First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Wrangler, Gladiator ecodiesel sport
Occupation
Lab manager
My EcoDiesel is about 3,500 miles right now I have a drive from California to Tennessee coming up this weekend. Originally I wanted to get the oil change done before the long drive but it seems all the dealers have no appointments available. Just wanted some opinions if you guys think everything will be good if I waited till I got there to have to oil changed. I plan to top it up before I leave with Motul (2051) 8100 X-Clean 5W-40 Synthetic. My home is right next to gupton motors which has had great reviews on here so I figured I can just get the change there. Sorry for the pretty basic questions this is my first diesel.

Sponsored

IOS-XR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator HA Diesel, 21 Silverado LT Diesel
Occupation
CTO
I just rolled 3k so Iā€™m not sure what this is worth. The manual says go by the % of oil life left. Thereā€™s no way Iā€™d go to 10k miles with the break in oil. Iā€™m planning on changing at 5k. Do the same with my diesel Silverado.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I donā€™t know about Jeep but some car companies specifically state to leave the initial oil in until the vehicle says to change it as it is specific oil for break in. As long as the maintenance minder is not saying to change it I wouldnā€™t worry too much about it. I do like to rotate the tires every 5k, I believe it helps them to wear evenly, I cross rotate them front to back.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
It's motor oil and not a gallon of milk that is going to expire in a week. You will be fine to make the trip and have it changed when you get there.

I like to change early also but have driven plenty of vehicles to their first recommended oil change interval and nothing was there to suggest it hurt doing that.

Reactions: Mac

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I donā€™t know about Jeep but some car companies specifically state to leave the initial oil in until the vehicle says to change it as it is specific oil for break in.
No, not any more - what car companies state that? Most companies put in exactly what they suggest you use later. There's no specific "break-in" oils -
For one thing - you want oil to prevent wear and prevent scuffing.
And oil that would be different would allow wear - how do you program an oil to allow wear in some places and not others?
You want oil to prevent wear. What's going to be different? In the 40s and mid 50s it was non-detergent oil - yikes, a big no-no today. So what is different about the formulation that makes it special, that allows break in but still prevents any wear? A contradiction.

What's to truly "break in"? I have books - one from Ford, saying "break in is not necessary" - and one from Perfect Circle (Dana corp) saying return car to customer, further break in is not needed (written for people like me who overhaul engines)

I could post a long thing on that, maybe I'll just post a link later, but "break-in" oil these days is simple the first oil put into the engine. Not something special.
I build my engines, I put in the exact same oil I'm going to use later - the only difference is I change it sooner.
As far as later changes - that 10,000 miles is dependent on many things - heat, dirt, load, among other factors. It's an ideal number based on ideal conditions.
If you run the thing hard and get the oil hot - you have shortened the oil's life.
If you run in dusty, dirty conditions, you have shortened the oil's life.
If you make short runs in cool temperatures, you have shortened the oil's life.
If it idles a lot, you have shortened the oil's life.

I will never take my oil to 10,000 miles even though there are some times I could consider "ideal conditions" driving.
My first oil change was at about 3,000 miles. Interesting - I've never had a misfire, not had it ping, it doesn't "use oil", etc.

The 4.0 I did a performance build on - I put it together, put in the oil I always used in it, primed the system, put it in the car, started it, topped off fluids (coolant, etc.) and drove it. That's it. At about 1,000 miles I changed oil.
That's exactly what we were taught in college engine classes.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Not needed. I believe engineers and my experiences over 4 decades (and college training) before such sites SELLING OIL.
I will never, I have never, used break-in oil. When companies that make engines put in the same oil that they recommend you use, that says something. When people like me build engines and put in the same oil I'll be using later and hundreds of us do just that, it should say "break-in oils are over-hyped".

