Sponsored

Really considering a Gladiator... Some questions on pricing, transmissions and off road capability

AKDrifter

First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I have the manual. It is growing on me. I think it's actually a good way to save 2k. It is basically a 5 speed. Going 70 in 5th I'm turning 2300rpm or so. It does take a little time to get used to it's clutch. It will lay rubber very easily in 1st or 2nd. I've done it a few times unintentionally. I've also stalled it a few times. It just took a little while to get the feel for it. My '16 Tacoma was a manual as was our Honda so we have a few other contemporary manuals to compare to. I'm pretty happy with it I wouldn't go back to the automatic which I had in my Charger. It was a good set up that car was quick even with the 3.6 but it wasn't a manual convertible.
Sponsored

CarolinaGladiator

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Velocity JTR
Because wider axles and if you increase tire size at all or tow, you’ll be greatful
These reasons alone are enough but Max Tow also gives you lower gear ratio, upgraded engine cooling, high output alternator, highest available tow rating.

The Overland looks nice but IMO is less truck/Jeep for more money and the Rubicon was out of reach financially.

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
It seems dealers negotiate much less these days in general. I bought mine in July of this year and as of that time, I was just glad there was no dealer mark up.
I'll bet you could find a sub $40K Sport/S, but you'll have to look for it. I've seen a couple online, but on the two dealer lot's I've been to frequently, I've only seen Sports at 40-43K.

OP
OP
surge101

surge101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
It seems dealers negotiate much less these days in general. I bought mine in July of this year and as of that time, I was just glad there was no dealer mark up.
I'll bet you could find a sub $40K Sport/S, but you'll have to look for it. I've seen a couple online, but on the two dealer lot's I've been to frequently, I've only seen Sports at 40-43K.
Yeah... I just refuse to pay more when I don’t have to. If other dealers are able to offer lower prices, they all can sell at that price and make their goals. The idea of paying for market value (nothing) is something I’ll never be ok with. I’ve pissed off many car salesman, but I usually get a reasonable deal. Buying this jeep has been the toughest experience with that.

LandoZ

First Name
Orlando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2020 Land Rover Discovery Sport
6sp manual rubicon owner. Go with the automatic unless you absolutely love driving manuals. The 6spd in this truck is not bad at all. throws are surprisingly pretty short. they seem shorter than my 2012 mazda 3 i had. the clutch is very light and does not give much feedback. i will say it is also pretty forgiving. it is no sports car 0-60 is slow but not terrible. in stop and go traffic it does well. i have no issues getting off the line and keeping up. getting up to speed for highway driving does take some planning when merging. when passing you will have to go down to 4th to pass a vehicle. again if you love driving a manual its a lot of fun. not the best manual but pretty good. i have owned 3 vehicles with a manual. a 2009 civis si, 2012 mazda 3 and this gladiator. it definitely not as good as the civic but a whole lot better than my mazda.

i have not gone off road yet, but i have tried 4wd. my drive way has a little step up at the end of it. its about 4". i put the front tires up against it and 4wd high i let off the clutch slowly with a very little throttle input and it went right up. tried it in 4wl with no throttle and it went right up with no issues. in fact you can even press on the break and pretty much come to a complete stop before it will feel like its going to stall.

Sponsored

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
6sp manual rubicon owner. Go with the automatic unless you absolutely love driving manuals. The 6spd in this truck is not bad at all. throws are surprisingly pretty short. they seem shorter than my 2012 mazda 3 i had. the clutch is very light and does not give much feedback. i will say it is also pretty forgiving. it is no sports car 0-60 is slow but not terrible. in stop and go traffic it does well. i have no issues getting off the line and keeping up. getting up to speed for highway driving does take some planning when merging. when passing you will have to go down to 4th to pass a vehicle. again if you love driving a manual its a lot of fun. not the best manual but pretty good. i have owned 3 vehicles with a manual. a 2009 civis si, 2012 mazda 3 and this gladiator. it definitely not as good as the civic but a whole lot better than my mazda.
probably one of the most fair opinions on the manual that I have read.

Gatorgladiatorcanuck

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator overland
Occupation
Surveyor / Fly fishing guide
If you are planning on towing I would look at the automatic vs the manual transmission. Tow rating is only 4500lbs on the manuals

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
Drive the manual. It does not drive like the sports cars you are used to. The gears are taller. Takes some learning. I'm a die hard manual guy. Even had a manual 85 Suburban. I have the automatic as they would not sell the manual to me due to a recall in May. I find it nice for wheeling, but I miss my clutch. I guess the important thing here is, no matter what way you decide to go, you'll be smiling. I love driving mine. You sound like someone who wants a vehicle that you just will enjoy driving and you can't help but love driving the Gladiator.

Wish I could afford a Rubicon, but paying 40k for the sport s is already out of my budget, so the Rubi just won’t happen. Hoping I could still get by customizing a Sport S.

Doesn’t seem to be many opinions on the manual. I found a dealer about two hours away from me that is claiming to be able to make a deal with me on one.

Racer_X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Rubicon Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
If you buy a hard top, you get the wiring already set up. Plus it will do a better job of keeping in the AC in Miami. You can also add insulation to the hard top for sound deadening and temperature control. You can add a bestop for open/shut capability over the driver's portion and get the best of both worlds.

You can also get a soft top later if you wish, or more likely a sunshade.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Sport and Sport S can be had for under 40K. The MSRP might be $42 or $43K but there are dealers selling for cheaper. I just purchased a Sport S Max Tow with some nice features for $37,500 with extended warranty. MSRP on it was $43,300. Would I have loved more off sure but I am happy with things which is what counts. I don't have all the bells and whistles of the ACC, blind spot or Cold Weather package but I am good with the features I got.

As for the wiring for the Hard Top I looked at a few soft tops on the lot and the wiring was in place should someone want to put a hard top on. I just popped the cover on the corner and it was secured and tucked into the slot. They were curious why I was looking and I told them I had heard that the soft tops didn't come with prewiring should you go to Hard Top.
Sponsored