Progress of building and delivering the Eco-Diesel

Schreconjeep

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 StingGray JTRD, '09 Prius, '15 Odyssey
I have a travel trailer on order scheduled to come off the line in Indiana 8/23. Wish I could just pick up the Jeep in Toledo, drive the 2.5hrs to Indiana and skip the shipping/transport of both...
Ship est. 9/1 2:00am
We are also looking into new travel trailers. That would be an awesome road trip.
Sponsored

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Yeah, I’m hoping the recent delay in shipping was due to backlog and should be more on track by the end of August. Either way, I’m glad it’s not going to be October.
Just for reference my truck just arrived last week. My dealer said they have 30+ vehicles that are built, but they are all sitting either in the shipping yard or in the rail yard. There aren't enough transporters to get things moved around and the trains are backlogged.

Keep in mind, I'm out in the wild west, so it's possible that your situation might not be as dire as mine.

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
Just for reference my truck just arrived last week. My dealer said they have 30+ vehicles that are built, but they are all sitting either in the shipping yard or in the rail yard. There aren't enough transporters to get things moved around and the trains are backlogged.

Keep in mind, I'm out in the wild west, so it's possible that your situation might not be as dire as mine.
Good for @Schreconjeep and I that we are closer to Toledo but just far enough away that they have to go by train (All CSX routes, yours have to switch over to BNSF or Union Pacific along the way). My last Jeep order took about 8 days to ship from Detroit (Jefferson North) but that one had to be trucked to Delaware. This dealer is only about 30 min away from the rail yard. I would love to have mine by labor day but I don't think that is going to happen.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I live in northern New Mexico, but my dealer is 430 miles away in Utah. I was planning to take a one-way rental to Utah until I found out that Enterprise isn't allowing one-way drop offs at many of their locations, plus the locations I wanted to travel to are temporary closed due to COVID-19. So, I'm paying to have my truck transported from Utah to New Mexico, which happened to be cheaper than getting a rental and staying one night in a hotel. My truck is waiting for a transporter to head south to I-40. If everything works out, I might take delivery of it by the end of next week! Considering I placed the order on 03/03/2020, this has been a long wait!

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I live in northern New Mexico, but my dealer is 430 miles away in Utah. I was planning to take a one-way rental to Utah until I found out that Enterprise isn't allowing one-way drop offs at many of their locations, plus the locations I wanted to travel to are temporary closed due to COVID-19. So, I'm paying to have my truck transported from Utah to New Mexico, which happened to be cheaper than getting a rental and staying one night in a hotel. My truck is waiting for a transporter to head south to I-40. If everything works out, I might take delivery of it by the end of next week! Considering I placed the order on 03/03/2020, this has been a long wait!
At least you didn't buy it in CA and have to pay a transporter to drag it over the line to Arizona or Nevada to avoid paying CA tax. Hopefully it does not take too much longer for you.

Sponsored

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
At least you didn't buy it in CA and have to pay a transporter to drag it over the line to Arizona or Nevada to avoid paying CA tax. Hopefully it does not take too much longer for you.
Yeah, that would be a mess. I had to pay Utah sales tax, but the dealer will reimburse me after I pay the New Mexico sales tax.

For the most part, I'm mostly patient. You mentioned ordering a travel trailer. I remember when we ordered our Arctic Fox 22G. We placed the order in October of 2014 for a 2016 model. We took delivery in July of 2015. It can take anywhere from 6 - 12 months from order date to delivery date on an Arctic Fox travel trailers/fifth wheels.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Update this morning: D1 to D regression. Went from 8/27 to 9/1 ship date. :-(
The worst is when the truck is completely built and sitting in some shipping yard for 15+ days.

nomoneydown

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Occupation
Real Estate
I have a travel trailer on order scheduled to come off the line in Indiana 8/23. Wish I could just pick up the Jeep in Toledo, drive the 2.5hrs to Indiana and skip the shipping/transport of both...
I'm looking at travel trailers...what did you order? I'm trying to hold off until I see the actual tow/payload numbers.

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm looking at travel trailers...what did you order? I'm trying to hold off until I see the actual tow/payload numbers.
Kodiak Ultra Lite 283BHSL. 5603 dry so we will see what the actual numbers come in at. I don't have high regards for TFL and their statements so I have been keeping an eye on the FCA Gladiator press release feed.

Right now pretty much all you can do is put a deposit in on a trailer that is on order and then decide when it comes in if you want it. Dealers can't keep stock on hand. By my calculations I should be OK with the right balance but I will probably put my JTR pretty close to the legal limits depending on what the GCWR will be. I will still be well below the axle ratings.

I really would prefer not to have a dedicated tow vehicle just for some weekend camping and being on the east coast I don't have many mountain passes to contend with. What amuses me about these published 'tow ratings' is you will more than likely hit the GVWR of the truck well before you hit that 'tow rating' if you have anything beyond a driver in the truck. What I want to know is what the GCWR and the curb weight of a JTR ecodiesel is because all my numbers so far are just guesses based on other models.

Sponsored

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Kodiak Ultra Lite 283BHSL. 5603 dry so we will see what the actual numbers come in at.
Be prepared for the tail wagging the dog effect on a trailer that is 32' feet and 10" inches long. That is way too much trailer for a mid-sized truck. I wouldn't tow that big of a trailer with my 1/2 ton. Loaded, that trailer will be pushing 7,000 lbs.

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Be prepared for the tail wagging the dog effect on a trailer that is 32' feet and 10" inches long. That is way too much trailer for a mid-sized truck. I wouldn't tow that big of a trailer with my 1/2 ton. Loaded, that trailer will be pushing 7,000 lbs.
By loaded you refer to full tanks? I have no intentions on boon docking or long term with this rig. We travel light. I also don't drive fast when towing which makes a huge difference with sway. I also don't tow anything larger than 3k without WDH and sway control. It should be around 6300 max with 650-700 of that on the tongue by my estimates, well within the range of ratings for the chassis/axles. I really don't know why there is so much pushback on anyone wanting to tow more than 5-6K with a Gladiator if it is set up and balanced properly but hey we are all entitled to our opinions and decisions on what we are comfortable with towing. Plenty of people saying it tows larger rigs just fine (even with that underpowered V6).

Ratings are ratings for a reason. I have no intention on exceeding the ratings and that is why I am interested in the GCWR and the curb weight once they are published.

StingrayJed

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Ecodiesel, 2015 JKU Rubicon
Occupation
Parts Director for Luxury vehicles
Ordered a hard loaded Sting Grey Rubicon 7/24 and had a VIN 7/27. hoping for a First week of October delivery.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
By loaded you refer to full tanks?
By loaded, I'm talking about batteries, propane, food, clothing, equipment, and other items. Just the tongue weight alone is going to be too much for the Gladiator, leaving your frontend (steering) to be loose.

Trust me, I do a lot of towing. The high profile design of that trailer is going to keep you white knuckled, especially in a high crosswind. A weight distribution hitch can only do so much. The Gladiator doesn't have the chassis to adequately or safely tow that long of a trailer.

You're problem isn't the engine or transmission, your problem is the truck itself.

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes and like I said I have done the math and 1400lbs is quite a bit more than I plan on loading in there. Your comment about steering does not come into play when a weight distributing hitch is properly set up. I am not trying to get into an argument here and like I said you are entitled to your opinion.
Sponsored