I believe engineers, Perfect Circle, Ford and SAE engineers before I believe a site selling oil.
I know what Perfect Circle (MAKER OF RINGS and other parts) says, I have quotes from Ford and others.
Here's what an SAE member says after testing oils -

10. BREAK-IN OILS ā€“ DO WE REALLY NEED THEM?

First, a little background info so that we are all on the same page. The independent and unbiased Engineering testing I perform at a REPRESENTATIVE OPERATIONAL TEMPERATURE, to establish motor oil wear protection capability, is a dynamic friction test under load, similar to how an engine dyno test is a dynamic HP/Torque test under load. Both tests show how their subjects truly perform in the real world, no matter what brand names are involved, no matter what outrageous claims may have been made, and no matter what their spec sheets may say.

The fact is, motor oil wear protection capability is determined by the base oil and its additive package ā€œas a wholeā€, with the emphasis on the additive package, which is what contains the extreme pressure anti-wear components, and NOT merely by how much zinc is present. The use of zinc as the primary extreme pressure anti-wear component is outdated technology. Modern extreme pressure anti-wear components are equal to or better than zinc, which is why many modern low zinc oils outperform many traditional high zinc oils.

They are typically high zinc lovers who just canā€™t accept the fact that what theyā€™ve always believed about the need for high zinc oils, is only an Old Wives Tale MYTH. So, they get upset and go out of their way trying to undermine anything that goes against what they have been brainwashed to believe about high zinc oils. But, emotion does not determine how good any particular oil is. Factual Engineering tests have proven over and over again that zinc levels alone DO NOT determine an oilā€™s wear protection capability. The naysayers cannot back-up anything they say, but I back-up everything I say with hard Engineering test data that exactly matches real world experience.

Now, on with Break-In Oil information.

So-called Break-In oils are typically hyped by claiming they provide for quick ring seating while providing extra wear protection for other parts. Of course no oil can be formulated to ā€œallowā€ the wear of only certain parts, AND to ā€œpreventā€ the wear of other parts, at the same time. It has to be formulated for one or the other, which we will see below.

When impossible Marketing claims like that are made, it is only to sell product, no matter what the truth really is. Many would call that blatant false advertising, which motor oils are famous for. The absolute best oils and the absolute worst oils all make the same claim about how great they are. Until my wear protection capability test data became available, buyers had no way of knowing which oils actually live up to those claims and which ones donā€™t. Because we now know that looking at the zinc level alone, is absolutely worthless, and tells you nothing about an oilā€™s wear protection capability.
Letā€™s take a look at component quantities of several Break-In Oils, from the Lab Tests performed by ALS Tribology in Sparks, Nevada.

Lucas 30 wt Break-In Oil, conventional
zinc = 4483 ppm
phos = 3660 ppm
moly = 3 ppm
total detergent/dispersant/anti-deposit build-up/anti-sludge = 1104 ppm
TBN = 5.9
This oil has by far, the highest level of zinc/phos I have ever come across. It has way more than twice the amount of zinc that begins to CAUSE wear/damage. Because of that, the extremely low level of TBN, and the extremely low level of detergent, this oil should be used for only a very short time, as a Break-In oil would suggest.

Comp Cams 10W30 Break-In Oil, conventional
zinc = 3004 ppm
phos = 2613 ppm
moly = 180 ppm
total detergent/dispersant/anti-deposit build-up/anti-sludge = 4234 ppm
TBN = 14.7
This oil also has by far, way too much zinc/phos. It has way more than enough zinc to begin causing wear/damage, rather than prevent it. Because of that, this oil also should be used for only a very short time, as a Break-In oil would suggest.

Edelbrock 30 wt Break-In Oil, conventional
zinc = 1545 ppm
phos = 1465 ppm
moly = 4 ppm
total detergent/dispersant/anti-deposit build-up/anti-sludge = 3452 ppm
TBN = 10.6
This oil is manufactured for Edelbrock by Torco.

