Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup)

drBassman

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator; 2005 VW Passat TDI; Previous: 1978 CJ5; 1997 TJ Sport.
I guess I failed to mention one part did break on me and I have no idea where to get another. Don't know what to call it or where to order one. Will probably cost me...........
Those little black vinyl dots that cover the access hole for the outer door handle screw.
The vinyl dot came off fine but the adhesive stayed on the door.
So the dot came off fine but it's smooth with no adhesive.
That's the only part that broke.
I'd think you could warm the adhesive on the door with a hair dryer--get it gooey & tacky & re-use the "broken" one.

Mine did something similar. You could always use something like these Avery stick-on labels. You'd have a lifetime supply of spares lol.
Sponsored

drBassman

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator; 2005 VW Passat TDI; Previous: 1978 CJ5; 1997 TJ Sport.
Damn, I didn't know these things ran WINDOZE.........

I'm strongly considering AlfaOBD at some point, especially since we always seem to have a couple of Jeeps around.
I used AlfaOBD to activate the passive entry on my Gladiator -- worked like a charm. I had already purchased it so that I could upgrade the Uconnect radio from 7" to 8.4" on my wife's 2020 Compass -- I had to perform "proxy alignment" and AlfaOBD was only tool I could find that would do that for a 2020 Compass. I was happy it also worked on my JT.

AlfaOBD is an unlimited license--it not tied to a particular VIN.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I'd think you could warm the adhesive on the door with a hair dryer--get it gooey & tacky & re-use the "broken" one.

Mine did something similar. You could always use something like these Avery stick-on labels. You'd have a lifetime supply of spares lol.
Unfortunately, the "sticky" was more like a string of snot, there just wasn't more than 1/3 of it left on the truck, either.

But I think the tape idea will work as it will simply replace the "Sticky" that was originally there.
Or the 3M adhesive I have which is used to hold up headliners and other car stuff.
I can put the tape on the back of the black circle, then put that one some of the slick paper my wife uses in projects, cut around it and then apply it like a new decal.

Taking Betts

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 2009 Jeep Wrangler X, 2018 Chevy Impala, 2006 MINI Cooper S JCW
Occupation
Sales
Took the door apart again and checked for anything obvious...nothing. I was just about to ohm out the cable when I decided to de-program passive entry on the Tazer, let it sit for an hour, and re-programmed it. Everything works perfectly now...
Just did the passenger side with proximity...almost embarrassing how easy it went after my struggles getting the drivers side to work.

One note, the drivers side handle requires you to grab the handle and pull it out, push it back in, and pull again for the door to unlock while the passenger side simply requires your fingers to touch the back side of the handle for it to unlock. Must be a sensitivity issue within the handle.

Jimmy07

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 2500 2019 Jeep Cherokee
Just did the passenger side with proximity...almost embarrassing how easy it went after my struggles getting the drivers side to work.

One note, the drivers side handle requires you to grab the handle and pull it out, push it back in, and pull again for the door to unlock while the passenger side simply requires your fingers to touch the back side of the handle for it to unlock. Must be a sensitivity issue within the handle.
There’s definitely something wrong with the hall effect sensor in your driver door handle. They should both work like you say your passenger door handle does.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
There’s definitely something wrong with the hall effect sensor in your driver door handle. They should both work like you say your passenger door handle does.
Yeah, all I do is put my fingers at the back of the handle (either side) and within a second all I have to do is pull on the handle to open. It works like my wife's last 2 or 3 Grand Cherokees - fingers at the back, it unlocks, then pull.

................ you to grab the handle and pull it out, push it back in, ...................
I hope you don't actually mean you have to PUSH it in - it should pop back in by itself when you let go.

Taking Betts

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 2009 Jeep Wrangler X, 2018 Chevy Impala, 2006 MINI Cooper S JCW
Occupation
Sales
Yeah, all I do is put my fingers at the back of the handle (either side) and within a second all I have to do is pull on the handle to open. It works like my wife's last 2 or 3 Grand Cherokees - fingers at the back, it unlocks, then pull.

I hope you don't actually mean you have to PUSH it in - it should pop back in by itself when you let go.
'push' is not what I meant to say, it goes back into position when I release it...

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2018 JLUR, 2023 JTuRD
It is possible to “outrun” the unlock procedure if you just grab the handle and yank on it. It takes a little time for the sequence to complete.

Gregj

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It is possible to “outrun” the unlock procedure if you just grab the handle and yank on it. It takes a little time for the sequence to complete.

Gregj
Yes. I put my fingers back there and hesitate just for about 1 second or less, then it unlocks and I pull as soon as I hear the lock move. You're right - not much time at all but don't grab and pull as you are grabbing. The locks are still mechanical devices and take a tiny bit of time to move, perhaps you put it better - "the sequence to complete" - takes a bit of time. It's not instant, but still better than hitting a fob button.
I'm extremely happy that I have these on my JT now - I know some may see it as silly, but as my wife says - she just leaves her key fob for her GC in a pocket, she never touches it other than to hang it up when she gets home (if she even remembers to do that- I sometimes here "ok, where's my Jeep key")

Taking Betts

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales

Gregj
Agree. The two door handles definitely behave differently, just placing your hand on the drivers side door does nothing until you pull on the handle

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Agree. The two door handles definitely behave differently, just placing your hand on the drivers side door does nothing until you pull on the handle
There is at least a bit of good news for you:
*MOPAR parts come with a warranty,
*Assuming that it is indeed the handle, which is what it pretty much has to be - you can take it off and replace it without doing more than removing that round black vinyl cover again and loosening the torx head screw.

The wire should be plenty long to pull the handle and disconnect the wire (not letting is slip back into the door!!) for replacement or whatever.

Taking Betts

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
There is at least a bit of good news for you:
*MOPAR parts come with a warranty,
*Assuming that it is indeed the handle, which is what it pretty much has to be - you can take it off and replace it without doing more than removing that round black vinyl cover again and loosening the torx head screw.

The wire should be plenty long to pull the handle and disconnect the wire (not letting is slip back into the door!!) for replacement or whatever.
I was thinking about that too...I'll switch handles tomorrow to see if the problem follows the handle/block with magnet. It will be pretty easy to do!

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Try swapping the Door Handle Caps. If that makes no difference, then swap the handles.

Kevin

I see we're thinking alike...

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I was thinking about that too...I'll switch handles tomorrow to see if the problem follows the handle/block with magnet. It will be pretty easy to do!
I was going to ask if you'd consider that and got sidetracked and just posted. Yup - will take you maybe 5 minutes or so - and you can prove the issue that way.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2018 JLUR, 2023 JTuRD
IDK, of the three Jeeps in the driveway, one factory and two DIY Proximity, they all behave the same. If one door is different then something is off. The only difference is how you have the “first push of the unlock button” set in the settings in the radio. In doors and locks you can set what the first push of the unlock button does, one push unlocks the drivers door or all doors.

The drivers door is interpreted as the first push of the button, the other doors are considered the second push. So grabbing the passenger door handle (or the swing gate on a JL) will unlock all doors.
Gregj
Sponsored