Rear locker engaging automatically in 2H

BlackDog

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR / 2005 Grand Cherokee
This first popped up for me when towing back in September. Same symptoms, although I wasn't able to actually get the rear locker to engage when I wanted it to as some have said here. It's definitely not locked, but the light is either solid or flashing depending on the amount of rainfall in China.

I took the Jeep in to have the dealer look at it and, of course, the light never came on for them. After I picked it up, 20 minutes later the light came on (of course.) I'll try getting a video to my dealer and see if that's enough to get the work scheduled. They were definitely aware of the issue and have fixed it in other Jeeps before.
Sponsored

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
It's not just towing, I've towed since I had the problem, my 2021 Mojave had the lights coming on at 90 miles, showing locked but it was not, hitting the lock button locked it. I did the taser axle sensor bypass thing, locks and unlocks lights shows it is supposed to be locked and it is, the sensor just confirms it is. I really had a hard time taking my new jeep in for an axle swap when they still put the same sensor in the replacement axle. I spent the $170 and am not sure that I'll ever have it fixed or at least I'll wait for an upgraded sensor.....Jack

BlackDog

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's not just towing, I've towed since I had the problem, my 2021 Mojave had the lights coming on at 90 miles, showing locked but it was not, hitting the lock button locked it. I did the taser axle sensor bypass thing, locks and unlocks lights shows it is supposed to be locked and it is, the sensor just confirms it is. I really had a hard time taking my new jeep in for an axle swap when they still put the same sensor in the replacement axle. I spent the $170 and am not sure that I'll ever have it fixed or at least I'll wait for an upgraded sensor.....Jack
Agreed. I towed plenty prior to the issue popping up, but I was towing when it first happened. I may need to look closer at that tazer option but I'll see how things go with the dealer first.

Mickey1961

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Sales
If it's like the JK the locker should still work. It's just the sensor. Light has been blinking on and off in my JKR for months. I can still engage and disengage the lockers with no issue.

You'll know if it's locked the first turn you make on dry pavement. The inside rear tire will hop. If that's not happening you're good.
20201128_194118.jpg

Mickey1961

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Sales
Well it's been happening for two months took it into jeep dealership and the light would go off and not engage and they wouldn't fix it even I showed them videos of it happening
well this time it stayed on and they told me that it's a actuator and its back ordered and told me if they cant get the part they are going to change the rear differential

Sponsored

Zdevil13

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Dropped it off this morning to get the replacement diff installed. Only took three months and a week from when the parts dept ordered it until it arrived. Should get the truck back tomorrow night.

Zdevil13

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Got it back this evening. New rear end. They moved over the axles and brakes from the original. No lights on the dash on the way home, I hardly remember driving it without them. Hopefully I don’t get a repeat of all of this the next time I take the trailer out camping.

Mickey1961

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Sales
Got it back this evening. New rear end. They moved over the axles and brakes from the original. No lights on the dash on the way home, I hardly remember driving it without them. Hopefully I don’t get a repeat of all of this the next time I take the trailer out camping.
Just picked mine up today as well

Haroldgladi

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Teacher
I had the same problem after pulling my rv. I added the z locker oem and problem fixed. Here's how I installed it.

Sponsored

Patzgladi77

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Healthcare IT
Anyone have issues with rear locker engaging in 2H?

Came on while driving, turned off and now flashing. Can’t get it to stop engaging every few times I drive, or at least it thinks it’s engaged. No tazer, no suspension or drivetrain mods.
Have appointment on Monday to get it looked at.

I haven’t ever even used 4L yet, just had first oil change and they did a software recall while in (assuming not related to causing this issue but this issue happened next day). Assuming bad sensor or actuator, anyone else have this issue yet? 3900 miles.
I just experienced this starting this past Friday 7/16/21 while towing a 6x12 TA trailer loaded with 4 dirt bikes from Georgia back to Florida. The instrument panel showed my rear locker being locked and I checked the Off-Road pages too and it showed it was locked. I tried to unlock the rear lockers but no change. I did the turn test and it does not appear that the rear is actually locked. I kept cruising back on I-75 at 70 mph with no issues. I took pics and video to show my dealer. I was just there for a service last week and they updated the firmware on the powertrain control module (pcm) to the latest level 18-19-06-DB 0.3 68433756ai-ak. I am thinking it has something to do with that Since I have been towing my trailer or off roading with no issues prior to the update.

10F86DAE-8FDA-4096-9973-F4AAA1F77C85.jpeg

399C4AC4-5576-40F5-B2B5-0CAFCC639BBD.jpeg

anavrinIV

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed3, 1956 F100
Occupation
Engineer
My truck started doing this in early July after I got back from a trip across the country, no towing or anything it was sitting in the airport parking lot for 4 days and when I got home the light popped on almost immediately. Never noticed it before then.

Took almost 2 weeks to get a proper dealer appointment with a loaner and another 9 days to finally come to the conclusion that I need a new axle. Axle is on order and will take a couple weeks (I was told) to arrive, then it will go back for the transplant.

BlackDog

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A new axle was the result for me, as well. I realized I never posted back with my result.

This is making me think more about an extended warranty in case it happens again.

Patzgladi77

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Healthcare IT
My truck started doing this in early July after I got back from a trip across the country, no towing or anything it was sitting in the airport parking lot for 4 days and when I got home the light popped on almost immediately. Never noticed it before then.

Took almost 2 weeks to get a proper dealer appointment with a loaner and another 9 days to finally come to the conclusion that I need a new axle. Axle is on order and will take a couple weeks (I was told) to arrive, then it will go back for the transplant.
yeah sounds like I got to make a phone call soon to get this scheduled. Thanks for sharing your the info.

Jeepgasms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
My JT has been in the shop for almost a month with this issue. The axle to fix it is on back order with no eta in sight. I will be discussing an extended warranty once fixed. The dealer loaned me a truck to use for my summer trips, but I’m seriously considering a new Mohave trade in. I haven’t heard of the same issue on the Mohave?
Sponsored