Royal Purple 10W30 Break-In Oil, conventional
zinc = 1170 ppm
phos = 1039 ppm
moly = 0 ppm
total detergent/dispersant/anti-deposit build-up/anti-sludge = 3184 ppm
TBN = 9.8

As you can see above, there is absolutely no consistency at all, between the Break-In oils that were fomulated by these various Oil Companies. These oils are all over the place and bouncing off the walls. We see zinc from 1170 ppm to 4483 ppm. We see phos from 1039 ppm to 3660 ppm. We see detergent levels from 1104 ppm to 4234 ppm. And we see TBN values from 5.9 to 14.7. WOW!!! These oils couldnā€™t be much more different, and yet they are all aimed at the EXACT SAME Break-In oil market. It makes you wonder if these Oil Companies have any idea what they are doing, and if they even test these oils to see what they can really do.

So, letā€™s take a look at the wear protection these oils and several other Break-In oils, actually provide, and see how they rank just among themselves, according to their ā€œLoad Carrying Capacity/Film Strengthā€ psi value. This data will tell us once and for all, what the Oil Companies would not, and that is, whether the oils are formulated to ā€œallowā€ wear or ā€œpreventā€ wear.

The Wear Protection reference categories are:

ā€¢ Over 105,000 psi = INCREDIBLE wear protection

ā€¢ 90,000 to 105,000 psi = OUTSTANDING wear protection

ā€¢ 75,000 to 90,000 psi = GOOD wear protection

ā€¢ 60,000 to 75,000 psi = MODEST wear protection

ā€¢ Below 60,000 psi = UNDESIRABLE wear protection

The higher the psi , the better the Wear Protection

1. 30wt Amsoil Break-In Oil conventional = 78,192 psi
zinc = 2051 ppm
phos = 1917 ppm
moly = 0 ppm

2. 30wt Edelbrock Break-In Oil conventional = 69,160 psi
zinc = 1545 ppm
phos = 1465 ppm
moly = 4 ppm

3. Royal Purple 10W30 Break-In Oil, conventional = 62,931 psi
zinc = 1170 ppm
phos = 1039 ppm
moly = 0 ppm

4. Crane Cams 10W40 Break-In Oil, conventional = 62,603 psi
zinc = TBD, but bottle claims high zinc formula
phos = TBD
moly = TBD

5. 30wt Brad Penn, Penn Grade 1, Break-In Oil, conventional = 56,020 psi
zinc = TBD, but the bottle claims high zinc
phos = TBD
moly = TBD

6. 10W30 Comp Cams Break-In Oil, conventional = 51,749 psi
zinc = 3004 ppm
phos = 2613 ppm
moly = 180 ppm

7. 15W50 Joe Gibbs Driven BR Break-In oil, conventional = 51,299 psi
NOTE: Total Seal also sells this Break-In Oil with their label on it.
zinc = TBD
phos = TBD
moly = TBD

8. 30wt Lucas Break-In Oil, conventional = 49,455 psi
zinc = 4483 ppm
phos = 3660 ppm
moly = 3 ppm

9. 5W30 Joe Gibbs Driven BR30 Break-In Oil, conventional = 47,483 psi
NOTE: Total Seal also sells this Break-In Oil with their label on it.
zinc = TBD
phos = TBD
moly = TBD

Anyone who has followed my previous oil tests, knows that the wear protection capability psi values provided by most of these Break-In oils is quite low overall. Only the Amsoil made it into the GOOD WEAR PROTECTION category (75,000 to 90,000 psi). Edelbrock, Royal Purple and Crane Cams oils made it into the MODEST WEAR PROTECTION category (60,000 to 75,000 psi), while the Brad Penn, Comp Cams, Lucas and both Joe Gibbs Break-In oils managed only the UNDESIRABLE PROTECTION category (below 60,000 psi).

In comparison, the highest ranking oil (with no aftermarket additives) on my Wear Protection Ranking List, is 5W30 Motul 300V Ester Core 4T Racing Oil, synthetic = 112,464 psi, with a zinc level of 1724 ppm. That oil provides FAR GREATER wear protection capability than even the top ranked Amsoil Break-In oil here. And it provides nearly 2 1/2 times as much wear protection as the lowest ranked Joe Gibbs Break-In oil here.

