xeon winch.

To fix this, I cut the plastic plug shaft off the LEDs and soldered the wiring harness to it. Then heat shrunk covered it, added dielectric grease and put wiring harness tape over it. This held well until I replaced it. Even survived some mud baths and rainstorms without shorting.

Sponsored

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
Very nice. Have not seen a KC light bar like that for awhile.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
How do you like the ATS?

OP
OP
Kindafearless

Kindafearless

First Name
Elise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Enginerd
How do you like the ATS?
The ATS is solid. Itā€™s an important part of the first experiment I tried.

I was looking to reduce some of the steering ā€œfloatā€ from bigger tires. I definitely went a little too far and the ATS helped save me from myself.

This is my first ā€œbigā€ wheeled truck. Family, friends, and research scared me a bit into thinking that big tires on small wheels would have a super loose feel.

To counteract this, I tried the 20 inch wheels and picked the E rated Maxxis Razrs with their stiffer sidewalls. I definitely got it more connected to the ground :/ 10 inch width wheels on 12.5ā€ wide tires puts a lot of rubber in contact with the pavement. The downside is how much influence the road has over you.

The ATS really helps cut the jerk of I driving through a pothole or deep puddle.

I also like it much better after itā€™s been relocated. The stock bracket didnā€™t perfectly fit the mounting point below the axle, I had to do a little cutting to make the bracket fit and still had a scare with one of the bolts trying to cross thread on me.

Note for relocating: The ATS needs a flush mount bolt on the side that mounts to the tie rod. Most of the tie rod brackets donā€™t come with this. Steer Smarts sells one if you dig through the accessories page on their site if you are ok pay $10 for a bolt.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
The ATS is solid. Itā€™s an important part of the first experiment I tried.

I was looking to reduce some of the steering ā€œfloatā€ from bigger tires. I definitely went a little too far and the ATS helped save me from myself.

This is my first ā€œbigā€ wheeled truck. Family, friends, and research scared me a bit into thinking that big tires on small wheels would have a super loose feel.

To counteract this, I tried the 20 inch wheels and picked the E rated Maxxis Razrs with their stiffer sidewalls. I definitely got it more connected to the ground :/ 10 inch width wheels on 12.5ā€ wide tires puts a lot of rubber in contact with the pavement. The downside is how much influence the road has over you.

The ATS really helps cut the jerk of I driving through a pothole or deep puddle.

I also like it much better after itā€™s been relocated. The stock bracket didnā€™t perfectly fit the mounting point below the axle, I had to do a little cutting to make the bracket fit and still had a scare with one of the bolts trying to cross thread on me.

Note for relocating: The ATS needs a flush mount bolt on the side that mounts to the tie rod. Most of the tie rod brackets donā€™t come with this. Steer Smarts sells one if you dig through the accessories page on their site if you are ok pay $10 for a bolt.
cool. Im going with the standard fox one for now. Debating the ATS once i upgrade the tie rod assy

OP
OP
Kindafearless

Kindafearless

First Name
Elise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Enginerd
Very nice. Have not seen a KC light bar like that for awhile.
Right! I <3 it. The rectangular light bars perform great and offer a lower profile I'm sure, but I just don't like the look of them. Sometimes we have to make sacrifices for aesthetic :) These are crazy bright though, and I like that the light bar can be added to or separated when I inevitably change my mind over time.

Sponsored

MoparToYou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Nicely done Elise!

How about a side photo showing the Motobilt and Artec armor?

OP
OP
Kindafearless

Kindafearless

First Name
Elise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Enginerd
Here is a picture of the Motobilt rocker panels. They are painted the same color as the Jeep to blend in.

Iā€™ll take a picture of the skid plates next time I roll under the truck.

Jeep Gladiator Practical Truck for the Over Prepared Woman 555DB410-7495-4EA3-8249-62F6FECB992B

Also, just got my rock sliders and other parts back from the powder coating shop today with the new color. Really excited to get them all reinstalled.

1 of 13 pieces done.

Jeep Gladiator Practical Truck for the Over Prepared Woman B74736F5-CE2A-4422-A1AE-67B46ED9EB44

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
I'm curious, are you doing a fender chop, otherwise why the fender liners?

Second, I think a narrower wheel tucked in more with a softer side wall will improve ride. The current set up must track pretty hard.

Nice build, I'd like to see more of the air system and how you plumbed it

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜06 CRV, ā€˜14 Mazda3, ā€˜20 JTR (Gator)
Nicely done. Like the colors, more pics please! And details on the various mods done! Sounds like you ran into some snags along the way - always good to hear how you recovered on those .

OP
OP
Kindafearless

Kindafearless

First Name
Elise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Enginerd
I'm curious, are you doing a fender chop, otherwise why the fender liners?

Second, I think a narrower wheel tucked in more with a softer side wall will improve ride. The current set up must track pretty hard.

Nice build, I'd like to see more of the air system and how you plumbed it
I havenā€™t decided what Iā€™m doing with the fenders yet. I quite like the aluminum fenders from Genright, but want to see what the wheels distance looks like once Iā€™ve swapped out the current wheels and moved to 37s.

As for why I did the liners. The aluminum liners provide nice inner tire tuck and are easy to remove to take things apart.

I think you are right on the wheels. Right now Iā€™m leaning toward the Method 703s with Toyo Open Country RT. They are going to be pushing it on backspacing, but hopefully they will work.

Will get to the air system next :)
Sponsored