Sponsored

Question about Gladiator Sound System

Jay Gatsby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red JT
The KFC-X3C's came with the crossovers and I mounted them in the dash. RSK had the JL's in the SB.
Sponsored

OnEdge

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1967 Toyota LandCruiser
Occupation
Engineer
The KFC-X3C's came with the crossovers and I mounted them in the dash. RSK had the JL's in the SB.
Ok, cool. Thanks! Iā€™m still waiting for Crutchfield to get the Kenwoods back in stock

OnEdge

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Well, the JL Audio speakers DO NOT actually fit in the soundbar. It's not the mounting tabs that are the problem, but rather the diameter of the speaker frame itself - see below. The dimension shown is too large to fit down into the hole of the soundbar. Maybe my soundbar is slightly different, I don't know, but they definitely don't sit down into the soundbar opening properly. Bummer! I ordered another pair of the Kenwood KFC-X3C's and am returning the JL Audio speakers.

JL_Audio_Speaker.jpg

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator , 2016 Wrangler JK, 2015 Renegade
Occupation
Senior Director of Engineering & Facilities
Well, the JL Audio speakers DO NOT actually fit in the soundbar. It's not the mounting tabs that are the problem, but rather the diameter of the speaker frame itself - see below. The dimension shown is too large to fit down into the hole of the soundbar. Maybe my soundbar is slightly different, I don't know, but they definitely don't sit down into the soundbar opening properly. Bummer! I ordered another pair of the Kenwood KFC-X3C's and am returning the JL Audio speakers.

Jeep Gladiator Question about Gladiator Sound System JL_Audio_Speaker
Jeep Gladiator Question about Gladiator Sound System 1591239613184

The JL Audio C2 350X fit mine and flush. Itā€™s tight for sure, but was able to get them in. They sound great and was a big improvement over stock IMO.

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I just couldnā€™t be happier with the night and day difference. Finally added the Metra JP-1014 6.5ā€ pods and Focal RCX-165 6.5ā€ speakers in the dash knees. Yes, it was a bunch of work disassembling the dash, but so worth it. I also added Hushmat & polyfill inside the Pods. It sounds so much better with the sound stage up front. Think I will hold off on the PAC preamp and Amp upgrade for now. Might swap the 8ā€ sub for a 10ā€ next and see where it goes. Highly recommend this 6.5ā€ modification.

Jeep Gladiator Question about Gladiator Sound System E4E0BF6A-7E0E-4F3A-9CEC-5463F541851B

Jeep Gladiator Question about Gladiator Sound System 8D4E4C29-2A07-4E3A-B0F6-3F72CD6855AA

Jeep Gladiator Question about Gladiator Sound System A4FE58B9-B169-4F41-A21C-3D07F36D1665

Jeep Gladiator Question about Gladiator Sound System 09654036-20E7-4C94-9C22-DEF9E0809D0B

Last edited:

Sponsored

OnEdge

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Jeep Gladiator Question about Gladiator Sound System 09654036-20E7-4C94-9C22-DEF9E0809D0B

The JL Audio C2 350X fit mine and flush. Itā€™s tight for sure, but was able to get them in. They sound great and was a big improvement over stock IMO.
Thatā€™s so weird! Iā€™ll take another look, this time Iā€™ll use calipers and accurately measure the hole and the speaker frame.
Thanks!

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thatā€™s so weird! Iā€™ll take another look, this time Iā€™ll use calipers and accurately measure the hole and the speaker frame.
Thanks!
Itā€™s been a while and going off memory, but I think you get the wire plug hidden into the small opening on one side. Then put the speaker in and finagle with a little twist or orientation. They should fit, but might have to play with it some. Maybe my picture will help. Hope you get them to work.

OnEdge

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Itā€™s been a while and going off memory, but I think you get the wire plug hidden into the small opening on one side. Then put the speaker in and finagle with a little twist or orientation. They should fit, but might have to play with it some. Maybe my picture will help. Hope you get them to work.
Thanks RSK!
Also, did you use bass blockers on those SB speakers?

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks RSK!
Also, did you use bass blockers on those SB speakers?
No, it didnā€™t need it. I did add bass blockers to the Infinity 3.5ā€ in the dash, but they had a popping sound. I took the blockers back off and no popping. Been running without base blockers since December last year with no problems.

Today, Iā€™m going to try (if they fit magnet wise) adding 4ā€ Kicker 46CSC44 speakers in the soundbar. I read by another poster on the JL or JT blog somewhere that they fit and sounded much better than OEM speakers.

Iā€˜ll update on fit and sound quality tonight.

Jay Gatsby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red JT
No, it didnā€™t need it. I did add bass blockers to the Infinity 3.5ā€ in the dash, but they had a popping sound...
Was the popping sound consistent or just when the amp powered on?

Sponsored

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Jay Gatsby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red JT
Just when powering on/off if I remember correctly.
Yeah I'm dealing with that now with my KFC-X3Cs. Double tapping sound when vehicle wakes up. Trying to diagnose. Definitely some interference to crossovers. Didn't happen with the same speakers prior to hooking up crossovers. Just need to determine source. Tks

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
No, it didnā€™t need it. I did add bass blockers to the Infinity 3.5ā€ in the dash, but they had a popping sound. I took the blockers back off and no popping. Been running without base blockers since December last year with no problems.

Today, Iā€™m going to try (if they fit magnet wise) adding 4ā€ Kicker 46CSC44 speakers in the soundbar. I read by another poster on the JL or JT blog somewhere that they fit and sounded much better than OEM speakers.

Iā€˜ll update on fit and sound quality tonight.
Update: Tried the 4ā€ Kicker 46CSC44 in the soundbar today and they fit fine. However, noticed no significant improvement over stock and maybe less impressive than stock. So Iā€™ll be returning those speakers,

Now looking at a potential subwoofer swap from 8ā€ to 10ā€. Might do the SSV 6.5ā€ soundbar conversion or just be happy with the improvements so far for a while. Right now the sound is pretty good.

OnEdge

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks RSK and midironman for the additional information!

I am going out now to install the KFC-X3C's in the dash. I'll measure the 3 1/2" speaker openings in the soundbar as well. I really think the hole is too small for JL's, but I'll measure to make sure before I actually send those back.

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks RSK and midironman for the additional information!

I am going out now to install the KFC-X3C's in the dash. I'll measure the 3 1/2" speaker openings in the soundbar as well. I really think the hole is too small for JL's, but I'll measure to make sure before I actually send those back.
I took another picture for you to see the exact placement clockwise of mine. I was sitting in the rear seat on the drivers side when taking the picture just looking up. The JL Audio letters are closest to the foam insert. I hope that helps with the correct orientation.

Jeep Gladiator Question about Gladiator Sound System B113E951-82F6-4729-9065-07CD346FD77F
Sponsored