So, now we finally know that because of their low wear protection capabilities, these Break-In oils are formulated only to allow wear, and are NOT formulated to provide a high level of wear protection. Of course it was impossible for them to be capable of both things at the same time, in spite of their advertising claims. And without the type of dynamic wear testing performed here, we would have never known what these Break-In oils were truly formulated for.

Every oil test Iā€™ve performed, showed that the level of zinc has nothing to do with an oilā€™s wear protection capability, nor its ranking against other oils. And weā€™ve seen it yet again here, that high zinc levels do NOT always provide better wear protection. In fact, the ULTRA HIGH zinc Lucas Break-In oil, ended up in next to last place in wear protection capability for this group of Break-In oils.

And no one can complain that my test equipment and test procedure do not allow high zinc oils to perform at their highest level. Because here are some high zinc (over 1100 ppm) conventional, semi-synthetic, and full synthetic oils that Iā€™ve tested previously. And they all produced test results of at least 90,000 psi, which put them all in the ā€œINCREDIBLE or OUTSTANDING WEAR PROTECTIONā€ categories.

5W30 Motul 300V Ester Core 4T Racing Oil, synthetic = 112,464 psi
zinc = 1724 ppm
phosphorus = 1547 ppm
moly = 481 ppm

10W30 Lucas Racing Only, full synthetic = 106,505 psi
zinc = 2642 ppm
phos = 3489 ppm
moly = 1764 ppm

5W30 Joe Gibbs Driven LS30 Performance Motor Oil, synthetic = 104,487 psi
zinc = 1610 ppm
phosphorus = 1496 ppm
moly = 0 ppm

10W30 Valvoline NSL (Not Street Legal) Conventional Racing Oil = 103,846 psi
zinc = 1669 ppm
phos = 1518 ppm
moly = 784 ppm

10W30 Valvoline VR1 Conventional Racing Oil (silver bottle) = 103,505 psi
zinc = 1472 ppm
phos = 1544 ppm
moly = 3 ppm

10W30 Valvoline VR1 Synthetic Racing Oil, API SL (black bottle) = 101,139 psi
zinc = 1180 ppm
phos = 1112 ppm
moly = 162 ppm

30 wt Red Line Race Oil, full synthetic = 96,470 psi
zinc = 2207 ppm
phos = 2052 ppm
moly = 1235 ppm

10W30 Amsoil Z-Rod Oil, full synthetic = 95,360 psi
zinc = 1431 ppm
phos = 1441 ppm
moly = 52 ppm

10W30 Quaker State Defy, API SL (semi-synthetic) = 90,226 psi
zinc = 1221 ppm
phos = 955 ppm
moly = 99 ppm

As youā€™ve seen above in the poor performing high zinc break-in oils and immediately above in the excellent performing high zinc non-break-in oils, the zinc levels completely overlap among all those poor performing and excellent performing oils. So, that is absolute proof once and for all, that you simply CANNOT predict an oilā€™s wear protection capability based on its zinc level alone.

Now the brainwashed high zinc believers have ironclad data to show them that everything they have always believed about only needing to look at zinc levels, is total nonsense. Zinc levels alone are completely worthless. Only film strength/load carrying capability from dynamic wear testing under load, can tell us which oils provide good wear protection and which oils donā€™t. If the high zinc believers donā€™t grasp the value of this information, then they will never be able to select the best possible oil for their needs.

A fair number of people have been able to get away with using these poor performing Break-In oils in high performance flat tappet engines without a problem. But, they typically were only able to do that with these oils by following elaborate and worrisome break-in procedures. Those break-in procedures typically include removal of the inner valve springs, to reduce the pressure between the lobes and lifters. They also typically follow the routine of keeping the engine at around 2,500 rpm for 20 minutes, etc, etc. Everything they do as part of their elaborate and nerve wracking break-in procedure, is only a crutch to prevent wiping lobes because these break-in oils provide such poor wear protection. But, if high ranking oils were selected instead, and used for Break-In, people wouldnā€™t have to go through all that, because NO elaborate break-in procedures would be required with those far superior high ranking oils.

