Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
That left handle is definitely not sensing his touch behind the handle as it should.
Sponsored

five0.4tluv

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gobi JTR and '17 JKU
Iā€™m wanting to do this. I have a ā€˜20 JTR. I just checked the passenger door side harness and I have a green w/white wire but no green w/yellow. Does this mean I just need to order the whole kit? I already have a Tazer. tia

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m wanting to do this. I have a ā€˜20 JTR. I just checked the passenger door side harness and I have a green w/white wire but no green w/yellow. Does this mean I just need to order the whole kit? I already have a Tazer. tia
Get the kit. 2020 will need the door harnesses, the door handle caps and the handles, like Benny lists for these now.
Tazer will do just fine, jscan, AlfaOBD, and of the three works so you are set if you have Tazer.
Patience is the key - take photos as you pull the door panel off if you are a bit unsure or uncertain, and be patient/careful with the connections (especially those main connections for door harness by the kick panels - some folks have bent pins just putting the doors back in and reconnecting)

five0.4tluv

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gobi JTR and '17 JKU
Get the kit. 2020 will need the door harnesses, the door handle caps and the handles, like Benny lists for these now.
Tazer will do just fine, jscan, AlfaOBD, and of the three works so you are set if you have Tazer.
Patience is the key - take photos as you pull the door panel off if you are a bit unsure or uncertain, and be patient/careful with the connections (especially those main connections for door harness by the kick panels - some folks have bent pins just putting the doors back in and reconnecting)
I haven't checked the body side (interior) for pins 15/16.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2018 JLUR, 2023 JTuRD
Passenger side is green/orange and green/violet. Kind of blurry but here they are.
Jeep Gladiator Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup) 1609522578458

Gregj

Sponsored

five0.4tluv

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gobi JTR and '17 JKU
Passenger side interior plug looks to have 15/16 pins but I'm not seeing green/orange and green/violet on the door side. It looks like I've got grn/white in pin 16
Jeep Gladiator Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup) Image from iOS (1)

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2018 JLUR, 2023 JTuRD
Passenger side interior plug looks to have 15/16 pins but I'm not seeing green/orange and green/violet on the door side. It looks like I've got grn/white in pin 16
Jeep Gladiator Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup) Image from iOS (1)
I went and looked again and donā€™t see a green/white in there. I do see a white/green but it is on the other side of the connector, also a green/blue but it is a heavy gauge wire in the top row.
Gregj

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Chances are you don't have pins 15 & 16 on the door side: that's what the new door harness provides. You can simply look at the connector to see.

Kevin

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Chances are you don't have pins 15 & 16 on the door side: that's what the new door harness provides. You can simply look at the connector to see.

Kevin
I'd be thoroughly shocked if any 2020 JT had those wires in the DOOR harness.
Cabin harness through the dash, yes, door harnesses in the doors, pretty sure that's a negative.

So far no one has found any 2020 JT to have those wires already existing in the DOOR harnesses.

Czajka90

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator, 2016 wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1949 CJ3A
Occupation
Firefighter
Anyone recently get an email with their order having been shipped. I reached out to them a few weeks ago and said they would be expecting more inventory Jan 4th.

Sponsored

JLM007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport S, 1989 YJ (RIP), 1977 J10 (Sold)
Anyone recently get an email with their order having been shipped. I reached out to them a few weeks ago and said they would be expecting more inventory Jan 4th.
I ordered on 12/22 and haven't seen an email come through yet. FWIW, lead time was listed at 4-6 when I ordered so I don't expect mine for a while.

NYC-4X4

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 21 JT Past: 97 ZJ, 14 JKU, 18 WK2
I'd be thoroughly shocked if any 2020 JT had those wires in the DOOR harness.
Cabin harness through the dash, yes, door harnesses in the doors, pretty sure that's a negative.

So far no one has found any 2020 JT to have those wires already existing in the DOOR harnesses.
You mention 2020 specifically. I have a 2021 Sport S being built. Is there a chance that the door harness is already in the door? I looked through this thread and there was some speculation of that, but I could not confirm.

jtforrester

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I've had the proximity locks working for a few weeks now and definitely like having it. I used the Tazer to enable it. I noticed that it does not work exactly like the proximity locks in my wife's Ford Escape. On her Escape, if the doors are not locked and you grab the handle, the doors will not try to unlock. However, on my Gladiator, it will attempt to unlock the doors even if they are already unlocked. Is that how proximity locks work when enabled with Jscan? Is that how the factory proximity locks work? I would prefer if they didn't try to unlock the door when they are already unlocked, but not a deal breaker by any means.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I've had the proximity locks working for a few weeks now and definitely like having it. I used the Tazer to enable it. I noticed that it does not work exactly like the proximity locks in my wife's Ford Escape. On her Escape, if the doors are not locked and you grab the handle, the doors will not try to unlock. However, on my Gladiator, it will attempt to unlock the doors even if they are already unlocked. Is that how proximity locks work when enabled with Jscan? Is that how the factory proximity locks work? I would prefer if they didn't try to unlock the door when they are already unlocked, but not a deal breaker by any means.
Mine only triggers the lights - sensing you opening the truck - but then I think it did that anyway as I approached with fob and opened the door. It doesn't trigger the lock motors themselves - you hear no sound unless I wasn't paying attention. I guess I grab my key, go out to the truck and touch the handle and listen closely.
I used jscan to enable mine.
EDIT - I checked and I apparently grab the handle differently or so fast - I did find if I put my hand behind the handle it does indeed trigger the locks motors if I listen and take my time. I guess when I know it's not locked, I must just grip with fingers and thumb and not fully put my hand in behind the handle, or I do it so very fast......... with my condition, I do thing very fast, automatically and without paying attention. Heck, I even drive home and not recall one lick of the drive home event.

You mention 2020 specifically. I have a 2021 Sport S being built. Is there a chance that the door harness is already in the door? I looked through this thread and there was some speculation of that, but I could not confirm.
The discussion was originally that they no longer differentiate between BSM and non-BSM.
So if you do not have BSM you order the same harness as someone with BSM.

I doubt they'd use the same harness for with passive in a vehicle without as there's not ONLY extra wires, there's also the extra leads and connector that plug into the door handle. It would be more than just an extra wire - but then, hey, they did make the BSM and nonBSM harness the same.
They'd have to tie the extra lead and connector back out of the way in a non-passive entry truck.
There's only ONE WAY to know for sure - check the latest parts listing.
OK, so there's another way - find a 2021 without passive entry, pull the door harness out at the kick panel far enough to look for the extra wires.

Last edited:

Jimmy07

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 2500 2019 Jeep Cherokee
Iā€™ve been adding passive entry to FCA vehicles of all makes and models for years, and not once has the wiring with the connector for the door handle ever been already present in the door harness on a vehicle not factory equipped with passive entry. Itā€™s just not going to happen. If you want an immediate solution for the door harnesses, PM me and I can set you up.
Sponsored