Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve been adding passive entry to FCA vehicles of all makes and models for years, and not once has the wiring with the connector for the door handle ever been already present in the door harness on a vehicle not factory equipped with passive entry. It’s just not going to happen. If you want an immediate solution for the door harnesses, PM me and I can set you up.
Yeah - don't you do the stand-alone harness for this? Simply plug pins into existing kick panel connector, etc. and plug into the handle? I already had mine ordered (and now received and installed) or I would have gone that route for sure. Easier than messing with replacing an entire harness and then having it sitting, going to waste on a shelf.

Now I must decide - have the dealer get the code added to my VIN and then update that in the vehicle so the sales code is in the truck, in case they end up reflashing stuff, etc. - or let it go and put the settings all back again if they reflash things for some reason. I'd not mind having the code in there officially - and on record - make it official....... I would prefer to not 5 years from now have to put it all back if something is flashed or replaced.
Sponsored

Jimmy07

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 2500 2019 Jeep Cherokee
Yeah - don't you do the stand-alone harness for this? Simply plug pins into existing kick panel connector, etc. and plug into the handle? I already had mine ordered (and now received and installed) or I would have gone that route for sure. Easier than messing with replacing an entire harness and then having it sitting, going to waste on a shelf.

Now I must decide - have the dealer get the code added to my VIN and then update that in the vehicle so the sales code is in the truck, in case they end up reflashing stuff, etc. - or let it go and put the settings all back again if they reflash things for some reason. I'd not mind having the code in there officially - and on record - make it official....... I would prefer to not 5 years from now have to put it all back if something is flashed or replaced.
Yes, exactly. I wouldn’t say it’s a huge time saver, just another available option for those that don’t want to wait, and you won’t be left with two entire door harnesses with nothing to do with.

mmatthie

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S
HELP!!!

I currently have my drivers-side door in my living room...which wiring harness is for the drivers side.

I have:
6829 9333 AF - 001
and
6829 9332 AF - 001

HELP!!!

ps...It's 29F degrees outside LOL

mmatthie

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S
HELP!!!

I currently have my drivers-side door in my living room...which wiring harness is for the drivers side.

I have:
6829 9333 AF - 001
and
6829 9332 AF - 001

HELP!!!

Found it:
LF Door Wiring - 68299333AF
RF Door Wiring - 68299332AF

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
HELP!!!

I have:
6829 9333 AF - 001
and
6829 9332 AF - 001

HELP!!!

I planned as it was about 30 when I did mine as well. And I did it out in my garage. I wanted it to go fast and smoothly.
I marked the bags left and right, figure out what I'd need, laid the parts on the left or right side of the truck so as to not get messed up in my head.
I wonder if one way to tell is the fact that you have the mirror controls on the left door, not on the right door.... I never bothered to directly compare the harnesses, but one should have an extra connection and set of wires?

Sponsored

mmatthie

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S
Got it done...my trick was to take the outer door panel off enough to pop the window bolt grommets and lower the window enough to see them...then just brought the doors inside.

Went real well...had no issues with the 10mm bolts for the windows either. Just took my time.

Now to run to my dealership...the guy I bought it from is a Jeep freak too and said just to swing down for the programming.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Got it done...my trick was to take the outer door panel off enough to pop the window bolt grommets and lower the window enough to see them...then just brought the doors inside.

Went real well...had no issues with the 10mm bolts for the windows either. Just took my time.

Now to run to my dealership...the guy I bought it from is a Jeep freak too and said just to swing down for the programming.
Good deal. IMO, the thing with those window regulator bolts is patience, back and forth as needed IF needed. A couple of mine turned straight out - they didn't just spin out, but weren't bad either. The other two I did work back and forth a bit but they also came out fine. I never had enough resistance I thought they were going to snap. IMO those are the hardest part - getting the window to where you want it, getting those out, lifting the window up and taping in place. The rest was literally unsnap the old, snap in the new, button it up.

I was so glad to have them today -we decided we needed more cat litter and I needed more distilled water for my shop plating processes so headed to town. Full cart, walked by the truck toward the back, put my hand back of the door handle and heard the click of the lock motors and kept on walking to open the tailgate and unload the cart. No fumbling for fob or hitting the right button. I even left my gloves on for the whole process (it was 22 degrees out there and we parked a ways out to avoid getting dinged and to get some exercise)

mmatthie

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S
Hey guys and gals...ok need some help...I FINALLY got my Tazer JL Mini...so I could finally enable my proximity feature. It works...BUT...

My passenger door unlocks ALL 4 doors...my driver's side unlocks just the fronts.

Did I just install the handles on the wrong sides???

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys and gals...ok need some help...I FINALLY got my Tazer JL Mini...so I could finally enable my proximity feature. It works...BUT...

My passenger door unlocks ALL 4 doors...my driver's side unlocks just the fronts.

Did I just install the handles on the wrong sides???
Handles dont matter they go on either side. Check the settings in uconnect radio. Pass side will do all, driver side can b set 2 do just driver or all.

mmatthie

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S
Handles dont matter they go on either side. Check the settings in uconnect radio. Pass side will do all, driver side can b set 2 do just driver or all.
I didn't think there were R/L handles...but was just asking. Let me check UConnect settings...thanks!

Sponsored

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
I've had the proximity locks working for a few weeks now and definitely like having it. I used the Tazer to enable it. I noticed that it does not work exactly like the proximity locks in my wife's Ford Escape. On her Escape, if the doors are not locked and you grab the handle, the doors will not try to unlock. However, on my Gladiator, it will attempt to unlock the doors even if they are already unlocked. Is that how proximity locks work when enabled with Jscan? Is that how the factory proximity locks work? I would prefer if they didn't try to unlock the door when they are already unlocked, but not a deal breaker by any means.
The passive entry mod. on my Sport S act exactly as yours do.

Kevin

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The passive entry mod. on my Sport S act exactly as yours do.

Kevin
Apparently they forgot the: if then, else, commands.