People think they have to go through all this break-in agony, because they assume parts quality isnā€™t that high, even when using parts from reputable Industry leading companies. They never even consider for a moment that their beloved high zinc oils are to blame. But, as you can see above, these break-in oils show that they put flat tappet engines at serious risk of failure, because of their poor wear protection capability, even though they have high zinc levels. People typically believe they are getting sufficient wear protection because of all that zinc, from what the bottles and/or websites claim. But, now we know that the hype about great wear protection was nothing more than false advertising snake oil. These oils are formulated only to allow wear, by having low wear protection capability, in spite of their high zinc levels.

And that is precisely why there are still so many flat tappet wiped lobe engine failures at break-in and shortly thereafter. When people use these poor performing break-in oils, in flat tappet engines, they are simply playing Russian Roulette with their engines. They may be OK, or they may suffer engine failure. Itā€™s extremely iffy, because the margin of safety is about zero with these oils. But, it does NOT have to be that way if a highly ranked oil is chosen instead.

Itā€™s a similar situation where a fair number of people have managed to get away with using low zinc oils with aftermarket zinc additives added into those oils, for breaking-in high performance flat tappet engines. Some people were able to squeak by with this type of oil concoction that also provides only minimal wear protection capability. But, quite a few people have experienced wiped lobe engine failure doing this. These people also ā€œthoughtā€ they were getting outstanding wear protection, from what those zinc additive bottles and/or websites claimed. But, Engineering test data has proven over and over again, that simply having high zinc levels, is no guarantee of having sufficient wear protection.

I tested the zinc additives ā€œZDDPlusā€ which added a whopping 1848 ppm zinc when added at the recommended quantity, and ā€œEdelbrock Zinc Additiveā€ which added 573 ppm zinc when added at the recommended quantity. Each zinc additive was tested in two full synthetic oils and one conventional oil. And in EVERYONE of the six test oils, the wear protection capability DROPPED SIGNIFICANTLY.

The ā€œZDDPlusā€ caused a drop of about 25% on average, and the ā€œEdelbrock Zinc Additiveā€ caused a drop of about 34% on average. The oils with the ā€œZDDPlusā€ ended up having a ā€œLoad carrying capacity/Film strengthā€ of only 58,855 psi on average. And the oils with the ā€œEdelbrock Zinc Additiveā€ ended up having a ā€œLoad carrying capacity/Film strengthā€ of only 51,930 psi on average. That puts them into the UNDESIRABLE PROTECTION category (below 60,000 psi). So, the wear protection capability of these oil concoctions, was right in the exact same range as most of the Break-In oils tested here. Oil Companies have typically said to NEVER add anything to motor oil, because doing that will ruin an oilā€™s carefully balanced additive package and its resulting chemical properties. And they were absolutely correct, because that is precisely what the test data showed.

Itā€™s also a similar situation where a fair number of people have managed to get away with using Diesel oils for breaking-in high performance flat tappet engines. They were able to squeak by with Diesel oil even though these oils also provide only minimal wear protection capability, which puts their engines at a substantial risk of failure. These folks ā€œthoughtā€ they were getting outstanding wear protection. But, I tested 13 different popular conventional and synthetic Diesel oils, including the ā€œOLDā€ Rotella, and they had a ā€œLoad carrying capacity/Film strengthā€ of only 72,408 psi on average, putting them in the MODEST PROTECTION category (60,000 to 75,000 psi). This wear protection capability puts them right at the upper range of the Break-In oils tested here.

To summarize, most of the Break-In oils, the low zinc oils with aftermarket zinc added to them, and the Diesel oils, provided about the same level of modest to undesirable wear protection in gasoline engines. And that makes most of them a risky proposition for use as Break-In oils.

This points out that all the effort, including elaborate break-in procedures, that people go through with these motor oils, in order to prevent wiped lobes in High Performance flat tappet engines, is misguided because these oils DO NOT provide the best wear protection in the first place. There are far better motor oil choices readily available.

