Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup)

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Very new member and Gladiator owner here. I’ve got a 2021 Sports S with Max Tow. I do NOT have wires in space 15 and 16 in the existing wiring coupler in the drivers side door. (As best I can tell the tow package has something to do with this as you can’t even build a sport with max tow and add proximity key)

Can someone please point me to directions for getting around this issue so I can add the aftermarket harness? Many thanks!!,
If you read the JL thread, there are directions on adding those wires.

Kevin

gpwrang33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ 2021 Hydro Blue JTSS MAX TOW
did you already have wires in 15 and 16 on the connector?
which connector are you talking about? the door harness connector or the body side connector? the body side should have the correct wires, i believe all JT's have those wires its the JL's that don't. all you need to do is replace the door harness and add the handles then tell the system that its installed and you should be good to go. i have a 21 sport s max tow and added this awesome feature, works great!

hekhl00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S
I was referring to post #543 in this thread that references a workaround if the pins aren’t there in position 15 and 16. After I looked closer, I do have the pins on the dash side connector so I guess I’m good. Sorry for the noob question and thanks everyone for the quick response. Still fuzzy on how to tell the system they the proximity is there but I’ll get the new harness installed and figure that out later.

Sponsored

Redbear

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I was referring to post #543 in this thread that references a workaround if the pins aren’t there in position 15 and 16. After I looked closer, I do have the pins on the dash side connector so I guess I’m good. Sorry for the noob question and thanks everyone for the quick response. Still fuzzy on how to tell the system they the proximity is there but I’ll get the new harness installed and figure that out later.
You're going to need a tazer or other programmer to tell the system it's installed.

Kewlrobd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Hey Y'all!

Sorry if I missed this info but I don't think I did. Has anyone done this with a Texas Trail edition? I am wondering if that edition has the correct wiring harness pre installed or if I will need to purchase it. If this isn't known I will go ahead and pull off the door panels and report back to this thread.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
You're going to need a tazer or other programmer to tell the system it's installed.
JSCAN, AlfaOBD, Tazer, or other similar software or device.

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR., 2021 JLU Altitude
Occupation
International Banker
I highly doubt it, but if you want to take a look. Did you already check for the pins on the body side harness?

Sponsored

Kewlrobd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
I highly doubt it, but if you want to take a look. Did you already check for the pins on the body side harness?
Yeah I have the pins. I guess I'll have to pull the door apart and find out. From what I understand the texas trail is an elevated version of the Sport s so I am thinking I'll need the harness. I already ordered the drivers side only kit but it supposedly won't ship for 45 days.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I have the pins. I guess I'll have to pull the door apart and find out. From what I understand the texas trail is an elevated version of the Sport s so I am thinking I'll need the harness. I already ordered the drivers side only kit but it supposedly won't ship for 45 days.
Even if it was an Overland or Rubicon, you'd need the door harness. So far as I've seen the door harnesses don't contain the needed connector and extra wires for Passive entry.
Passive entry is an option on Overland - but mine didn't have the door harness for it.

Kewlrobd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Even if it was an Overland or Rubicon, you'd need the door harness. So far as I've seen the door harnesses don't contain the needed connector and extra wires for Passive entry.
Passive entry is an option on Overland - but mine didn't have the door harness for it.
I have read in multiple places, including this thread I think, that some models come with the correct harness.

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR., 2021 JLU Altitude
Occupation
International Banker
Actually easier then pulling the door card come to think of it. Just look at the door side of the body harness, do you have the wires coming out of it that correspond with pins 15\16 on the body side? If they're in the door, that's where they'd start.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have read in multiple places, including this thread I think, that some models come with the correct harness.
Likely referring to the dash harness. There was talk that some Jeeps didn't have the dash harness, some did. That's why there's posts in this thread about which pins to look for on the body harness going through the dash.

I've never seen talk of the door harness having that small connector for the handle and the extra wires leading to it.

Would like to see links where it's said that the Gladiator doors came with the extra wires.
Sponsored