OVRLND_G8R

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Gator
Hey all,

I’ve searched the forums, but can’t seem to find anything providing the solution to some rear end bouncing.

so far starters…. The mods
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
- 2.5” Clayton overland plus lift kit (comes with the triple rate springs)
- falcon 3.3 shocks
- 35x12.5 Goodyear duratrc at 28 psi
- smartcap, 270 awning, iKamper 2.0, fridge/freezer ( so a decent amount of weight which will only grow when fully loaded for camping trips)

What’s happening is when hitting bumps, mainly the segmented concrete highway, I get a bad bounce that is only up and down. No sway during this. It is repetitive and constant until the segmented Highway section ends and the truck smooths out almost instantly. I do notice the same feeling on side streets where it provides a similar situation.

I have adjusted the shocks settings messing with them to see if adjustments would solve the issue. No luck.
I’ve removed the weight from the truck, and it seemed to get a little better but did not solve it.

i redesigned the mounting of the iKamper to lower it closer to roofline to see if reducing the amount of air getting under the RTT would help, which it did but the bouncing is still present

are other people experiencing this and I am just being to critical on the truck?

Any advice, things to check, etc would be greatly appreciated

thank you
Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Did you torque your control arm bolts while the Jeep was sitting level on the ground? Almost sounds like the bushings are bound up, from torque set when the axles are flexed down.

OP
OP
OVRLND_G8R

OVRLND_G8R

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you torque your control arm bolts while the Jeep was sitting level on the ground? Almost sounds like the bushings are bound up, from torque set when the axles are flexed down.
yessir. On the ground and on a level concrete slab. Could the wrong torque cause this? Maybe I’ll check my torque on all control arms

Richard79

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep gladiator sport, 2013 Jeep Wrangler saha
Occupation
Oil field
It’s not sitting on the bumpstops is it?

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
If you got a lot of weight back there you'll probably always get some bounce, especially if it's a stretch of wavy highway to keep adding energy in to the system.

Sponsored

alpineovernappa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTSS 3.0 & 2006 LJ 6mt
Is it a single bounce? If so, this is pretty normal for pick up trucks. Almost sounds like somebody drops a bowling ball in the bed one time.

OP
OP
OVRLND_G8R

OVRLND_G8R

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s not sitting on the bumpstops is it?
I will check after work, but don’t believe it is.

If you got a lot of weight back there you'll probably always get some bounce, especially if it's a stretch of wavy highway to keep adding energy in to the system.
I expect some bounce but it seems excessive. I did test it removing all the weight minus the smartcap. Got slightly better but still occurred. Unsure if I’m being over critical now that I’m paying attention to it. Maybe I can take a video of it

OP
OP
OVRLND_G8R

OVRLND_G8R

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is it a single bounce? If so, this is pretty normal for pick up trucks. Almost sounds like somebody drops a bowling ball in the bed one time.
it Continues the duration of the segmented highway. More segments. The harsher it gets

alpineovernappa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTSS 3.0 & 2006 LJ 6mt
it Continues the duration of the segmented highway. More segments. The harsher it gets
Ah, ok. Mine makes a bouncing noise every time I go over a bump or separation in the segmented Highway, but it’s just a single drop for each imperfection in the road, not ongoing

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
If you go over a speed bump at decent speed does it bounce once or keep bouncing up and down. The highway is just adding energy and the harmonics could be catching it at the right interval to just keep amplifying it.

If it keeps bouncing it sounds under dampened to me.

Sponsored

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
It's nearly impossible to diagnose this type of condition with a person not familiar with terminology and methods used in the industry.

My suggestion would be to set up a camera while driving over an obstacle that causes the condition you are experiencing and post it up. One of my favorite methods is upload to YouTube where the playback can be slowed down to .25x speed.

I have not used the Falcon shocks myself, but I can see from the way vehicles react on "Influencer" videos that they are light on the rebound. I have found through my own shock tuning that the Clayton springs require a LOT more rebound than the Fox 2.5's and I suspect many off the shelf shock tunes provide.

OP
OP
OVRLND_G8R

OVRLND_G8R

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you go over a speed bump at decent speed does it bounce once or keep bouncing up and down. The highway is just adding energy and the harmonics could be catching it at the right interval to just keep amplifying it.

If it keeps bouncing it sounds under dampened to me.
interesting. I will have to try this and report back. I will perform the test on the firmest setting and the softest setting and see what the results are. I hope these falcon shocks are adjustable enough to work. I see plenty of people running heavy loads with these shocks and haven’t seen them post anything similar to my situation.

Or like you said, it’s just specific to that interval that I luckily drive almost everyday lol

81Mojave

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2010 JKU
Occupation
Transportation
X2 on the video, makes it much easier to diagnose. As stated prior you are probably running out of rebound dampening.
I would suggest you air up before you film

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Not an answer to your question, but I have a stock JTR and I find the Gladiator to be one of the worst vehicles on harsh washboard dirt roads that I've ever driven. Something about the solid axles and the tuning on the shocks, I'm guessing, but I have to crawl on roads that an IFS could tear through.

Its a trade I'm willing to make but there are certain roads that drive me crazy...

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
interesting. I will have to try this and report back. I will perform the test on the firmest setting and the softest setting and see what the results are. I hope these falcon shocks are adjustable enough to work. I see plenty of people running heavy loads with these shocks and haven’t seen them post anything similar to my situation.

Or like you said, it’s just specific to that interval that I luckily drive almost everyday lol

Take your rear shocks and turn them if you have the mode adjust falcon's. you most likely are exceeding the dampening available from the shocks and need to swap to the higher dampening rate...

If your nearing bottom out then the shocks will push to extend quickly due to the nitrogen charge. Typically adjustment on most shocks are for compression only. I believe the SP2 Mode adjust changes both.
Sponsored

Attachments