Many people probably have a gut feeling that whatever Break-In oil they use, should not be overly protective against wear, so that components can break-in quickly. Thatā€™s why you often hear people say to break-in an engine with conventional oil, then later switch to synthetic, even though they arenā€™t aware that an oil being conventional or synthetic does not determine its wear protection capability.

But, then the flat tappet guys often want to have max protection against wear to avoid wiped lobes. So, they will then often choose conventional oil with high levels of zinc, ā€œfalsely believingā€ that will help increase the oilā€™s wear protection. But, as mentioned many times before, ā€œwear testingā€ and ā€œlab testingā€ have ALWAYS shown that the level of zinc does NOT determine an oilā€™s wear protection capability. No more than the level of gas in your tank determines how much HP your engine makes.

Weā€™ve only looked at the ā€œlower endā€ of the spectrum of Break-In oils, which are formulated to allow break-in wear. But, since things just arenā€™t that simple, letā€™s also take a look at the ā€œupperā€ end of the spectrum of Break-In oils. Consider the following facts.

Countless thousands of brand new Performance cars have come off the production line, factory filled with full synthetic motor oil. Weā€™ve seen this for years in both domestic and import Performance Cars. Perhaps the most commonly known is the full synthetic 5W30 Mobil 1 that comes in High Performance GM vehicles. Also the Ford GT Sports Car of a few years back, as well as Fordā€™s Supercharged Shelby GT500 Mustangs, came factory filled with full synthetic 5W50 Motorcraft oil.

That full synthetic 5W30 Mobil 1, API SN oil ranks in the top 10% of all the oils Iā€™ve tested, with a ā€œLoad carrying capacity/Film strengthā€ value of 105,875 psi. And the full synthetic 5W50 Motorcraft, API SN oil also ranks in the top 10% of all the oils Iā€™ve tested, with a ā€œLoad carrying capacity/Film strengthā€ value of 103,517 psi. With the extremely impressive wear protection capability provided by these oils, if any oils would interfere with ring seal and proper break-in wear overall, these oils would be the ones to do it. But, that is simply not a problem, and of course these vehicles all come with a normal factory warranty.

CONCLUSION:

We know that countless High Performance factory engines, both 2 valve and 4 valve, have nicely broken-in for many, many years with NO ring sealing problems what so ever, using various oils with high wear protection capability. In addition to that, using oils with excellent wear protection capability, has worked perfectly fine for breaking-in in traditional High Performance flat tappet engines, and have proven that NO elaborate break-in procedures are required at all. You can simply fire the engine and drive the car with no drama and no worries. Try doing that with the poor performing high zinc Break-In oils.

So, why would anyone ever believe that you need so-called Break-In Oils with poor their wear protection capability, when these oils are simply NOT needed for ring seal (properly built engines will seal/seat their rings almost immediately no matter what oil is used), and they put High Performance flat tappet engines at serious risk of wiped lobe engine failure? Plus, they require elaborate break-in procedures if there is any hope at all of getting away with using these poor performing oils. Bottom Line: So-called Break-In oils are simply not necessary and can also put flat tappet engines at serious risk.

OP
OP
AXISJT

AXISJT

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lab manager
Holy crap that is a lot of info. I can't even tell if the question in my original post was answered or not šŸ˜µ

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I think you broke Google on that last post.
LOL
Seriously, it's amazing to me:
Those who have engineering degrees and have tested oil for years - doesn't hold a candle to blogs and oil marketing sites.
Dana/Perfect Circle - makers of rings and other parts for decades, doesn't count if some brand of oil says you must use break-in oil.
Ford - doesn't matter what they say, Ford is apparently wrong (even though THEY are the ones responsible for warranty on their engines) if some forum posts, a blog or site promoting oil says you must use xxx.
Car makers around the world have been using ordinary oils in cars and trucks going out the door for years but the old-school stuff from grandparents is still king.

BTW - Google has been broken since the 1990s ;-)

Oh - this is from a FORD site -
Ford's own Motorcraft brand is a synthetic blend. It's what came new in your truck (2003 model year and later), but they aren't the only ones that will work.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Holy crap that is a lot of info. I can't even tell if the question in my original post was answered or not šŸ˜µ
Change it at whatever you choose. I'd not go near the 10,000 on a first oil change - and I'd base change intervals more on my knowledge of my own driving and weather conditions than the % left the truck says, but there's no reason to not change it at 3,000, more or less, if you choose to.
This isn't 1960.

