Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup)

Burton79

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT
Occupation
Federal Government
The proximity locks and LED package was the difference for me getting a Rubicon instead of a Sport S with the 4.10 ratio.
I got them both in my Sport Freedom Edition with max tow too.

Czajka90

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator, 2016 wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1949 CJ3A
Occupation
Firefighter
Thanks Greg

- Benny
ive read that only late productions gladiators had the wire harness preinstalled abs would only require the handles. My gladiator made 10-19 didn’t not have the wire harness and needed to be switched. Also I found the factory maintenance instructions for removal of the door components including the window. The bolts are not meant to be taken out all the way, only enough to allow the window bracket to slip off the track. The green lock tight it to prevent it from backing out all the way and falling into the door. If you unbolt it to far out it will snap the bolt. Even though I had knew this, I still ended up backing the bolt out to much and snapped a bolt. 2 hours later I was able to extract it and I already bought new bolts ahead of time. A new window track can’t be found in quadratec for $50 dollars.

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
ive read that only late productions gladiators had the wire harness preinstalled abs would only require the handles. My gladiator made 10-19 didn’t not have the wire harness and needed to be switched. Also I found the factory maintenance instructions for removal of the door components including the window. The bolts are not meant to be taken out all the way, only enough to allow the window bracket to slip off the track. The green lock tight it to prevent it from backing out all the way and falling into the door. If you unbolt it to far out it will snap the bolt. Even though I had knew this, I still ended up backing the bolt out to much and snapped a bolt. 2 hours later I was able to extract it and I already bought new bolts ahead of time. A new window track can’t be found in quadratec for $50 dollars.
I'll have to check and see if I already have the harness--my build date is 11/20, it'd be great not to have to buy that.

Interesting, I think one of mine backed out all of the way without issue

Sponsored

Czajka90

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Firefighter
ive read that only late productions gladiators had the wire harness preinstalled abs would only require the handles. My gladiator made 10-19 didn’t not have the wire harness and needed to be switched
I'll have to check and see if I already have the harness--my build date is 11/20, it'd be great not to have to buy that.

Interesting, I think one of mine backed out all of the way without issue

yea sometimes you get Lucy. The green locktight on mine was globbed so. All good and I couldn’t be happier. Thanks allmoparparts

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2018 JLUR, 2023 JTuRD
What Benny and I were discussing is on the Sport S JL there are four wires, two for each door, missing in the dash harness that must be added on top of the door harness and handles. These wires run from connector xy315a in the kick panel to the connector That the door harness connects to.

It *seems* that all Gladiators have these wires in all trim levels.

If anyone has a Gladiator that DID have the correct door harness in it I hope they chime in here.
Gregj

Punknhead

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Question: if I only do the driver side I can still hit the button on the handle twice to unlock all the doors and the tailgate—right? That may be a dumb question. Trying to think through why I would bother doing the passenger side. Thx!

Jimmy07

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 2500 2019 Jeep Cherokee
Question: if I only do the driver side I can still hit the button on the handle twice to unlock all the doors and the tailgate—right? That may be a dumb question. Trying to think through why I would bother doing the passenger side. Thx!
You will still be able to choose between unlock driver or unlock all. The only thing I can think of that *might* happen with only doing one door-
There will be a fault stored in the RF Hub. This might put the fobik safe feature in a failsafe mode. There are some people who lock the doors by pressing the interior door lock switch before they exit the vehicle (instead of exiting first, and pressing the lock button on the exterior handle). When people do this, the fobik safe failsafe mode might kick in and honk the horn, and unlock the doors once the door is shut, because of the fault in the rf hub, it doesn’t want you to lock the fob in the vehicle. There aren’t many who do it this way, but some feel the need for some reason to lock the doors from the inside before they get out.

Whitejeeptj

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ, 2013 F150 FX4, Gladiator Sport S Diesel
Occupation
MRI tech
Has anyone been able to use a Tazer lite to enable this feature? I'm about to order the parts to do this to my Sport S eco.

Sponsored

Punknhead

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You will still be able to choose between unlock driver or unlock all. The only thing I can think of that *might* happen with only doing one door-
There will be a fault stored in the RF Hub. This might put the fobik safe feature in a failsafe mode. There are some people who lock the doors by pressing the interior door lock switch before they exit the vehicle (instead of exiting first, and pressing the lock button on the exterior handle). When people do this, the fobik safe failsafe mode might kick in and honk the horn, and unlock the doors once the door is shut, because of the fault in the rf hub, it doesn’t want you to lock the fob in the vehicle. There aren’t many who do it this way, but some feel the need for some reason to lock the doors from the inside before they get out.
I hadn’t considered that. Maybe I’ll just not be cheap and do both! Thx.

Czajka90

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Firefighter
Kinda unsure of your questions. If this helps when I installed the driver side only, when it I placed my hand on the driver side handle all the doors opened up including the tailgate. When I pressed the black button, I would lock all the doors.

jtforrester

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Has anyone been able to use a Tazer lite to enable this feature? I'm about to order the parts to do this to my Sport S eco.
The Tazer Lite does not include the passive entry enable feature...which is why I upgraded mine to a Tazer Mini.

Punknhead

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kinda unsure of your questions. If this helps when I installed the driver side only, when it I placed my hand on the driver side handle all the doors opened up including the tailgate. When I pressed the black button, I would lock all the doors.
That does help—thanks. Any issues like Jimmy07 mentioned above—a fault that confuses the system so it thinks the key is being locked in the truck?

Czajka90

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Firefighter
That does help—thanks. Any issues like Jimmy07 mentioned above—a fault that confuses the system so it thinks the key is being locked in the truck?
i think this has to do with the locking from the inside. You will notice that without any of the proximity kit install and without the vehicle system being reprogrammed, you cannot lock the doors from inside the vehicle while the vehicle is running with the doors open.
Vehicle off: doors will unlock and lock with doors opened or closed.
vehicle running: doors will lock and unlock with door closed. **** doors will only unlock with door open. It will not lock.
I’m currently testing this theroy while sitting in my gladiator. Just like if you put the vehicle in drive with brake still applied, open the door and the vehicle will lock it set up and require you to shift in to park. You will have to place in park, close door then shift back into drive to get the safety feature to go away. Also put your vehicle in drive and let off the brake, allow the truck to start rolling and the open the door. The vehicle with automatically apply brakes and you will have to do previous stated actions to start moving again. Your dash will also prompt you how to persons such actions
Sponsored