Jeep Gladiator Question first oil change. ford-break-in

From the JT owner manual -

The engine oil installed in the engine at the
factory is a high-quality energy conserving type
lubricant. Oil changes should be consistent with
anticipated climate conditions under which
vehicle operations will occur.
For the recommended viscosity and quality
grades, refer to ā€œFluids And Lubricantsā€ in
ā€œTechnical Specificationsā€

Last edited:

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
Change it at whatever you choose. I'd not go near the 10,000 on a first oil change - and I'd base change intervals more on my knowledge of my own driving and weather conditions than the % left the truck says, but there's no reason to not change it at 3,000, more or less, if you choose to.
This isn't 1960.

Jeep Gladiator Question first oil change. ford-break-in
"Unusual accuracy"? LOL.

IMO, first oil changes are to clean out any misc production debris and shouldn't be delayed too long.

In racing, our engine builder would give us the engine, we'd stick it in the car, run it, clean the filters, and race it. After a race we'd change it. Then race it 3-4 more races before changing it again. And we'd still be finding bits of blue silicone and cork.

One racer I know was tearing apart an engine and after removing the intake he found his dad's cigar in the valley.

My sister and I competed on the longest oil change distance. We made it to the low teens. Both vehicles ended up going well over 100,000 miles.

I remember back in the day oil changes were supposed to be done every 3500 miles. Now, it's between 5000-7500 miles.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Here's the bottom line. You will be FINE driving from CA to TN in your current situation. BUT, you need to stop periodically, let the engine cool down for at least 15 minutes, and check your oil level.

These engines are notorious for burning oil when they are new, typically in the first 5,000ish miles before the piston rings seat fully. I've had two of these engines that both barely showed oil on the dipstick by the time they reached 3,000 miles, and a lot of other people have seen the same.

So, yes you can wait until Tennessee to change the oil and filter. But DO make sure that along the way you're verifying the oil level is still coming up on the dipstick. And remember that the engine needs to sit for 15-30 minutes before checking the dipstick in order to be accurate.

This is a side note that sort of goes along with this thread in general: The manual states to never under any circumstances exceed 10,000 miles on oil, which insinuates you should be changing it well before that. My oil life monitor always hits 0% before 8,000 miles, which is about right for this engine and this oil spec that it uses.

OP
OP
AXISJT

AXISJT

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lab manager
Here's the bottom line. You will be FINE driving from CA to TN in your current situation. BUT, you need to stop periodically, let the engine cool down for at least 15 minutes, and check your oil level.

These engines are notorious for burning oil when they are new, typically in the first 5,000ish miles before the piston rings seat fully. I've had two of these engines that both barely showed oil on the dipstick by the time they reached 3,000 miles, and a lot of other people have seen the same.

So, yes you can wait until Tennessee to change the oil and filter. But DO make sure that along the way you're verifying the oil level is still coming up on the dipstick. And remember that the engine needs to sit for 15-30 minutes before checking the dipstick in order to be accurate.

This is a side note that sort of goes along with this thread in general: The manual states to never under any circumstances exceed 10,000 miles on oil, which insinuates you should be changing it well before that. My oil life monitor always hits 0% before 8,000 miles, which is about right for this engine and this oil spec that it uses.
Thanks, man I appreciate the info. I have been keeping an eye on the oil because I heard it burns quick before the first change I bought some Motul 5w-40 synthetic to top up the oil before I leave and during the trip.

The White Rabbit

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Self Employed
I just rolled 3k so Iā€™m not sure what this is worth. The manual says go by the % of oil life left. Thereā€™s no way Iā€™d go to 10k miles with the break in oil. Iā€™m planning on changing at 5k. Do the same with my diesel Silverado.
My sentiments exactly. I did mine at 5k
Sponsored